Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
We just sold our synagogue--because we moved to a different city. Assessments really are possible.
Did it sell for a price - per square foot - that was comparable to other commercial properties? And how did you make the determination regarding what you should ask for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Did it sell for a price - per square foot - that was comparable to other commercial properties? And how did you make the determination regarding what you should ask for it?
We hired a commercial real estate company...We had owned the building since the late 1880's--so we had no idea of the value--It took us about 18 months to sell it. We sold it to a private school.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
We hired a commercial real estate company...We had owned the building since the late 1880's--so we had no idea of the value--It took us about 18 months to sell it. We sold it to a private school.
Ahhh... Gotcha.

That makes sense though. The number, and type, of potential buyers is very limited. I don't know what your synagogue looked like, but the vast majority of church buildings I've seen will ALWAYS look like a church building, unless there is major reconstruction done. It would seem to me that that factor would lower the value of the property.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Ahhh... Gotcha.

That makes sense though. The number, and type, of potential buyers is very limited. I don't know what your synagogue looked like, but the vast majority of church buildings I've seen will ALWAYS look like a church building, unless there is major reconstruction done. It would seem to me that that factor would lower the value of the property.
Our local high school bought an old church that was next to their property. The turned it into a real cool auditorium.

Also, I heard about someone in LA who bought a church and turned into a really weird (cool, expensive) nightclub.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Coincidentally - I did start a thread about buying old abandoned churches and making them into a residences or ?? Many areas of the country have more churches now than worshipers. There are a few pics too

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...hitecture.html

This is the political -economic thread - the other one is about construction-architecture.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No, it isn't fair. And out of curiosity, why would you bring up Ronald Reagan?
Because religion and politics are a troll's best playing cards. Why lead with just one?

I also love the "not ALL churches help people in need".......no, I'm sure there are those few so-called churches that are just used as a dodge by some scumbags who have no real religious intent of any kind, and even rarer the church with religious intent that is simply run by people with questionable morals or odd viewpoints about charity. Those, however, are quite rare, and to dismiss the whole based on rare exceptions is patently and exceedingly stupid. It reminds me of someone who said she didn't believe smoking was bad for you because her grandfather smoked 3 packs a day and lived an active life till he was in his 90s.

Anyway, if we're going to complain about this because not everyone uses them, then I'd like a refund on my tax money that goes to museums, galleries, public schools, etc etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Joey umm you don' t see the difference in private churches not having to pay as compared to public schools? Maybe you never went to school but schools benefit EVERYONE. They teach children , keep them off the streets and that they they can grow up with better jobs ( and posts- lol). Even if you don't go to school having your neighbor's kids attend benefits the neighborhood. Museums? They attract people - that includes tourists- tourists spend money- some may move to a town for the culture- if they move to a town they spend tax money.

Do I really have to spell this out for you?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 AM

I think a fair question to ask people is WHY they want to the non-profit status of churches revoked.

I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of people, if honest, just have an axe to grind with churches. Period. And that's okay, whether or not I agree. But let's be honest about it.

That said, I think there are people who feel churches out to have their non-profit status yanked because said churches are engaging in political activism. This is a perfectly legitimate point!

But let's compare churches to colleges & universities for a moment: Colleges & Universities are KNOWN as hotbeds of political indoctrination and activism - and have been for decades (perhaps centuries)! Only 11% of all college professors are registered Republicans.

So... If we want to pull churches' tax-exempt status because they're politically involved, would it not stand to reason that we MUST also pull colleges' & universities' tax exempt status as well?

But let's add one more piece to the puzzle. Churches do NOT receive tax-payer money, and public money does NOT underwrite their operating expenses. Colleges and Universities (collectively) receive hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funding each year.

How is this fair?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
Quote:
I think a fair question to ask people is WHY they want to the non-profit status of churches revoked.

I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of people, if honest, just have an axe to grind with churches. Period. And that's okay, whether or not I agree. But let's be honest about it.

That said, I think there are people who feel churches out to have their non-profit status yanked because said churches are engaging in political activism. This is a perfectly legitimate point!

But let's compare churches to colleges & universities for a moment: Colleges & Universities are KNOWN as hotbeds of political indoctrination and activism - and have been for decades (perhaps centuries)! Only 11% of all college professors are registered Republicans.

So... If we want to pull churches' tax-exempt status because they're politically involved, would it not stand to reason that we MUST also pull colleges' & universities' tax exempt status as well?

But let's add one more piece to the puzzle. Churches do NOT receive tax-payer money, and public money does NOT underwrite their operating expenses. Colleges and Universities (collectively) receive hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer funding each year.

How is this fair?
I have'nt wanted to comment on this because I could care less about the usual hatred theme with these threads, but as to the O.P.'s original statement on property tax, I believe all church property is taxed anyway. This has nothing to do with being general income tax exempt. But from what I know, they all benefit from all the usual municipal services offered by any city/county and it is only fair the pay that fair share no matter what the religious organization if they actually own a property on which their church building stands.

On the other side of the coin, if religious organizations are involved in actual business investments, manufacturing, services, etc, then yes it is also fair they get taxed. For example, if the Catholic Church owns and operates a pasta factory, then it would be unfair for Joe Blow who owns and operates the same type of biz, but has to pay taxes while the Catholic Church does'nt because it says the proceeds go to charity. We know for a fact they were heavily involved in the Banking Industry. The Mormon Church is well known for backing/owning big businesses. Alpha Beta, Smiths grocery chain, 7-Up, etc. So they should be called to account on these.

The monolithic Mega-Churches and their celebrities are being called to account for the obscene amount of wealth they rake in as well they should. It is obvious from their lifestyles that much of those monies DO NOT go to any charity except their own personal wealth enrichment. They should pay the tax. At this point the world's financial system is so screwed up, it's only fair everyone contribute, while exempting an elite few. But I believe in the near future all the world's governments will be demanding an accounting and alot of dirt will be dug up on the majority of churches and just exactly what they do with that Dough. The Lutheran Church here in Sweden invests monies taken, into this country's munitions manufacturing. Wow surprise surprise!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 PM

BluePacific - there is a huge difference between the tax codes/structure in Sweden and the United States. The treatment of churches is only one area in which the two countries' tax laws are radically different.

Unfortunately, far too many people assume - without correct knowledge - that churches in America are exempt from all taxes, and that church employees don't pay taxes. Nothing could be further from the truth!

The other unfortunate thing is that many people have a personal axe to grind regarding churches, and they wrongly think that revoking American churches' tax-exempt status would be a good way to close churches. That too is asinine.

The bottom line is that revoking American churches' tax exempt status would have a nominal impact on the churches themselves. It would also have very little effect on the amount of taxes taken in by the government. What it WOULD do is pave the way for churches to openly and directly become VERY involved in national politics - no holds barred.

When it's all said & done, it would be a HUGE MISTAKE to revoke American churches' tax-exempt status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates