Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:21 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Unfortunately, thats the nature of 'law enforcement positions'...people having this much authority over other people, is never a good idea long term.

Needs to be a 2 year or less time limit on serving as a police officer.
I think cities should elect their own police officers and after 2 yrs, other people need to fill the spot. The problem is people having authority for long periods of time.
takes a year to train a cop, then work a year and fire them? sounds like a great idea.... elect them?

Old 07-04-2020, 02:54 PM

4,944 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
So as a Conservative, I turn it over to my more left wing friends and ask in a spirit of enlightened debate: Why “Defund Police” rather than “Discipline Police”?
In my city, they are driving around today attempting to ticket bored residents for lighting fireworks.
We don't need them for this, nor do we want 38% of our city budget tied up in too many police.
Police whose starting rookie salary is $70K, way more than teachers make.
That $$ could be spent for better things; like social programs.
There is no reason we should even be seeing police, unless they are called.
Their union holds every municipality/taxpayer in this country hostage, but we as a city are now working on cutting their budget; and their policing for profit.
I am not opposed to policing, but we simply have way too many in this country with not enough to do.
Police in this country can be much more effective with less of them, it's the moronic police chiefs that are all old school; and don't know how to implement their forces properly.
And then we have the old fact of them not arriving until after a crime, the reason gun sales are now at record pace.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:06 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Defunding the police will be source for great entertainment. It will be fun to watch these liberal cities go into full mad max scenarios.

These city's will regret defunding the police when the tourists stop coming and majority of the businesses move out. Crime will be rampant no one will be safe including the idiot politicians that didn't have the courage to listen to the majority of the residence and instead bent over backwards to satisfy the extreme minority views.

Defunding the police is the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:29 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Defunding the police will be source for great entertainment. It will be fun to watch these liberal cities go into full mad max scenarios.

These city's will regret defunding the police when the tourists stop coming and majority of the businesses move out. Crime will be rampant no one will be safe including the idiot politicians that didn't have the courage to listen to the majority of the residence and instead bent over backwards to satisfy the extreme minority views.

And if you think traffic is bad now, wait until there's no one to enforce the traffic laws. It would be like a demolition derby on the roads.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:36 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
I can't believe some of these responses.

An official instead of a cop for a stolen car? How about that being a cool down period for the officer? Do you want them only in high stress situations? That will really work out well.

Defund doesn't mean defund? For many politicians it does. "White people will have to get used to not calling the police because someone broke into their garage." That is what 1 politician said. The mayor of Oakland has some really dumb statements.

An anecdote about a neighbor that is ok now because of a social worker. How often will that work. It was after the police were there times before and able to ascertain the possibility of danger to a non officer.

They don't want the police to enforce fireworks laws? Tell the PTSD victims, elderly, and pet owners. Setting off fireworks at home is the equivalent of dating your cousin.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post

I’d love to see either Seattle, NYC, Chicago or Minneapolis try it. Of course, I don’t live in any of these cities.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
In my city, they are driving around today attempting to ticket bored residents for lighting fireworks.
We don't need them for this, nor do we want 38% of our city budget tied up in too many police.
Police whose starting rookie salary is $70K, way more than teachers make.
That $$ could be spent for better things; like social programs.
There is no reason we should even be seeing police, unless they are called.
Their union holds every municipality/taxpayer in this country hostage, but we as a city are now working on cutting their budget; and their policing for profit.
I am not opposed to policing, but we simply have way too many in this country with not enough to do.
Police in this country can be much more effective with less of them, it's the moronic police chiefs that are all old school; and don't know how to implement their forces properly.
And then we have the old fact of them not arriving until after a crime, the reason gun sales are now at record pace.
if only people would call in crimes before they happen this wouldn't be a problem....

Old 07-04-2020, 06:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's a really dumb slogan.

The effect on a huge portion of the public is to infer that the police should be disbanded. Not a cool motto to be brandishing during a time of civil unrest.

Suggestion: "REFORM the police."

I agree. I also think there is a lot of space to reform the police. There are plenty of duties they have that should be handled by other departments. I'd also like to see police spend way more time investigating serious crime, and not doing B.S. like traffic ticket to hit a quota.

I think this book is a really informative look at how policing is failing low-income Black and Brown communities - where there is not enough policing on the violent crimes - and all of the struggles of getting that crime procesecuted. (Hint, hint - it isn't because people don't want to "snitch," it is because there is no protection for you if you tell and someone wants to retaliate.). Anyway, Ghettoside is a great read.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Defund doesn't mean defund? For many politicians it does. "White people will have to get used to not calling the police because someone broke into their garage." That is what 1 politician said. The mayor of Oakland has some really dumb statements.

An anecdote about a neighbor that is ok now because of a social worker. How often will that work. It was after the police were there times before and able to ascertain the possibility of danger to a non officer.

They don't want the police to enforce fireworks laws? Tell the PTSD victims, elderly, and pet owners. Setting off fireworks at home is the equivalent of dating your cousin.
I live in Oakland, since the police are understaffed, it really doesn't matter if you call the police about your garage break-in, no one is going to investigate the issue. So why call? They aren't coming, they will not collect evidence. Literally nothing will happen. The police doesn't bother with small burglaries. Even if you have a video, a name, and an address. But you can file a police report online for your insurance claim.

In Oakland, we are better served having the police focus on serious stuff officially. Unofficially that aren't looking at the other stuff anyway. Might as well save the resources.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:02 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
It just another way of expanding bureaucracy. Like "social workers" are going to get some homeless meth head junkie to stop screaming and breaking windows and pooping wherever they please. Police (as a general rule) are grossly overpaid, I'll give them that.
I would like to see a social worker at a domestic dispute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates