Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times

Advertisements

If you want a spot on Jerry Springer, watch the show to get the toll free number and call.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Boy marries dog to ward off tiger attacks
Boy marries dog to ward off tiger attacks (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090218/od_nm/us_india_dog_marriage_odd - broken link)

Man in India Marries Dog to Atone for Stoning to Death Mating Canines FOXNews.com - Man in India Marries Dog to Atone for Stoning to Death Mating Canines - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

India- Woman marries snake, another marries a dog
India: Woman marries snake, another marries dog

Orissa woman marries snake-India-The Times of India

Shall I continue?
Burning brides due to insufficient dowries is also known to happen in India -- I doubt we will be importing that tradition either.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM

240 posts, read 352,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Seriously. If we allow marrying people of the same sex, why not members of the family? Or a pet? Who is someone else to draw the line where THEY consider it reasonable and impose their morals on others?
*yawn*

Old 03-06-2009, 02:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 875,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Burning brides due to insufficient dowries is also known to happen in India -- I doubt we will be importing that tradition either.

Nobody thought the West would be importing honor killings and burkhas either, did they? It seems when you bring a new people into your land you bring their traditions in as well. Funny that, eh?

Wouldn't it be naive for any nation to think they could take in tens of millions of people from another land and not have their culture drastically changed?

If twenty million Americans from the Midwest and Southeast were to move to France, how long would it be before pickup trucks were seen on all major roads, chewing tobacco rivaled cigarettes for most commonly used tobacco product, demands for relaxed firearms laws were made, baseball teams formed across the nation and became the sport became a national one, etc.

The difference is that while France would change from having tens of millions of Americans there, it wouldn't implode or decline to the point of becoming a third world cesspool with honor killings, bride burnings, marriages involving the father selling a 10 year old daughter to some 50 year old rich guy, etc. I believe a nation can easily survive people introducing pickup trucks, chewing tobacco, baseball, Second Amendment attitudes, etc, it is doubtful a Western nation can survive (in the long-term) with the introduction of the sort of things that come in from the East.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Just a quick question - why so many that oppose government involvement in private lives, support the government involvement in marriages?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Just a quick question - why so many that oppose government involvement in private lives, support the government involvement in marriages?
Marriage is a legal thing...unless that changes, government has to be involved

Old 03-06-2009, 05:02 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I oppose most govt involvement on private property and such and I also don't support the govt involvement in telling two consenting adults that they cannot enter a legal contract.
The argument against gay marriage is faulty at best when we are talking about a Govt that is supposed to give equal treatment under the law to all people. Regardless of Political, Religious or any other affiliation.

Remember the last line in the pledge we used to say every day?

Liberty and Justice for ALL. I guess it should be changed to "Liberty and Justice for almost everyone".

Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 AM

292 posts, read 956,439 times
Why would you need someone elses blessing either way? Youre fighting a battle that cannot be won- no preist is going to marry you and your pet turtle- as much as you may love her. And the government will never allow two men OR two women to be a legally recognized marriage. You know as long as you dont wanmt the legal rights that come with marriage- Im all for you "marrying" your Rottweilier, buy a ring and go around as man and wife- just dont try to do it in a church. Maybe if you go out to SF someone will perform the service for you. As long as you dont impact the rest of our taxes- because "its okay to be different" then im sure no one would care.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:50 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcsmith0210 View Post
Why would you need someone elses blessing either way? Youre fighting a battle that cannot be won- no preist is going to marry you and your pet turtle- as much as you may love her. And the government will never allow two men OR two women to be a legally recognized marriage. You know as long as you dont wanmt the legal rights that come with marriage- Im all for you "marrying" your Rottweilier, buy a ring and go around as man and wife- just dont try to do it in a church. Maybe if you go out to SF someone will perform the service for you. As long as you dont impact the rest of our taxes- because "its okay to be different" then im sure no one would care.
No where and at no time did anyone ever say that churches would be forced to perform gay marriages.
Furthermore, how could gay marriages possibly 'impact your taxes'?
Face it, gay marriage would have no impact on you at all. I mean, I hate the thought of idiots marrying and idiots certainly do impact my life, and when they breed they are merely sending forth even more idiots into the world to snarl up traffic, try to sneak fifty items in the express checkout lane, pick fights at little league games, dress their daughters as whores in baby beauty pageants, and refuse to understand the concept of 'seperation of church and state'.
So yeah -- heterosexual idiots impact all of our lives, gay marriages do not.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 PM

292 posts, read 956,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No where and at no time did anyone ever say that churches would be forced to perform gay marriages.
Furthermore, how could gay marriages possibly 'impact your taxes'?
Face it, gay marriage would have no impact on you at all. I mean, I hate the thought of idiots marrying and idiots certainly do impact my life, and when they breed they are merely sending forth even more idiots into the world to snarl up traffic, try to sneak fifty items in the express checkout lane, pick fights at little league games, dress their daughters as whores in baby beauty pageants, and refuse to understand the concept of 'seperation of church and state'.
So yeah -- heterosexual idiots impact all of our lives, gay marriages do not.
Which is why I said- as long as its not in a church- and its not going to impact our taxes- then by all means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates