Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 07:32 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Round one goes to Belichick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 07:39 AM

24,482 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Round one goes to Belichick.

I watched the Pats / Miami game and it was classic Belichick of hitting the opposition where they are the weakest and that was with the running game. I'm not a fan of the running QB and Cam took a few hard hits as he scrambled around but he is still learning the playbook and I think he will settle in.

Miami is a good team but they can be hit or miss when it comes to playing the Pats so one wonders how tough the game actually was for the Pats. There was that nice drive that ended on the one with a fumble through the end zone. Now on the other hand Brady at Tampa Bay was forced to play a consistently tough team in the Saints on his first outing. Of course turning the ball over twice is never a good idea.

There was a funny meme on FB this morning with Tom sitting on the Tampa bench with the near final score below and a look of concern on his face. The caption was "Did I make a terrible mistake?"

Better luck next time Tom.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
As a lingering Bucs fan, I would love to see Brady do well in Tampa - for his sake and theirs. But, the opener left little doubt Tampa needs to improve in overall timing and in line positions needed to keep tacklers off the aging Brady. Arians has always been a good coach, Tampa has picked-up some great players and Brady is clearly a hall of fame quarterback. But, will that be enough? (There is NO real Brady versus Belichick issue. They are two people with two lives!).

The questions are: Can Tampa come together fast enough to protect Brady from injury; and How much 'gas' does Brady have left in the tank (even with New England caliber protection?). These days, I suppose a third question is: How much longer will the fans tolerate the COVID situation and the replacement of 'football' with multi-millionaire players crying about 'social injustice?'

Sadly, the 'end' is inevitable for even the greatest players (Favre, Manning, Brady, Breez, Montana, etc). Unfortunately, it's more difficulty to predict the end of the ongoing 'social activist/political protest climate,' but, even that will eventually end.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As a lingering Bucs fan, I would love to see Brady do well in Tampa - for his sake and theirs. But, the opener left little doubt Tampa needs to improve in overall timing and in line positions needed to keep tacklers off the aging Brady. Arians has always been a good coach, Tampa has picked-up some great players and Brady is clearly a hall of fame quarterback. But, will that be enough? (There is NO real Brady versus Belichick issue. They are two people with two lives!).

The questions are: Can Tampa come together fast enough to protect Brady from injury; and How much 'gas' does Brady have left in the tank (even with New England caliber protection?). These days, I suppose a third question is: How much longer will the fans tolerate the COVID situation and the replacement of 'football' with multi-millionaire players crying about 'social injustice?'

Sadly, the 'end' is inevitable for even the greatest players (Favre, Manning, Brady, Breez, Montana, etc). Unfortunately, it's more difficulty to predict the end of the ongoing 'social activist/political protest climate,' but, even that will eventually end.

It is not so much Tom V Bill because they are individuals but together they were a force. Bill has great talent as a coach. Brady has great talent as a QB. The question is did the match up of these 2 greats create the Patriots dynasty and how much success can each achieve without the other?

The problem last season in New England was that the front line couldn't protect Brady long enough for the receivers to get open and when they did they seem to drop more balls than were caught. I only watched the highlights of the Tampa game but it sounds like they were having trouble keeping Tom standing. Brady will get frustrated with that as he did in NE. Any QB needs protection and receivers that can get open and hold onto the ball.

As for the social justice and covid they are overshadowing the games so far. Time will tell how it all plays out.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
I llok at it as simply as, "neither of them has the same success without the other. But both probably have some measure of success on their own."

Belichick's record in Cleveland and prior to Brady in New England is undeniably mediocre. We are about to get our first look of Brady without Belichick. He is older, but the Bucs offense is absolutely loaded with weapons for him.

Belichick's coaching style almost needs a superstar player like Brady, who is also willing to put the team first. Professional football players are grown men who don't appreciate being treated as harshly as Belichick is known for. But if Tom Brady is sitting there taking it, what's your excuse?

Belichick's defenses gave Brady the opportunity to learn and grow into the player he is. Brady's offenses covered up a lot of weak years for Belichick's defense later on.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this all plays out.
As a long suffering (until Brady) Patriots fan, I am ready for them to go back to being just The Patriots, not THEE PATRIOTS.

Cam did a great job Sunday so Belichick looked good.

Tom dropped the ball, 2 pics, yet still got 23 points. IMO the rest of the team, both O and D, stank to high heaven.

Saints were on top of their game too. If Breese had retired, Tom would be playing for them. That would have been another interesting scenario to watch.

This social justice thing is for the birds.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:09 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
As a long suffering (until Brady) Patriots fan, I am ready for them to go back to being just The Patriots, not THEE PATRIOTS.

Cam did a great job Sunday so Belichick looked good.

Tom dropped the ball, 2 pics, yet still got 23 points. IMO the rest of the team, both O and D, stank to high heaven.

Saints were on top of their game too. If Breese had retired, Tom would be playing for them. That would have been another interesting scenario to watch.

This social justice thing is for the birds.

Social Justice thing and birds made me think of the Eagles (birds SJW) versus The Washington (redskins no more due to SJW) Football Team on Sunday. Eagles up 17-0 and the Washington Football Team comes back to win very fitting. (I know its silly too but had to mention it).

As for Brady vs Belichick the marriage analogy makes sense. What made them so unique is the mindset of both towards the game. Both have an endearing love of the game AND a internal burning desire to be the best at what they do which is rare.

Brady fits the ideal psych profile for it. Not the most physically blessed (wasn't highly recruited) nor high on the 'combine' level, but off the charts on intangibles. Brady as a child idolized the 49ers. He didn't have the physical gifts of Steve Young but his sheer grit and willpower to be the best elevates players around him. He was a average baseball catcher with an above average arm. Guys like this who persevere have leadership due to an inner fire and heart. And this is said by someone who personally doesn't care for Brady but has come to appreciate his unique desire.

Belichick son of career military man and average player took the discipline of learning and knowing the talents (scouting) of players to identify the best way to evaluate, and utilize talent, who values multi faceted 'football' players and scouts for those often overlooked based on "combine" qualities only. Again it's an inner fire / desire to be the best and willing to sacrifice the time spent to have the most information best intel / strategy to win.

In many ways you had the perfect confluence of coach and player. Dedicated wise coach and a player slow to develop physically during formative years who works tirelessly at every aspect.

It would be like if LeBron James had the formative years / mindset of Nate Archibald and played for Lenny Wilkins.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:35 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Social Justice thing and birds made me think of the Eagles (birds SJW) versus The Washington (redskins no more due to SJW) Football Team on Sunday. Eagles up 17-0 and the Washington Football Team comes back to win very fitting. (I know its silly too but had to mention it).

As for Brady vs Belichick the marriage analogy makes sense. What made them so unique is the mindset of both towards the game. Both have an endearing love of the game AND a internal burning desire to be the best at what they do which is rare.

Brady fits the ideal psych profile for it. Not the most physically blessed (wasn't highly recruited) nor high on the 'combine' level, but off the charts on intangibles. Brady as a child idolized the 49ers. He didn't have the physical gifts of Steve Young but his sheer grit and willpower to be the best elevates players around him. He was a average baseball catcher with an above average arm. Guys like this who persevere have leadership due to an inner fire and heart. And this is said by someone who personally doesn't care for Brady but has come to appreciate his unique desire.

Belichick son of career military man and average player took the discipline of learning and knowing the talents (scouting) of players to identify the best way to evaluate, and utilize talent, who values multi faceted 'football' players and scouts for those often overlooked based on "combine" qualities only. Again it's an inner fire / desire to be the best and willing to sacrifice the time spent to have the most information best intel / strategy to win.

In many ways you had the perfect confluence of coach and player. Dedicated wise coach and a player slow to develop physically during formative years who works tirelessly at every aspect.

It would be like if LeBron James had the formative years / mindset of Nate Archibald and played for Lenny Wilkins.

Delete the last sentence as LBJ was obviously a prodigy and freak of physical nature from Junior High - so terrible (turribel- as Charles Barkley would say) analogy. It is more like if one of the late blooming late NBA draft picks from a non major conference turns into a perennial all star that leads team to multiple titles as a point guard by being paired with the ideal basketball coach to mentor him.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:36 AM

Another round, week 2 and Brady looked good while Belichick came up short at the one yard line. The Seahawks looked great and they really wanted that win while the Patriots not so much. Both teams played very well on both sides of the ball.

I do wonder if Brady was still on the team what would have happened with the ball on the 1 with 3 seconds left and the game on the line.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
You really need to have a lot of talent around you to be great. Dan Marino comes to mind as he was no doubt one of the greatest QB's, but he never had a super great team for most of his career. He was great though. Anyway, there is one heck of a lot more than these two people going on with the teams they are involved with. NE Patriots have a ton of talent still, but Brady is a huge loss. The QB is the most powerful position in football, but defense often wins Super Bowls.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:49 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
As any casual fan of the NFL knows Tom Brady has left the New England Patriots after 20 years of playing with them. He is now with the Tamp Bay Bucaneers.

They say that Brady is the GOAT, the Greatest Of All Time to ever play.

They say that Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all time but did one make the other shine?

The great debate is will Brady be able to play at a high level without Belichick and will Belichick still put out a winning team without Brady?

Will they both have so so seasons without one another or will they both continue on to set records?

That is if the season will go on in the covid days.
I'm wondering if both teams will now having cheating scandals or if it was just a Patriots thing all along...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates