Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times

Advertisements

Property taxes are unfair and should be abolished on all but income producing properties. That solves the problem from the start. Seperation of church and state must be maintained, so taxing them in any way is illegal. Their members pay taxes so why should they be double or triple taxed? Once social security and medicare break down, only churches and charities will be left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
It is obvious that there is an incredible amount of pure ignorance here, regarding churches, and what they do & don't pay.

- Church staff (including pastors/priests) are NOT tax exempt. Every pastor pays income tax just like everybody else. Gift income is included and fully taxable.

- Churches pay for all their utilities and heat, and property maintenance. And while this is not the case in all cities, many charge churches "commercial rate" for these things. In addition, churches pay commercial rate on telephone lines, etc.

- Regarding "taxable income", any church can easily "zero out" it's income at the close of each year. And many do anyway.

- Trying to force churches to pay property tax will create a huge problem. Any time a value assessment would be done, it would be challenged - and rightly so. There's no way to fairly assess the value of a church property, because it could be rightly argued that the property/building is of little or no use commercially. For instance, we have a church right down the street from my office that closed 2 years. It's actually a very nice building, and has a small gym. They've been trying to sell it for about $150,000 and absolutely cannot move it. So how would you assess that property?

- Forcing churches to pay property taxes would also bring a legal battle regarding forcing ALL non-profits to pay property taxes. It is inevitable. And eventually if churches were forced to pay property taxes, schools and colleges would be forced to do so as well.

I think we need to consider some facts before really speaking out on this issue of taxing churches.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,672 times
Thumbs up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Jack you aren' t intelligent enough to understand that no matter which side you take in a debate , you make the other look good. How can someone grow up in this country and not take the time to learn our language? There are adult education classes- find one!

Greatday you don't understand Separation of Church and State. How does making them pay tax like everyone else violate this clause ( this I have to see!)?
Talk about smart,The least you could have done was put a diffrent picture of the seven dwarfs on your profile,and you got the nerve to start on me?You got to be smarter than to put that pic on there?Is it the old version of the guy from the mad magazine or one of snow whites little guy's?tell us!THIS GUY HAS A GREAT SENCE OF HUMOR,I am sorry about all i didnt realize you was a prankster till i looked at you bio,KUDOS,I WISH I COULD HAVE GOT THAT PIC FIRST,[funny]can i use it when your done?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 PM

472 posts, read 740,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
It is obvious that there is an incredible amount of pure ignorance here, regarding churches, and what they do & don't pay.

- Church staff (including pastors/priests) are NOT tax exempt. Every pastor pays income tax just like everybody else. Gift income is included and fully taxable.

- Churches pay for all their utilities and heat, and property maintenance. And while this is not the case in all cities, many charge churches "commercial rate" for these things. In addition, churches pay commercial rate on telephone lines, etc.

- Regarding "taxable income", any church can easily "zero out" it's income at the close of each year. And many do anyway.

- Trying to force churches to pay property tax will create a huge problem. Any time a value assessment would be done, it would be challenged - and rightly so. There's no way to fairly assess the value of a church property, because it could be rightly argued that the property/building is of little or no use commercially. For instance, we have a church right down the street from my office that closed 2 years. It's actually a very nice building, and has a small gym. They've been trying to sell it for about $150,000 and absolutely cannot move it. So how would you assess that property?

- Forcing churches to pay property taxes would also bring a legal battle regarding forcing ALL non-profits to pay property taxes. It is inevitable. And eventually if churches were forced to pay property taxes, schools and colleges would be forced to do so as well.

I think we need to consider some facts before really speaking out on this issue of taxing churches.
As the one who wrote the checks for the Church I attend, I can certainly agree with all the above.

Also, one should consider the amount of business the Churches generate in any community. Building maintenance, utilities, purchases from local businesses for provision of help for any needy person, and yes, snow removal, and salaries paid, all add up to a not insignificant amount.

The only problem I see with the tax exemption is that the IRS shoul more closely monitor the political activity engaged in by some churches.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,672 times
Default yes yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
It won't change because its a touchy subject. The U.S. is still a Christian nation and you better believe people will raise hell if the government decides to start "taxing Jesus."
You said what i was thinking,thank you!Taxing jesus is the best and only way of saying it!It would not get my vote or any votes from anyone i know.A athiast would only do so.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
There are plenty of moral, upstanding people who believe in god who have little or no regard for your Jesus. So, no...not only an atheist would do so.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
The only problem I see with the tax exemption is that the IRS shoul more closely monitor the political activity engaged in by some churches.
I certainly agree with that.

I'd venture a guess that the vast, vast majority of church are really not political at all. But there are those few. And they're not necessarily Republican leaning or Democrat leaning. But when you have pastors/priests or other church leaders TELLING members who they MUST vote for, that might be crossing the line.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

What a great post!

So many times we are quick to make calls without 1) knowing all the facts and 2) thinking out the extending consequences.

I personally have a problem with those multi-million dollar ministries that seem to think they have no responsibility to pay taxes.....but it is worth waiting for them to be dealt with by God....in order not to rob the smaller community churches who do so much for so many without any profit.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Default Why are YOU paying a tax on your land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I wondered why do Churches get a free ride -
The property tax is an ad valorem tax on the privilege to hold land and buildings with qualified ownership.

There is no property tax levied on private property absolutely owned by individuals.

Check your own state constitution for proof.

Only estate (real and personal property) are subject to tax.
No constitution delegates the power to tax private property.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,533 times
this is so wrong. many churches do nothing for the community and it's a front. many churches are only incestuous clubs for the member's benefits to have rub elbows with eachother and espouse their (political) beliefs hoping to garner more members in order to even have greater leverage outside thier 'community'. it is little different than a party. yes, religious organizations and churches are a political machine in thier own way. they should have to pay! this is what they call pulling the wool over society's eyes.

it's no different than someone claiming power by claiming a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates