Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 02:37 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Are there any of you who used to think that this is a hoax, but sadly had to eat your words when a loved one of yours passed away from it? I feel sorry for you and hope you spread the word (not the virus)

Just today on Facebook, a death announcement (not a hoax-I checked) went around for a young man in his 30's who tweeted (the tweet was an actual copied screen shot) earlier this year that Covid is a hoax, masks aren't necessary and neither is self-distancing.

How tragically sad, he was wrong. He paid for the carelessness with his life.

Last edited by gouligann; 07-11-2020 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 06:49 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Drunk driving kills, and we don't need to lose a relative to a drunk-driver to realize that drunk-driving is no hoax. But it would be silly to avoid the highways, just because we realize that despite stringent laws, there will still be a certain amount of drunks on the road.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:07 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,492 times
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...ng-covid-party

30 year old covid party attendee's last words: I thought this was a hoax.

But. Whatever.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:07 PM

111 posts, read 95,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruishi View Post
Hello! I've seen referenced skepticism regarding coronavirus, and some people saying it is a hoax (using that word specifically). It seems to me that the opinion that "its a hoax" is different than those who think the pandemic is real but "overhyped." Then there are those who think its real and needs a strict (hyped?) response. I know plenty of people who don't think its a hoax, and either advocate for a less hyped response or advocate for a strict response so I'm familiar with those two perspectives.

But I haven't seen anyone really going into detail about the reasons the "hoax" perspective and I'm curious what the reasoning is. I'm just curious to understand this perspective, and I am NOT asking this question as to create a place to attack anyone's opinion or create an argument. I just want to hear the perspective - from the people who personally have concluded that they believe the pandemic is a hoax.

So, if you personally are a person who believes the coronavirus pandemic is a hoax, could you please outline the logic, line of reasoning, and/or evidence that lead you to that conclusion? Again - I'm not here to attack anyone's beliefs or opinions. Just curious. No hidden agenda - I just want to understand and see it from multiple perspectives.

I'm not creating this thread to start an argument about why coronavirus is or is not a hoax, so please dont attack the people sharing their perspective. I really just would like to hear the perspective of those who have drawn the "its a hoax" conclusion in a neutral setting. I'm just here to listen.

Thank you in advance to those willing to share their "its a hoax" perspective - I appreciate you taking the time to write it out.
The damage to the economy far, far outweighs the loss of life from the virus. The average age of death for those infected is something like 79 years old. Literally old people that are supposed to die anyway, so why the over reaction and shut down? The odds of dying from this is you are younger and healthy are miniscule. The reaction from the media and from democrats (especially democrat governors) has been incredibly partisan in an attempt to affect the election. The virus is real, but the threat is not. From hydroxychloriqiun being proven to actually reduce deaths another 50% months AFTER the media said it killed people (including a faked scientific report), the CCP's obvious involvement in attempting to coverup and reduce western response, the total lack of credibility of any journalists what-so-ever, the WHO cow towing to the CCP even though the US provides the majority of its funding, the sudden and dramatic drop off of normally reported deaths due to pnuemonia coupled with the same increase in deaths by this virus, the numerous reports of empty hospitals, the numerous reports of falsified death certs. with covid as cause of death, etc. etc. etc. This virus is about as deadly as the flu. Any person that takes the media hype at face value at this point is going through live with blinders on willingly. Is the virus real? Yes, is it enough of a threat to warrant the destruction of the economy? No. For every 1% in the unemployment rate 60k people die. We hit 20%....The cure is more harmful than the disease.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:18 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruishi View Post
Hello! I've seen referenced skepticism regarding coronavirus, and some people saying it is a hoax (using that word specifically). It seems to me that the opinion that "its a hoax" is different than those who think the pandemic is real but "overhyped." Then there are those who think its real and needs a strict (hyped?) response. I know plenty of people who don't think its a hoax, and either advocate for a less hyped response or advocate for a strict response so I'm familiar with those two perspectives.

But I haven't seen anyone really going into detail about the reasons the "hoax" perspective and I'm curious what the reasoning is. I'm just curious to understand this perspective, and I am NOT asking this question as to create a place to attack anyone's opinion or create an argument. I just want to hear the perspective - from the people who personally have concluded that they believe the pandemic is a hoax.

So, if you personally are a person who believes the coronavirus pandemic is a hoax, could you please outline the logic, line of reasoning, and/or evidence that lead you to that conclusion? Again - I'm not here to attack anyone's beliefs or opinions. Just curious. No hidden agenda - I just want to understand and see it from multiple perspectives.

I'm not creating this thread to start an argument about why coronavirus is or is not a hoax, so please dont attack the people sharing their perspective. I really just would like to hear the perspective of those who have drawn the "its a hoax" conclusion in a neutral setting. I'm just here to listen.

Thank you in advance to those willing to share their "its a hoax" perspective - I appreciate you taking the time to write it out.
The people that believe this are the same idiots who don't believe in science. They will believe in the disease when they are in the hospital or a friend or family member croaks.

Sorry, absolutely no respect for these kinds of idiots. The sad thing is some of them are breeding.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I feel like this has been explained a zillion times. No one wants to hear it.

There is a corona virus.

it is deadly in a a small percentage of the population.

In no way shape or form should any precautions be taken by 65% of the public.

But it is a hoax that is is "dangerous" to the majority of the public including children.
It is a hoax that we need to be sheltering.
It is hoax that masks work (we had 70K cases yesterday -- we are all wearing masks)
It is hoax that the virus will cause long term problems in anything but the most rare cases.
It is a hoax that there are not effective treatments right now.
It is a hoax that the CDC essentially does nothing but spread panic.
It is a hoax that Trump has anything to do with it. He has, as he should have done, deferred to the CDC. Trump is not a doctor. He also doesn't have control over states.
On a daily basis the virus is the third leading cause of death in the US, behind heart disease and cancer.

Precautions should be taken by 100% of the population because anyone could be infected and not know it.

It is potentially dangerous to anyone. People of all ages are dying, including some children.

Social distancing helps disrupt spread of the virus.

We will not know for some time whether people will have long term damage from the virus. There is good reason to believe that those who have had clotting problems and strokes and heart attacks will, and those who have had amputations certainly will.

It is certainly a hoax that the CDC essentially does nothing but spread panic, since that is not what it does.

Mr. Trump's response has not been optimal. he should have turned it over to the epidemiologists and supported them without making off the cuff remarks and tweets.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:05 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
I don't think there are many people who cling to the notion that the virus is fake anymore. There are still quite a few who are convinced it's not much of a threat.

Ironically it's kind of like the people in 2016 who were sure that Hillary Clinton was going to win based on the polls. --

Americans are mathmatically illiterate and have no
idea how probabilities work. It's why they waste so much money on the idiotic lottery.

If 70,000 people got covid19, some of them WILL die. It is inevitable. From my latest google search as of today for the case fatality rate, it's about 1.4% So 980 of the 70k, will ne dead in 4-8 weeks. Less likely if you're younger. If you're in your 30s like I am, it's more like 0.3%, so if that 70k was all 30-somethings, "only" 210 would die.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-11-2020 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 11:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Ironically it's kind of like the people in 2016 who were sure that Hillary Clinton was going to win based on the polls.

She did win...the popular vote. That's a mathematical fact.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:15 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
She did win...the popular vote. That's a mathematical fact.
But she did have about a 25-30% chance of losing even on her best days... If those were gambling odds I'd have come out of Vegas rich.

I do gamble now and then, and have lost more bets that had 80% probability than I care to admit.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-12-2020 at 12:07 AM..

Old 07-12-2020, 10:39 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
If the virus was the only thing some American's regard as a hoax I'd be less concerned. All the talk of how our schools are "good" and sometimes even "great," flies in the face of all those Jay Leno man in the street quizzes. Participants are asked which direction would one take to get to the Atlantic or Pacific ocean, or his health quiz which always was always good for a laugh. It seems as though we go to school but the masses don't always learn all that they should nor do they understand how to do their own research when considering the truth of things.

In light of Jay's quiz results, I'd have to say that no one should be surprised that we have serious doubters among us, with regard to the COVID 19 debacle. The science of Epidemiology is an exacting one--on one hand, and on the other we find a willingness, in the research arm of that group, to continue to learn about the unknowns. Meaning that there are aspects of the virus which are still viewed as murky images which call for more research, but surely those questions are not to be taken as proof of the charge that this is a hoax.

Many Americans believe in ghosts, witches, demons, and all manner of extraterrestrial life forms, so why would we be thinking that we live in an enlightened society, simply because the majority of us aren't in that group of anti science Troglodytes? No, we believe we are enlightened because we haven't allowed that group of people with lesser abilities to rule. But as we move into the future, it's possible that the numbers of those intellectually challenged people may grow to the extent that they begin to weave their fears and ignorant notions into the realm of national policy making. And then, there are days when I see that fear and ignorance has already infected America's leadership.

https://patch.com/us/across-america/...tually-believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates