Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 01:43 AM

25 posts, read 17,815 times

Advertisements

Hello! I've seen referenced skepticism regarding coronavirus, and some people saying it is a hoax (using that word specifically). It seems to me that the opinion that "its a hoax" is different than those who think the pandemic is real but "overhyped." Then there are those who think its real and needs a strict (hyped?) response. I know plenty of people who don't think its a hoax, and either advocate for a less hyped response or advocate for a strict response so I'm familiar with those two perspectives.

But I haven't seen anyone really going into detail about the reasons the "hoax" perspective and I'm curious what the reasoning is. I'm just curious to understand this perspective, and I am NOT asking this question as to create a place to attack anyone's opinion or create an argument. I just want to hear the perspective - from the people who personally have concluded that they believe the pandemic is a hoax.

So, if you personally are a person who believes the coronavirus pandemic is a hoax, could you please outline the logic, line of reasoning, and/or evidence that lead you to that conclusion? Again - I'm not here to attack anyone's beliefs or opinions. Just curious. No hidden agenda - I just want to understand and see it from multiple perspectives.

I'm not creating this thread to start an argument about why coronavirus is or is not a hoax, so please dont attack the people sharing their perspective. I really just would like to hear the perspective of those who have drawn the "its a hoax" conclusion in a neutral setting. I'm just here to listen.

Thank you in advance to those willing to share their "its a hoax" perspective - I appreciate you taking the time to write it out.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,550,081 times
I think your wish that this not turn into an argument if/when someone posts their logic regarding why they think this virus is a hoax is very wishful thinking. Kind of human nature to argue when something as decisive as this virus and the various responses to it are brought up. I think those thinking this is a hoax are a very small minority. Meaning if they had to bet their life on it I doubt very many would believe it's truly a hoax. But I'm interested to see some responses as well.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:04 AM

24,690 posts, read 17,432,698 times
The virus is real and it is real threat to everyone and especially the elderly and those with underlying health issues. It is easier to catch than the Flu and tougher to fight through but most that are healthy to start with do beat it while others catch it and don't even know. It is better to be safe than sorry so wear a mask and keep your distance.

As far as the hoax goes I don't know about that but what is close to a hoax and is certainly crooked and wrong is how a certain political party has used the virus as a weapon against a certain President. They have put a great fear that the virus is lurking outside their door and it will kill you. The media hypes the death toll but seldom do they highlight the numbers of people that have recovered from the virus. They have locked down the economy and put a real hurting on workers and business owners.

The real hoax is that this political party actually cares for the average citizen but they do care more about power and blaming the President for everything.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:15 AM

7,254 posts, read 4,591,023 times
I feel like this has been explained a zillion times. No one wants to hear it.

There is a corona virus.

it is deadly in a a small percentage of the population.

In no way shape or form should any precautions be taken by 65% of the public.

But it is a hoax that is is "dangerous" to the majority of the public including children.
It is a hoax that we need to be sheltering.
It is hoax that masks work (we had 70K cases yesterday -- we are all wearing masks)
It is hoax that the virus will cause long term problems in anything but the most rare cases.
It is a hoax that there are not effective treatments right now.
It is a hoax that the CDC essentially does nothing but spread panic.
It is a hoax that Trump has anything to do with it. He has, as he should have done, deferred to the CDC. Trump is not a doctor. He also doesn't have control over states.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,630,264 times
Lightbulb For Those Who Believe Coronavirus is a Hoax: Why?

No need for any analysis paralysis here.

A certain % of any large population is extremely susceptible to patently stupid directives from who they take to be "authorities."

Some dishonest charlatan tells them it's a hoax, and they uncritically accept it.

It's so much easier than thinking.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,795,478 times
Unfortunately, you cannot rely on the the media or the govt these days to provide the general public with cold hard facts.

I have very liberal neighbors in their early 30's that rely strictly on the nightly news for information and they barely even come out of their house. No one is allowed over, they let packages sit on their doorstep for days, they wipe down their groceries, etc.

On the flip side, I have other liberal friends in their early 30's who are healthcare workers and say most of what you see on the news is false information (at least in our neck of the woods) and they do not wear masks, social distance, etc.

Corona virus is real, but the hoax is the false reporting to the general public in order to get them to do what they want. It is up to the everyday person to question what the media tells us and to form our own opinions based on facts rather than bias opinions.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:05 AM

3,979 posts, read 5,811,558 times
A lot of people here probably don't think it it is a hoax but are too inclined to live their lifestyles as to care how it affects the nation as a whole. That includes the governors down South who reopened their states too early and folks in D.C. clamoring to fully reopen schools in the Fall. Canada and Europe are doing much better in curbing the virus than we are. The real hoax is the U.S. thinking we're in just as good as a position as Canada, Europe, and much of the rest of the world and we're not. Now that they all shut us out from travel until we get our act together, the joke is on us.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:10 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,389,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
A lot of people here probably don't think it it is a hoax but are too inclined to live their lifestyles as to care how it affects the nation as a whole. That includes the governors down South who reopened their states too early and folks in D.C. clamoring to fully reopen schools in the Fall. Canada and Europe are doing much better in curbing the virus than we are. The real hoax is the U.S. thinking we're in just as good as a position as Canada, Europe, and much of the rest of the world and we're not. Now that they all shut us out from travel until we get our act together, the joke is on us.
I'm not sure I'd want to be traveling right now regardless if another country bans us or not.

I think people adapt to bad news and move on. During WW2 in the London blitz, there was no mass exodus of Londoners who rushed out of the city into the country. Most people stayed in London despite nightly bombing attacks.

Sometimes people get used to fear and uncertainty, and choose to continue to live their lives the best way they know how. That human resilience at work.

I know someone who hasn't left the house since March. A heavy smoker, elderly. Even after a few months, she is done with being cooped up in her house and has left the house recently to go run errands, stop by the grocery stores, the bank, etc.

I wish we had more N95 masks readily available. That cheap solution would halt most Covid cases. It's a shame supply has not caught up to what is required.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I feel like this has been explained a zillion times. No one wants to hear it.

There is a corona virus.

it is deadly in a a small percentage of the population.

In no way shape or form should any precautions be taken by 65% of the public.

But it is a hoax that is is "dangerous" to the majority of the public including children.
It is a hoax that we need to be sheltering.
It is hoax that masks work (we had 70K cases yesterday -- we are all wearing masks)
It is hoax that the virus will cause long term problems in anything but the most rare cases.
It is a hoax that there are not effective treatments right now.
It is a hoax that the CDC essentially does nothing but spread panic.
It is a hoax that Trump has anything to do with it. He has, as he should have done, deferred to the CDC. Trump is not a doctor. He also doesn't have control over states.
Perhaps you will be like my neighbor, who learned the hard way (through death), who conducted his life during the pandemic just as you discuss here.

Old 07-11-2020, 02:27 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,274,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The virus is real and it is real threat to everyone and especially the elderly and those with underlying health issues. It is easier to catch than the Flu and tougher to fight through but most that are healthy to start with do beat it while others catch it and don't even know. It is better to be safe than sorry so wear a mask and keep your distance.

As far as the hoax goes I don't know about that but what is close to a hoax and is certainly crooked and wrong is how a certain political party has used the virus as a weapon against a certain President. They have put a great fear that the virus is lurking outside their door and it will kill you. The media hypes the death toll but seldom do they highlight the numbers of people that have recovered from the virus. They have locked down the economy and put a real hurting on workers and business owners.

The real hoax is that this political party actually cares for the average citizen but they do care more about power and blaming the President for everything.

There is a virus called the Wuhan Chinese virus or Covid take your pick they are the same. Are people dying? Yes. Is it a hoax? No!

But do we need to keep our country closed down? NO, NO, NO.

Everyone who is at risk, wear a mask, not a 100 percent protection but better than nothing. But really, do people want to live their lives shivering in the basement?

I'm 72; no real health issues that would be affected by the Wuhan virus but still I'm old. Very active and I'll be damned if I am going to hid in my house shivering like a coward. I am going to get out and about and take precautions on where I am going. But so far, I am going every place I have wanted to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates