Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
But a person should be allowed to marry whoever they want according to some - so why should we draw the line at same species? As long as they love each other, that's all that matters.

Really? So your hamster consents when you .....? Two consenting adults, what's so hard to get?

Pedophiles are pedophiles, you are being ignorant. Oh wait, you didn't use that one, you pulled the beastialty card, please get a clue.

For real, stop playing the troll roll.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Seriously. If we allow marrying people of the same sex, why not members of the family? Or a pet? Who is someone else to draw the line where THEY consider it reasonable and impose their morals on others?
You know this argument was made back when inter-racial marriage was being debated. Ignorant folk would say something like, "If we let you marry Negroes, why not monkeys?"

It's as ignorant now as it was then. There's no slippery slope. People will not marry their dogs, or their siblings, when gay unions/marriages are legal.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:
So? Why should everyone else follow where you draw the line (or any other particular person, to be fair)?

I just answered a question!! What the hell are you on this thread for??

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was the same. But a person should be allowed to marry whoever they want according to some - so why should we draw the line at same species? As long as they love each other, that's all that matters.
I, for one, never said that people should be allowed to marry "whoever they want" because, to me, that would include family members and children -- which I wouldn't agree with. Like I said before, I can see your point about people marrying relatives if they so choose. It might be disgusting to me, but so what? If they're two consenting adults, they could knock themselves out for all I care.

As for pets: That never entered my mind until I saw your OP. I've honestly never heard anyone suggest that people should have the right to marry pets until this thread. Yes, the pet and the owner (or whatever one chooses to call oneself) may love one another, but the pet is not human. Period. That's where I -- and I can only speak for me, of course -- would draw a very definite line and I'd do it with ease.

Having said that, I don't think that everyone should follow my lead and draw their lines where I draw mine. Draw them wherever you want. If you're passionate about people and pets having the right to marry, by all means, try to get the law changed in favor of it.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Really? So your hamster consents when you .....? Two consenting adults, what's so hard to get?
Nothing. So let me clarify: marriage between you and your adult pet.

Quote:
Oh wait, you didn't use that one, you pulled the beastialty card, please get a clue.
uh no, sorry, I didn't pull any "card." I am not talking simply about sex but marriage. Re. clues, take a look in the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
There's no slippery slope.
You're right there isn't - let people marry their pets if they want.

Quote:
People will not marry their dogs, or their siblings, when gay unions/marriages are legal.
Interesting that you seem to think you know the mindset of every single person in the country. Regardless, I'm just saying they should be allowed to so IF desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I just answered a question!! What the hell are you on this thread for??
um because I started it meaning I'm interested in discussing it? Yes I see that you answered, and I replied to that answer. See how this works yet?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i am im married to the computer terminal, worse than any domestic tyrant.
gets resentmentful if i take a 20 minute walk. CDF my better half.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Nothing. So let me clarify: marriage between you and your adult pet.

uh no, sorry, I didn't pull any "card." I am not talking simply about sex but marriage. Re. clues, take a look in the mirror.

Can your adult pet consent? No. I thought my answer was pretty simple.

"look in the mirror" , idjit.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This is part of my exact argument as to why homosexual marriage should NOT be allowed.

And mine as well.

It's coming. We will soon be able to marry animals and who knows what else.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Pets are not able to give consent. They cannot understand the concept of marriage, and they are not human. If your dog/cat/goldfish is talking to you and hinting that June is a lovely month to get married.....well, you have a need of different type of fourm, if you know what I mean

Incest is a criminal offense, quite unlike homosexuality. Besides, incest is about abuse and victimization. Homosexuality is not, anymore then heterosexuality is.

But then you knew that......I hope.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Were I even remotely inclined to marry any of my pets I don't think any of them would be able to contribute financially to the household and I think their eligibility for Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid or any sort of a pension might be a little hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates