Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
No, sex education should not be taught to kindergarteners! But it should be taught that there are all different kinds of family structures, and that's ok!
But on the flip side you are asking christians to be tolerant and you might as well ask a klansman to a Black Panther meeting.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,951,489 times
In my classroom, I try to teach TOLERANCE of OTHERS no matter what. You personally might not agree with the actual concept,but you do need to be tolerant and show respect. I do try to teach that just because someone does not have the same beliefs as you do, doesn't mean that they do not have feelings. They should have the same rights as you do. They should not looked down upon because of YOU can't agree with them.

I bet that probably not too long ago,some people were appalled that a teacher would heaven forbid read a story about a black person to a class or even a black family. It use to be there wouldn't even be stories that had a the concept of handicap people in them.

I try to read aloud to my 5th graders different genres and stories from different cultures. I have read stories that relate to those in the classroom that maybe can get across to others so they can learn through the stories. I have read stories about autism, handicaps, divorce, etc. It gets CONVERSATIONS started the .." HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?"

I do not think that the kindergartners are actually LEARNING "its ok to be gay" I think they are learning, "Its ok to be YOU!"

You know most of the time little kids are very accepting of one another....its the ADULTS that can't handle someone being different. Just watch two little children playing when they are very young. They are more concerned about what is going on when they are playing than any outside factors.

All family structures are not made up the same, but I do think personally that they all have the same thing in common. Love.

I personally, have never read a read aloud about a gay main character, but I would.

Its really rather sad, that people are so hung up on others being gay. How is really affecting YOU?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Some gay people act snooty and superior as retaliation. Remember they are minorities and hold far less social power in our society than you do. Especially when you equate homosexuality with a "sinful" lifestyle. That is a problem right there.
Oh of course, I should've known, gay snootiness is the fault of everyone who doesn't agree with the gay life style. Silly me!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
But on the flip side you are asking christians to be tolerant and you might as well ask a klansman to a Black Panther meeting.
And in a perfect and "tolerant" society it is OK to stereotype and hate Christians but don't dare to do the same with gays and non religious groups? When was the last time anyone bothered to rant on the intolerance of another religion besides Christianity in this country? Whats with the blatant hatred towards Christians?. Reading some posters blurbs and taking them to heart would lead one to believe that all Christians are bloodthirsty zealots, yet not one word about the Islamic stance on issues of "tolerance" for gays. Gimme a break!!!!. Just for the record I am NOT a Christian nor am I religious at all, but it disgusts me how much hatred is projected on Christians ,because of their beliefs, by the same people that beat the drum of tolerance with rabid zeal. Talk about "practice what you preach".

Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,168 times
Not all Christians are intolerant. I just hope that, no matter what your religion is, you take into account that these are children we are talking about. They deserve to be educated with tolerance towards every kind of upbringing, whether it is two same sex parents, etc. If not, the school system is only hurting them and teaching them to be hateful towards their classmates who may have different family structures. Keep in mind, not to use a cliche, these kids truly are our future!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
And in a perfect and "tolerant" society it is OK to stereotype and hate Christians but don't dare to do the same with gays and non religious groups? When was the last time anyone bothered to rant on the intolerance of another religion besides Christianity in this country? Whats with the blatant hatred towards Christians?. Reading some posters blurbs and taking them to heart would lead one to believe that all Christians are bloodthirsty zealots, yet not one word about the Islamic stance on issues of "tolerance" for gays. Gimme a break!!!!. Just for the record I am NOT a Christian nor am I religious at all, but it disgusts me how much hatred is projected on Christians ,because of their beliefs, by the same people that beat the drum of tolerance with rabid zeal. Talk about "practice what you preach".
Here is my response www.godhatesfags.com

Old 12-12-2008, 07:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Christians have earned their shame. Especially when they call homosexuality a sinful lifestyle yet talk about love. Oh please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post

Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Yes it is. If you've ever sat down and talked with gays. They will tell you about their overly strict and overly religious upbringings. They will talk about being oppressed and being looked down upon. They will tell you those stories of pain and anguish and confusion. So in retaliation you will see snootiness with the gay people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Oh of course, I should've known, gay snootiness is the fault of everyone who doesn't agree with the gay life style. Silly me!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
To 'tolerate' something is not the same as saying 'I agree with it'. It simply says you do your thing at your house and we do our things at our own house.
Discussing it with kindergarten aged children is assinine.
Discussing it in middle school during sex education makes perfect sense.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:18 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Christians have earned their shame. Especially when they call homosexuality a sinful lifestyle yet talk about love. Oh please.
I am a Christian, and I don't consider homosexuality a sin, nor do I consider it a "lifestyle." My own personal belief is that people love who they love, period. It's not a lifestyle, it's not something you choose, it's who you inherently are. And I see nothing wrong with any two people who have loads of love to give to a child, whether they are same sex, different sex, whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates