Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times

Advertisements

I think it's fair in most cases but then you've got those mega-churches making millions. I there there should be a cap - especially for folks like Joel Olstein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Tell Obama, Pelosi & Reid that.

tell that to the republicans as well, they prefer big goverment over small goverment as well.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
tell that to the republicans as well, they prefer big goverment over small goverment as well.

Sorry to inform you that the republicans (I am not one) are the small government party- no matter what you've been told to believe.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
One of the things I find a little disturbing is the double-standard applied by many people - especially those on the Left.

There are a lot of Democrats & Leftists (not necessarily the same thing) who decry the political clout of organizations such as Focus On The Family, as well as large Evangelical mega-churches. These are usually the folks who are calling for churches' tax exempt status to be revoked.

But we never hear a peep from these same folks about the fact that DNC candidates are fully expected to visit black churches, and even get up and speak during their services. In addition, I know for a fact that the leadership of the largest black church here in Omaha (Salem Baptist on 30th & Lake) was openly and aggressively telling parishioners that they HAD to vote for Obama, this past election. It was a black mandate! And the month after the election found that same church preaching about black liberation theology, and "it's about time!"

What the heck? Maybe somebody can tell me why white churches cannot endorse and promote Republican candidates, while black churches are fully expected to endorse and promote DNC candidates. It seems odd to me.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I think it's fair in most cases but then you've got those mega-churches making millions. I there there should be a cap - especially for folks like Joel Olstein.
I don't think there should be a cap, just taxes when churches cease to behave like a not-for-profit agency.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I don't think there should be a cap, just taxes when churches cease to behave like a not-for-profit agency.
I agree. There is no way you can apply a "cap" in a fair and equitable manner.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
No tax on contributions and income tax on investments and related business profits. I kind of like the idea of taxing PROFITS. It might shut them up.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
One of the things I find a little disturbing is the double-standard applied by many people - especially those on the Left.

There are a lot of Democrats & Leftists (not necessarily the same thing) who decry the political clout of organizations such as Focus On The Family, as well as large Evangelical mega-churches. These are usually the folks who are calling for churches' tax exempt status to be revoked.

But we never hear a peep from these same folks about the fact that DNC candidates are fully expected to visit black churches, and even get up and speak during their services. In addition, I know for a fact that the leadership of the largest black church here in Omaha (Salem Baptist on 30th & Lake) was openly and aggressively telling parishioners that they HAD to vote for Obama, this past election. It was a black mandate! And the month after the election found that same church preaching about black liberation theology, and "it's about time!"

What the heck? Maybe somebody can tell me why white churches cannot endorse and promote Republican candidates, while black churches are fully expected to endorse and promote DNC candidates. It seems odd to me.

I got pissed off when I heard of that happening. I'm a libertarian, and I dont' believe ANY not for profit should pander to ANY political party. I have a sticker on my car for a non profit in my area, so I don't put any political stickers on because of that. I don't think any churches of any race/belief/gender/orientation etc should be endorsing political candidates or propositions or anything along those lines.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I just received another email ranting about having prayer in school and I wondered why do Churches get a free ride - meaning those who don't believe have to pay for the believers.

Didn't Ronald Reagan espouse the philosophy of pay for what you use?

This goes for all religious real estate -not just churches.

Those who either don't attend church or have their own private beliefs, are forced to subsidize these buildings. The churches receive all the city services .. and pay for none of them.
We subsidize your whacky groups too. Eg., ACORN and Greenpeace, so I hope you're willing to pay for those too -- out of your own pocket -- don't complain next time your favorite non-profits inundate you with junk mail and calls b/c you didn't want to give them a tax break.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM

257 posts, read 619,325 times
In the old days, most pioneer towns and early American cities used their churches for everything: community centers, schools, soup kitchens, rehab centers, shelters, town hall meetings, and Bible study. They weren't used for money making, but they were used for almost anything else to help out a community. If taxation meant shutting a few down, that was viewed as detrimental to the town.

Still, it seems strange that every Rockefeller controlled outfit gets out of paying any taxes (oil companies, pharma giants, utility companies, foundations, unions, mafia, large churches, law firms, telecom and media giants, even lobbying firms). Since they own the media and control the politicians, of course they're going to set the law up for their benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates