Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 04:53 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times

Advertisements

Not sure which determined party will mean what and don't want to turn this into a political debate. Only seven states as cited earlier have unlimited abortion and some states are run by one party. I don't know if any state is pushing a middle ground at this point. A national law will shove everyone to one extreme or the other.

I still maintain that someone's fetus is their problem and not mine to legislate its well being.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:06 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Not sure which determined party will mean what and don't want to turn this into a political debate. Only seven states as cited earlier have unlimited abortion and some states are run by one party. I don't know if any state is pushing a middle ground at this point. A national law will shove everyone to one extreme or the other.

I still maintain that someone's fetus is their problem and not mine to legislate its well being.
There are quite a few states limiting or wanting to limit abortion on demand to 15 weeks. That gives mom plenty of time to decide and allows her to have an abortion but also gives some respect to the life inside of her who has no voice in the matter. That’s compromise.

When we are discussing killing human lives for convenience it’s hard to grasp the idea that it nobody’s business. I hear it in almost the same way as if someone was saying, “a mom can kill her newborn, it’s none of my business”.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:14 PM

Fifteen weeks would be a fine middle ground, if a state doesn't have pointless foot-dragging (like multiple appointments days apart, invasive unnecessary tests, etc.

Again, I don't think a fetus is a human life, unlike a newborn. Hence the viability standards or 15 weeks or whatever. No desire to have someone else's fetus interfere with my rights (or the rights I used to need).

Old 05-22-2022, 05:22 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
I'd say 20 weeks is a better compromise, for abortion on demand for any reason, with no questions asked, no foot-dragging, no unnecessary tests, etc. Since most pregnancies last about 40 weeks, so that splits it in half. And viability is somewhere around there.

After 20 weeks/halfway point and before 40 weeks/birth, abortion only for health/safety reasons, and otherwise, adoption.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:24 PM

^^^
A good compromise that is unfortunately not on many tables.

No question that people pregnant past viability will seek illegal and unsafe abortions and will find them to their detriment.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Fifteen weeks would be a fine middle ground, if a state doesn't have pointless foot-dragging (like multiple appointments days apart, invasive unnecessary tests, etc.

Again, I don't think a fetus is a human life, unlike a newborn. Hence the viability standards or 15 weeks or whatever. No desire to have someone else's fetus interfere with my rights (or the rights I used to need).
Just a question to ponder…..how is it possible for a fetus to be a non human life form right before mom pushes it out of the birth canal and be fully human the next moment when it’s born? What is it while it’s head is crowning but it’s body is still inside mom’s?

Old 05-22-2022, 05:28 PM

Again. I don't personally care about someone's fetus before birth but recognize that the laws have to acknowledge.

If the head is crowning and the body is stuck and the woman is bleeding to death, yes, that would be aborted. Not the same as "abortion on demand" for one's prom dress.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:28 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Just a question to ponder…..how is it possible for a fetus to be a non human life form right before mom pushes it out of the birth canal and be fully human the next moment when it’s born? What is it while it’s head is crowning but it’s body is still inside mom’s?
When it takes its first breath and cries out, it confirms it is alive.

I would like to think it is not yet conscious or aware while its head and shoulders are being squeezed through the birth canal.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Fact is, there is no point where we suddenly become a person. We gradually develop into one, over the course of our earliest years.

For legal/practical reasons, an arbitrary point must be drawn- and birth is the best, obvious option for that. We become physically separate from another person, we're breathing, and there's a lot of social tradition about birth being the start of life.

Or alternatively, say, 40 weeks, or whenever birth is expected. Because yeah, to your point if we just say the physical act of birth, then we'd have to further specify at exactly what physical point has a birth occurred or not. But, that's nothing that couldn't be legally specified. Maybe it already has been, I'm not sure.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:35 PM

Nothing happens on your 18th birthday, it's just another day as far as your mind and body are concerned, but that's the day that we generally consider you to be an adult/ fully-grown human.

Before that, you're a minor, and your set of rights are a little different/limited, and more based on parental guardianship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.