Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 03:38 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

I personally still allow the woman the choice, but there are very few abortions "on demand" after viability. The idea is distasteful to me (person having been careless and indifferent?) but I there are few, if any legitimate practitioners who would do an abortion without serious cause after viability. I remain someone indifferent to the well being of a fetus, but that's just me.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:00 PM

I do hope this thread continues with more reasoned viewpoints. It's a rare thing.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:01 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I personally still allow the woman the choice, but there are very few abortions "on demand" after viability. The idea is distasteful to me (person having been careless and indifferent?) but I there are few, if any legitimate practitioners who would do an abortion without serious cause after viability.
This is, fortunately, the case. And look at it from the doctor's point of view. One of the most fundamental jobs of an ob/gyn is to deliver babies and keep them alive. Assuming they are both healthy, how could you justify to yourself switching back and forth between making every effort to save one woman's 26-week-old "baby" which was delivered prematurely, but deliberately killing another woman's 26-week-old "fetus" ?

Last edited by saibot; 05-22-2022 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-22-2022, 04:12 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I also don’t feel it’s my place to tell someone what to do with their own body. That includes all medical procedures and even drug use. I do however see a difference in terms of abortion due to the life that is being ended. If a fetus is viable outside of the womb the mom’s choice to abort is the choice to end the life of a viable human being. How is that fact so easily dismissed or overlooked?
I very much doubt it's overlooked by the woman and her doctor. I don't believe both are too irresponsible to make a rational decision without outside interference.

As for a judges panel being required to authorize an abortion, this is probably the surest way possible to increase the need for late term abortions since it takes forever for our legal system to accomplish anything.

One thing I learned today is that the "trigger laws" that have been passed or are under discussion have no expiration date. If Roe v Wade is upheld now but struck down years from now, those trigger laws still take effect unless they've been reversed in the interim. Those legislators and governors have insured that the imposition of their beliefs is going to persist.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:15 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
The following is testimony from an OBGYN who performed over 1000 abortions throughout his career. He discusses the procedure of abortion as well as the flawed arguments for later term abortions to protect the life of the mother. Worth the read. http://kslegislature.org/li_2016/b20...0150202_08.pdf

Old 05-22-2022, 04:23 PM

I have read many statements from those who performed abortions. I saw and attended births in RN school. My late sister was offered an abortion by the family doctor before legalization due to her suicidal behavior. I have known people who would try all the "old fashioned" ways of self-aborting without a doctor. Most of the women I know have had abortions in their teens or early 20s.

If it comes to total choice/ access or virtually none, I know where I stand and will vote.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have read many statements from those who performed abortions. I saw and attended births in RN school. My late sister was offered an abortion by the family doctor before legalization due to her suicidal behavior. I have known people who would try all the "old fashioned" ways of self-aborting without a doctor. Most of the women I know have had abortions in their teens or early 20s.

If it comes to total choice/ access or virtually none, I know where I stand and will vote.

I predict a lot of people like myself who are pro choice for abortion rights up to a point but who also recognize that abortion takes a life will turn away from the movement due to extremism and the all or nothing mentality.

I’m also in CO and am not thrilled with the legislation that recently passed making abortion fully legal without limits up to birth. It’s too extreme and even though I support the right to choose up through the first trimester, possibly even up to 15 weeks, it makes me disgusted with the extremism of the party that passed it. I voted for most of them. Never again.

There is room for middle ground but like most things lately we seem to be moving to extremes. No middle ground. I find it sad.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:40 PM

I hope you wrote to those who voted in what you find reprehensible and told them why, or called their offices.

If the Republicans take over in a few months, it will be extreme- as in no middle ground, no access, no pro-choice rights. I certainly don't want to see that. But I do agree that the extremes are indefensible.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:49 PM

Interesting article that discusses the research regarding people’s attitudes on abortion. Most people are like me, they support the right to abort but with limits. Their desire to keep abortion legal declines depending on stage of pregnancy. Only 8% are 100% against abortions for any reason and only 19% are for it being legal with zero restrictions. https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...tion-quandary/

It’s too bad the extremes on both sides are missing out on the opportunity to keep abortion safe, legal and rare by losing their base by moving to extremes.

Quote:
I hope you wrote to those who voted in what you find reprehensible and told them why, or called their offices.

If the Republicans take over in a few months, it will be extreme- as in no middle ground, no access, no pro-choice rights. I certainly don't want to see that.
We already have an extreme, no middle ground form of government with the Democrats in total control. I’m voting with balance in mind.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I predict a lot of people like myself who are pro choice for abortion rights up to a point but who also recognize that abortion takes a life will turn away from the movement due to extremism and the all or nothing mentality.

I’m also in CO and am not thrilled with the legislation that recently passed making abortion fully legal without limits up to birth. It’s too extreme and even though I support the right to choose up through the first trimester, possibly even up to 15 weeks, it makes me disgusted with the extremism of the party that passed it. I voted for most of them. Never again.

There is room for middle ground but like most things lately we seem to be moving to extremes. No middle ground. I find it sad.
The way I view the new CO law you mentioned is the state legislature is leaving the abortion decision to the woman and her doctor. It eliminates the argument about "how many weeks." In other words, the state is butting out of a private decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.