Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 07:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times

Advertisements

I agree with the two previous posters.
That said I have a weakness for hyphenated first names.
Marie-Claire and Ann-Sophie in particular. Chantal also works for me.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Or Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes?
Porsche and Lexus sound like stripper names to me...same with Bambi lol

Old 11-10-2020, 08:51 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Robert A. Heinlein expressed a thought about feminine names in relation to physical appearance in his novel Stranger in a Strange Land, when he had his character Jubal Harshaw state: "A girl's name ending in 'a' – that always suggests a 'C' cup."

My name doesn't end in an "a", but I'm not saying whether Jubal Harshaw got it right or wrong.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:12 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
This is something that I have been wondering about recently. I'm not sure how to quantify it, but at least in my observation, people with a select group of names tend to be consistently physically attractive.

Three of the names that jump to the forefront of my mind are Alyssa, Emily, and Hannah. I have met a lot of women with these names, and almost all of them that I have known personally have been very physically attractive. It doesn't seem like there should be any correlation, but at least in my observation, it's been so consistent that I can't help but wonder.

Somewhat related to this is the online dating scene. I've been browsing through a few online dating apps, due both to Covid-19 loneliness and trying to take my mind off of some things that I wrote about in another thread. In addition to Alyssa, Emily, and Hannah, many of the women I have stumbled across named Delaney, Julia, or Nicole have also consistently been quite physically attractive.

On the flipside, there are a few names that seem to go with people who I personally don't find as physically attractive (doesn't mean I don't like them as people, I'm just not physically attracted to them). I'm not going to name these names, but it's essentially the same consistency.

Obviously, there are many attractive people in this world with many different names, but some names just seem to share a pretty consistent level of attractiveness. Also, I am attracted to women, but to those of you who are into men, have you noticed a similar name/physical attractiveness phenomenon?

Note: this is not meant to say that looks are more important than personality, or anything like that. I'm sure many of us have met someone who was easy to look at, but miserable to be around...
I have always thought that! I never really liked my name. I always secretly felt if I had been Katie or Cindy or Tiffany I'd have been a cute, popular cheerleader. Never saw a beauty contestant or cheerleader named Myrtle or Agnes.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:16 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
I think people named Rachel tend to be pretty....and nice.....and humble.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:16 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
I disagree. IMO the names Hannah and Emily don't correlate with physical attractiveness. They both sound like homely, old fashioned women. Maybe some of you today consider these names to sound beautiful and maybe even hot but in my day these names weren't desirable.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:19 AM

7,908 posts, read 3,450,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Picture this:
A girl named Bambi.

An older woman who used to be attractive in the 70's/early 80's who is now trying hard to hang on to her youth with too much makeup and a bad dye job with grey roots.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:39 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Not if you have a large enough sample set, but if you only have a few, it can sway one's perception. For example, I think women named Emmerson are hot and foxy. Why? I only know of one and she has natural feline like facial features with freckles, a body like an Olympic downhill skier (i.e. a high Reproductive Fitness Assessment ranking -think Lindsay Vonn) and is pleasant.

Or the Leeza (if that's really her name) I've recently encountered who is an angelic blue eyed blond haired beauty. Perfect central casting for the wholesome women's cosmetics type commercial.

I think it really it based on the individuals one knows combined with perhaps mass media depictions or of what name may be popular at a specific time. For instance, if you look up the US Census baby names by commonality per year you will see the patterns of generational names and how at a certain time in pop culture there may be a famous person or mass media program influencing the rise in popularity in names which in turn may impact your perception of the name toward physical beauty or personality perception.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/psyc...l#post58437050

Then you get archaic names that just don't conjure up images of beauty. My apologies to any Bertha's or Murgatroyd's.

As for Bambi and other such endearing names people give to children (or "performers") they tend not to transfer to later years well. As in they don't seem appropriate in the juxtaposition to old age.

Speaking of nice sounding names:

Holly Pena and Callie Entay are muy bueno!

Old 11-11-2020, 09:15 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I disagree. IMO the names Hannah and Emily don't correlate with physical attractiveness. They both sound like homely, old fashioned women. Maybe some of you today consider these names to sound beautiful and maybe even hot but in my day these names weren't desirable.
I think a lot of the names that people in their 30s and older would consider "old-fashioned" are coming back now... Hannah, Emily, Sophie, Olivia, Emma, Amelia, etc... all names I wouldn't dream of giving a child because I'd think they'd put people in mind of their grandmothers or an Amish community.

Then again, I guess in 40 years, "Mad'Isyn" and "Bayleigh" are going to be "old lady" names...

Old 11-11-2020, 09:20 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I think a lot of the names that people in their 30s and older would consider "old-fashioned" are coming back now... Hannah, Emily, Sophie, Olivia, Emma, Amelia, etc... all names I wouldn't dream of giving a child because I'd think they'd put people in mind of their grandmothers or an Amish community.

Then again, I guess in 40 years, "Mad'Isyn" and "Bayleigh" are going to be "old lady" names...
In many religious communities, being put in mind of our grandmothers (and grandfathers) is viewed as a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates