Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 08:24 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that men's names with short, simple vowels produced with the front of the mouth---like Matt and John---are seen as more attractive than names with long, complex vowels produced with the back of the throat---like Paul. But that's a "with everything else being equal" thing. A good-looking Paul will still have stronger sex appeal than a plain-looking Matt.

Of course, one name that blows every other name out of the water in terms of attractiveness is Chad Thunderpenis.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:58 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think so.

There's quite a few names that used to be "old lady" names that are coming back. One of them is Sarah which became popular again in the 1980's. Ditto for Hannah, Emily, Grace and Abby. Amelia was my grandmother's name and now I see it's become popular again. Some celebrity recently named their baby girl Hazel.
Sarah, Hannah, Emily, Grace and Abby are an "older wave" of old lady names that started to come back about thirty to forty years ago.

The newer wave includes Evelyn, Eleanor, Violet, Nora, and yes, Amelia and Hazel. There has even been a noticeable uptick in some names I thought would not come back in my lifetime, like Mabel, Harriet and Matilda.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:01 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
A few days ago, on Jeopardy, there were two women contestants......one was named Stanley. The other also had a mans name, that I can`t think of. I just can`t imagine, naming a girl Stanley.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:56 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
So does this mean that if a person is unattractive because of their name then all they have to do to become attractive is to change their name to a beautiful name?

A name is representative of a person's destiny and a change of name means a change of destiny?

The Ancient and Mystical Order Rosæ Crucis (AMORC), also known as the Rosicrucian Order (order of the Rosy Cross), has known about and practised the reality of such things as name changes for the purposes of manifestation and changes in destiny for at least the past 2,500 years.

Old 11-15-2020, 10:43 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So does this mean that if a person is unattractive because of their name then all they have to do to become attractive is to change their name to a beautiful name?

A name is representative of a person's destiny and a change of name means a change of destiny?

The Ancient and Mystical Order Rosæ Crucis (AMORC), also known as the Rosicrucian Order (order of the Rosy Cross), has known about and practised the reality of such things as name changes for the purposes of manifestation and changes in destiny for at least the past 2,500 years.

A number of cultures practice the giving of apotropaic names (names intended to ward off evil). In Judaism, for example, if a baby was seriously ill, the parents might change that child's name to something like "Alter" for a boy and "Alta" for a girl (a Yiddish name meaning "old") or "Zeide" for a boy and "Genana" for a girl (Yiddish names meaning "grandfather" and "old woman") in hopes that the baby would survive infancy and live to old age. Many people viewed the ability to live to old age as being enormously attractive (even if the final result was not physically attractive).

Old 11-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

No and no. The connection between name and attractiveness, like "Matt" vs. "Paul", is only true when everything else is equal or near-equal. It can makes a difference then, obviously. But an undesirable man can change his name to whatever he wants, even "Chad", and he'll still be SOL when it comes to meeting women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
A number of cultures practice the giving of apotropaic names (names intended to ward off evil). In Judaism, for example, if a baby was seriously ill, the parents might change that child's name to something like "Alter" for a boy and "Alta" for a girl (a Yiddish name meaning "old") or "Zeide" for a boy and "Genana" for a girl (Yiddish names meaning "grandfather" and "old woman") in hopes that the baby would survive infancy and live to old age. Many people viewed the ability to live to old age as being enormously attractive (even if the final result was not physically attractive).
I'm Jewish, so I'm familiar with the custom of trying a person's name to their soul/memory. I always see names being listed on memorial walls in synagogues and in Holocaust museums. Since Judaism doesn't have a strong concept of a soul, the memory of a dead person is usually tied to their personal name.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
No and no. The connection between name and attractiveness, like "Matt" vs. "Paul", is only true when everything else is equal or near-equal. It can makes a difference then, obviously. But an undesirable man can change his name to whatever he wants, even "Chad", and he'll still be SOL when it comes to meeting women.

I'm Jewish, so I'm familiar with the custom of trying a person's name to their soul/memory. I always see names being listed on memorial walls in synagogues and in Holocaust museums. Since Judaism doesn't have a strong concept of a soul, the memory of a dead person is usually tied to their personal name.
I'm curious as to why you believe that "Judaism doesn't have a strong concept of a soul." Are you familiar with the Jewish concept of the neshamah? In fact, Judaism teaches that even animals have souls (something that I don't think Christianity teaches), although an animal's soul is not as complex as a human being's soul.

But, yes, I agree with you on how the memory of a dead person is usually tied to their personal name. Names have great significance in Judaism. This is why we name children after relatives who have passed away.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm curious as to why you believe that "Judaism doesn't have a strong concept of a soul." Are you familiar with the Jewish concept of the neshamah? In fact, Judaism teaches that even animals have souls (something that I don't think Christianity teaches), although an animal's soul is not as complex as a human being's soul.
Perhaps I misspoke. It's not that Judaism lacks a strong concept of a soul, it's that it's not front-and-center in the idea of an afterlife. What remains after a person dies isn't so much a divine remnant of their body, but rather the notion of who they were as a person in life, name and all. Neshamah sounds like what modern psychologists would call "individual identity" or "sense of self". Am I more correct this time?

Old 11-15-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Perhaps I misspoke. It's not that Judaism lacks a strong concept of a soul, it's that it's not front-and-center in the idea of an afterlife. What remains after a person dies isn't so much a divine remnant of their body, but rather the notion of who they were as a person in life, name and all. Neshamah sounds like what modern psychologists would call "individual identity" or "sense of self". Am I more correct this time?
Judaism teaches that all living creatures have a divine spark in them. In the Talmud, we are told that upon death our souls ascend to a Heavenly court. In Kabbalah, it is said that souls may be reincarnated. There has been a lot of Jewish writing and thought involving the soul and what becomes of it upon death, as there is plenty of room for interpretation of this subject in Judaism.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:40 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
But, yes, I agree with you on how the memory of a dead person is usually tied to their personal name. Names have great significance in Judaism. This is why we name children after relatives who have passed away.
So what happens if a Jewish parent doesn't like the names of any of her deceased relatives? Does she pick the least offensive one? Does she pick the one of the relative she most wishes to honor, regardless of what she thinks of the name? Does she "break out of the pack" and choose a name that she likes, even if no relatives had that name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates