Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Guns don't scare me. The person using might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
All this will change - and in not the too distant future
"Not too distant" being an imprecise unit of time that could mean anything from next month to just before Hell freezes over.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:05 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I'll agree that gun violence in Canada is markedly lower than in the US. How's that for an inconvenient truth?

I know you can't carry a gun across the Mall, or in any other public place in tis national capital. How's that?
Again why not? Your laws say you can get a permit to carry.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Where does it say guns in the Amendment? The contemporaneous meaning of "arms" was military weapons. Many cannon were privately owned back then. You're interpreting the Constitution for your convenience. Once you accept that the 2nd is an individual right, then a strict interpretation of the Constitution requires opening ownership up to anything considered an arm.
If you look into the second amendment & what they meant by arms relating to individual militia service you would know they meant small arms, not artillery. Tho its quite true that many people owned cannons & that militia regiments were required to have certain field pieces in some states.

Its pretty obvious if you have a second grade reading comprehension level to determine that keep & bear means own & carry about. Since you cannot carry around a field piece or for that matter most nukes then that second grader would understand they werent included.

Add to the volumes of period writings about the importance of being able to protect yourself & your family from harm, to be able to hunt for food & to be prepared for militia duty as an infantryman & its even more obvious.

Quote:
But the actual argument was that we were all safer when everyone was armed and I pointed out that such an argument is absurd on it's face once you perform a classic end point analysis.
Actually its no more absurd than the idea we are all safer disarmed.
One thing for sure. Every victim of every school shooting was unarmed.
Sure worked great for them.
Proud their dead? You should be, you helped do it.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah but even a third grader from DC knows that you can't carry a gun on the Mall. I guess that leaves you a little below the third grade level in terms of comprehension on this issue.

Nah, I just know that laws violating the constitution are illegal & will eventually be overturned.

All a third grader knows about DC is its a crime ridden ghetto.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
"Not too distant" being an imprecise unit of time that could mean anything from next month to just before Hell freezes over.
IMO, within 2 to 3 years

Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Nobody here is starving to death.
You still haven't visited your American ghettos then?
Or worked as a volunteer in 1 of your many soup kitchens?

It seems to me that America treats poverty as an individual problem, where the American citizen has failed to fulfil the American Dream while in The Netherlands poverty is considered a structural problem.
Besidez, you can’t combat poverty with a gun.

Originally Posted by rifleman
Quote:
Should we suspend our Constitutional rights just in case a person with no felony record might, in some imagined future situation, go "nutto" and kill someone with a firearm? (Or an axe or knife or chainsaw?) That sort of society exists: just move to China, Russia, Mexico, Argentina or Cuba. Hope you enjoy it!
LoL, how about the good ol' Us of A*?
I admit that America must have the most experience with serial killers since 3 out of 4 serial killers are American.
And America also has the most inmates in the world.

Quote:
*It would appear that American society(while serial killing isn't only an American phenomenon) is "breeding" serial killers at an alarming rate. Part of that may be due to our modern society. Everything is about me, me, me.
Source: Epidemic of Serial Murder?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Again why not? Your laws say you can get a permit to carry.
YOU can't.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
If you look into the second amendment & what they meant by arms relating to individual militia service you would know they meant small arms, not artillery. Tho its quite true that many people owned cannons & that militia regiments were required to have certain field pieces in some states.
The canon were owned by private individuals. The Constitution says what it says. If you are a literal interpretation nutcase, it means ARMs not guns, because it says ARMS not guns.

Quote:
Its pretty obvious if you have a second grade reading comprehension level to determine that keep & bear means own & carry about. Since you cannot carry around a field piece or for that matter most nukes then that second grader would understand they werent included.
Thanks for the personal attack, but my education is about 6-7 grade levels byond your experience level.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Actually its no more absurd than the idea we are all safer disarmed.
One thing for sure. Every victim of every school shooting was unarmed.
Sure worked great for them.
Proud their dead? You should be, you helped do it.
I've lived in Washington DC for about 25 years and I'm still alive. How's that for an Inconvenient Truth?

Proud to be dead? Only something that someone who has never actually served their country would say. Section 8 or just not enough intestinal fortitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates