Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 05:29 PM

811 posts, read 693,677 times

Advertisements

This is something that I have been wondering about recently. I'm not sure how to quantify it, but at least in my observation, people with a select group of names tend to be consistently physically attractive.

Three of the names that jump to the forefront of my mind are Alyssa, Emily, and Hannah. I have met a lot of women with these names, and almost all of them that I have known personally have been very physically attractive. It doesn't seem like there should be any correlation, but at least in my observation, it's been so consistent that I can't help but wonder.

Somewhat related to this is the online dating scene. I've been browsing through a few online dating apps, due both to Covid-19 loneliness and trying to take my mind off of some things that I wrote about in another thread. In addition to Alyssa, Emily, and Hannah, many of the women I have stumbled across named Delaney, Julia, or Nicole have also consistently been quite physically attractive.

On the flipside, there are a few names that seem to go with people who I personally don't find as physically attractive (doesn't mean I don't like them as people, I'm just not physically attracted to them). I'm not going to name these names, but it's essentially the same consistency.

Obviously, there are many attractive people in this world with many different names, but some names just seem to share a pretty consistent level of attractiveness. Also, I am attracted to women, but to those of you who are into men, have you noticed a similar name/physical attractiveness phenomenon?

Note: this is not meant to say that looks are more important than personality, or anything like that. I'm sure many of us have met someone who was easy to look at, but miserable to be around...

Old 11-09-2020, 05:36 PM

61,915 posts, read 87,471,218 times
I think they appear more attractive through association.
We remember other people having those names, who were attractive or kind or for whatever reason we have a fond memory.

People tried to explain it here:
https://www.quora.com/Do-you-find-th...ve-than-others

Old 11-09-2020, 07:49 PM

25,631 posts, read 17,368,272 times
Picture this:
A girl named Bambi.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:20 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,778,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think they appear more attractive through association.
We remember other people having those names, who were attractive or kind or for whatever reason we have a fond memory.

People tried to explain it here:
https://www.quora.com/Do-you-find-th...ve-than-others
I agree, and I think it works both ways. If you had a negative experience with someone with a certain name, you may be less attracted right off the top to people with the same name. Negative associations in media, such as movie and film characters, count too, and people with names that are considered stodgy or old-fashioned for their era are also perceived as less attractive.

There's been quite a lot of research in this field. I will try to find links, but, for instance, if a photo of a young woman is presented to a group of subjects and they are told that her name is either "Emily" (popular) or "Phyllis" (old-fashioned), the subjects who saw "Emily" will be likely to say she is quite appealing, and the ones who saw "Phyllis" that she is less appealing. Even though it's the same photo.

Edited to add: I understand your not wanting to reveal names that you consider unattractive, but if you were willing to share them, it might give some insight into your perception.

Last edited by saibot; 11-09-2020 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2020, 08:39 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Picture this:
A girl named Bambi.
I can only see a stripper

Old 11-09-2020, 11:43 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,511,260 times
There are certain names that come across as rather exotic, but that also depends on cultural exposure. All I can say, is that if I come across a name like Cassandra, I expect to see a good looking gal.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:57 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,200,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Picture this:
A girl named Bambi.
Or Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes?

Old 11-10-2020, 09:59 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,135,461 times
Seems like every Natalie I come across is attractive.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 9,806,175 times
So apparently the parents of the unborn girls somehow know their child will be uncommonly attractive, even before it's born, and select an appropriate "attractive girl" name for their fetus? What you are experiencing is called "confirmation bias". You are remembering all the pretty Emilys and Allisas, and the ones that don't match your bias are quickly forgotten.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:39 PM

6,477 posts, read 4,011,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
So apparently the parents of the unborn girls somehow know their child will be uncommonly attractive, even before it's born, and select an appropriate "attractive girl" name for their fetus? What you are experiencing is called "confirmation bias". You are remembering all the pretty Emilys and Allisas, and the ones that don't match your bias are quickly forgotten.
Or maybe they give her an "attractive" name and it turns a kid who would've been ugly, attractive! LOL.

I know one Alyssa, I think I've known a couple Emilys, one Delaney, a handful of Nicoles, a couple Cassandras, and one Natalie. All have been decidedly average-looking.

I've known people with {insert name here} who were attractive, and others with that name who weren't. Some who were nice people, and some who were jerks. And for some names, I've known so many people-- "Mike" and "Jeff" come to mind-- that I couldn't even begin to categorize it.

(Although I feel like I've known a large percentage of men named Robert/Bob who could talk your ear off! Then again, I've known a couple others who wouldn't.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.