Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:33 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

Marriage is a legal contract and requires contractual capacity.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But what about incest? You could argue it's not hurting anyone but themselves...as long as there is no baby. What if they were completely sterile? What if we developed some 100% effective birth control method?
oh man, i hope you're joking.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:04 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Good God. Have some respect.
A dog doesn't need the legal protections and advantages of marriage. Gays do.
Familial marriage produces inbreds. If gay sex produced deformed babies, nobody would be talking about gay marriage. Luckily, it doesn't. Do you see everything so black and white?

It is a shame you have to point out the obvious. scary to think people actually have these associations... and they wonder why gay rights is important.
As a person can't understand what it is like to have feelings for someoone of the same sex there are those that don't have feelings or attractions to those of the opposite. While it may be hard for some to relate history has a habit of changing views towards various groups, once upon a time a gay person was seen as very special and it was an honored way. just because you might not be able to relate understand some can't relate to your experience either...it doesn't make either wrong, just different. The differences in us make things interesting and provide perspectives that bring a wealth of options and opportunities.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have been married to my beta charlie (who is male) for several years. it was a secret marriage.
Well, I practice Pet Polygamy. I think it's time to build separate houses for each of my Pet Mates, like on that program Big Love. Refereeing the squabbles is exhausting!

<doing my best to contribute to the ridiculous nature of this thread >

Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Well, I practice Pet Polygamy. I think it's time to build separate houses for each of my Pet Mates, like on that program Big Love. Refereeing the squabbles is exhausting!

<doing my best to contribute to the ridiculous nature of this thread >
Is there a particular reason you choose to show 'booty' shots of your petmates? I mean, this is C-D not craigslist!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Seriously. If we allow marrying people of the same sex, why not members of the family? Or a pet? Who is someone else to draw the line where THEY consider it reasonable and impose their morals on others?

Or why can't my dog marry my cat? Or marry her chew stick? Why can't my iron marry my remote contro?

God, this is the stupidest arguent I've ever heard. Why do idiots keep bringing it up? It's such a lame argument that can so easily be shot down.

It's like saying, "if we don't imprison homosexuals, where does it all end? Do we then not imprison robbers, wife beaters, murderers? We'll have killing all over the place!"

Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
childish insults from leftydan. Big surprise.

I didn't bother to read the rest of your post as I'm only interested in discussing this with adults. Run along now.
Oh, so you think you know me huh? I wasn't the one who immediately started a post by insulting every single gay person in the world. Your post is insulting to anyone who is homosexual, who has friends who are homosexual or who simply have half a brain.

Seriously, give us all a break. If anyone is childish it would be the person comparing gay sex to incest and beastiality. Do you even know who Anita Bryant is? Well, your arguments are the exact same as hers, so it's not an insult, it's just an observation of your ridiculous opinions.

And no matter how you look at it, a pet cannot give consent. An illiterate mute could still communicate, and if they couldn't, they wouldn't be legally allowed to give consent, this is a fact that has been proven in a court of law numerous times in cases of molestation in nursing homes, hospitals and other places like that.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
We have a neighbor couple that actually fits this topic:

He is in his late 40's. She in her late 20's

He was previously married - but his wife died of an illness some years ago (very tragic).

The "she" here is the man's daughter. They are now living as Husband and Wife. She said that all the men she dated were not as kind and gentle and caring as her "husband" (father).

They both know that society views their relationship as wrong. But, they are in love with each other. And both agreed that children should not be an issue of their relationship so both have had medical procedures to prevent any pregnancy.

BTW - they are both very happy.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We have a neighbor couple that actually fits this topic:

He is in his late 40's. She in her late 20's

He was previously married - but his wife died of an illness some years ago (very tragic).

The "she" here is the man's daughter. They are now living as Husband and Wife. She said that all the men she dated were not as kind and gentle and caring as her "husband" (father).

They both know that society views their relationship as wrong. But, they are in love with each other. And both agreed that children should not be an issue of their relationship so both have had medical procedures to prevent any pregnancy.

BTW - they are both very happy.
So they're not blood related, right? I think there's just a natural "gross factor" that prevents people from being attracted to siblings and parents, if they're blood related. I don't see why step-siblings can't get married.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So they're not blood related, right?
Oh, they are blood related.

He is the Father of "she" - his Daughter now wife.

They are Father / Daughter living as Husband and Wife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates