Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 12:19 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I think a lot of the names that people in their 30s and older would consider "old-fashioned" are coming back now... Hannah, Emily, Sophie, Olivia, Emma, Amelia, etc... all names I wouldn't dream of giving a child because I'd think they'd put people in mind of their grandmothers or an Amish community.

I'm pulling for Agnes to come back soon--I love that name! It's my favorite right now along with Esther and Edith and Ruth are close seconds. I'm not sure why but I think Agnes and Esther are just the most beautiful names in the world, and I can see some real stunningly beautiful women some time in the near future with those names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Then again, I guess in 40 years, "Mad'Isyn" and "Bayleigh" are going to be "old lady" names...
Yep, they're time-stamped now and like you said in 40 years or so they'll be marked again as old-lady names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Do you think this quiz represents an accurate correlation between name preference and personality type? Click on link.

Here's mine:

Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 21%
Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 14%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 14%
Your personality type is: Unisex : 14%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 7%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 0%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 0%
Your personality type is: Classic Outmoded : 0%

My favorite name of all the lists was "Greta". That's another one I like that I haven't thought of in a while (or seen either).

I generally didn't like any of the other names very much, but chose Jackson, Eleanor, Thomas, Bronwen, Jude, Soren, Calvin, Greta, Brae (had the hardest time with this row; I really did not like any of these names, but that was the one I hated the least), and Mary. To pick one, I thought if I had to name my child one of these, which would be the one I would go with? I was totally all for Greta, but the rest except for the "B" row I would just be okay with. With that "B" row, I still would have hated "Brae".

Last edited by Basiliximab; 11-14-2020 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2020, 01:16 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
With that "B" row, I still would have hated "Brae".
I had the same experience. I picked Brian, but didn't like any of them.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:39 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
On the quiz i scored 28% classic conservative, 21% classic eccentric, 21% classic outmoded. 0% in all other categories. I like classic names but am by no means conservative, outmoded or eccentric in personality.

My name is Tom. I like my name for many reasons. I can go anywhere and have my name pronounced correctly and recognized as a human name...a name that has stood the test of time.

The quiz had horrible name choices. I had to choose the least absurd name on each line so I chose my name and John, Barbara, Ellen, Sally, Conrad and Barnabas. I have ancestors named Konrad and Barnabas so maybe that influenced my choices. I wouldn't name a carnival goldfish John, Barbara, Ellen or Sally. They may be fairly classic but I don't like them. They're old person names to me.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:45 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
35 years ago, I wanted to name my daughter Karen.....I am happy I didn`t.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:55 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
Or Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes?
Mercedes is an actual female name, but the other two... well...

Old 11-14-2020, 08:16 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Another name that this thread brought to mind is Tess. The only two I have met are exceptionally beautiful. One looks like a 6 foot tall healthy young Ava Gardner. The other looks like an angel faced Eastern European print model. What makes it all the better is both are smart and industrious and did not seem to appear (from my brief interactions with them) to have let their beauty go to their head. I'm guessing the name made a resurgence sometime in mid -late 90s - based upon their ages.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:09 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Seems like every Natalie I come across is attractive.
That's actually been my experience as well. I've known several Natalies, and they've all been good looking. Not beautiful, but definitely attractive. Sevens, on the one-to-ten scale. So I just assume that anyone named Natalie is going to be good looking. And they'll be nice too, as all the Natalies I've ever known have been.

The correlation between a name and the attractiveness of its bearer is a subjective thing. It's largely based on one's own experiences. For example, I've known a number of Karens over the years. All of them have been at least somewhat good looking, and a few have been downright beautiful. So I associate that name with attractive women, and the current Karen meme just does not resonate with me at all.

On the other hand, I do think that there's something more to it than just one's own experiences. I've always thought that the name Gretchen is ugly, and that people who bear that name are not good looking. (Sorry, I mean no offense to anyone with that name.) I've only ever known one Gretchen in my life -- and, oddly enough, she was quite attractive and very nice. Yet, my opinion of people who have that name has never wavered, despite my one and only experience with someone named Gretchen going so counter to my expectation. Go figure.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:16 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I'm pulling for Agnes to come back soon--I love that name! It's my favorite right now along with Esther and Edith and Ruth are close seconds. I'm not sure why but I think Agnes and Esther are just the most beautiful names in the world, and I can see some real stunningly beautiful women some time in the near future with those names!
Which just goes to show how radically different one's opinions may vary from someone else's. I picture Agnes and Esther and Edith to be 90 year old women, who weren't all that good looking even in their prime, and they certainly haven't improved with age. (Ruth, I see her as a 70 year old, who was at least decent looking when she was younger.) Personally, I can't imagine Agnes ever making a comeback. But then again, a lot of other "old person" names have gotten new lives, so I guess it's possible that we'll be seeing a bunch of little Agneses in the nurseries of America sometime soon.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:48 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Which just goes to show how radically different one's opinions may vary from someone else's. I picture Agnes and Esther and Edith to be 90 year old women, who weren't all that good looking even in their prime, and they certainly haven't improved with age. (Ruth, I see her as a 70 year old, who was at least decent looking when she was younger.) Personally, I can't imagine Agnes ever making a comeback. But then again, a lot of other "old person" names have gotten new lives, so I guess it's possible that we'll be seeing a bunch of little Agneses in the nurseries of America sometime soon.
I will always remembe the Agnes, I once had the pleasure of meeting......she was a pit bull, on a ferry, with sea sickness.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:37 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Is she beautiful?
I think so.

There's quite a few names that used to be "old lady" names that are coming back. One of them is Sarah which became popular again in the 1980's. Ditto for Hannah, Emily, Grace and Abby. Amelia was my grandmother's name and now I see it's become popular again. Some celebrity recently named their baby girl Hazel.

Your personality type is: Classic Conservative : 35%
Your personality type is: Modern Conservative : 14%
Your personality type is: Classic Unusual : 14%
Your personality type is: Modern Unusual : 7%
Your personality type is: Modern Eccentric. : 0%
Your personality type is: Classic Eccentric : 0%
Your personality type is: Classic Outmoded : 0%
Your personality type is: Unisex : 0%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates