Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
miu

17,771 posts, read 40,227,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In the old days, cowards would hide behind a sheet and a pointy hat...today they hide behind a screen name and keyboard.

The internet is a great anonymous tool for those who are powerless in real life and resent the achievements of those who don't look like them. Its sad, really.
No. It's that on the internet with our screen names, we can attempt to have a civilized dialogue with the moderators standing by to keep things in order. However, if we were to have the same discussions about race in real life, things would turn ugly in a physical way... especially with black and Hispanic women. The ones that have 'hood roots are always on the edge of jumping in and turning things into some physical cat fight with their forefinger raised, doing that chicken neck thing and sticking their face close to mind. And that's not keeping things to a civilized verbal discussion, that's not proper debate technique.

I resent no black achievements. I really want everyone to be productive human beings that can function on their own and without any help from my tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,867 times
Exclamation LOL...Miu, Here We Go Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. It's that on the internet with our screen names, we can attempt to have a civilized dialogue with the moderators standing by to keep things in order. However, if we were to have the same discussions about race in real life, things would turn ugly in a physical way... especially with black and Hispanic women. The ones that have 'hood roots are always on the edge of jumping in and turning things into some physical cat fight with their forefinger raised, doing that chicken neck thing and sticking their face close to mind. And that's not keeping things to a civilized verbal discussion, that's not proper debate technique.

I resent no black achievements. I really want everyone to be productive human beings that can function on their own and without any help from my tax dollars.
It's always six of one and half dozen of the other with you...you write some of the most elequent posts here on CD, but when it comes to issues involving race, you can't seem to get past the stumbling block of overused stereotypes!

I've seen other posts of yours where you talk about the interactions of your self and some of your black/minority co-workers...everything is fine until you start dredging up stereotypes, then what was once a promising dialogue goes south in an all-fired hurry---and that's the pity, because I can see that you are no dummy...you can't be, judging by how polished your posts are...

I think that you'd be AMAZED at the number of black and hispanic folk who would love to sit and discuss racial issues with you face to face, never once resorting to 'chicken-necking, forefinger-wagging, in-your-face-ism'...and that stuff about 'hood roots'? There are SO MANY of us who do indeed have roots in the hood, but have COME UP AND LEFT THAT BEHIND!

But, you'd never know that, because your frame of reference only includes a boatload of dated, silly, and just plain butt-chafing annoying sterotypes and caricatures...playing devil's advocate for a second, are there folks like you've described? Hell yes---some of them in my wife's family LOL! But (excuse my overuse of caps today, but I'm trying for emphasis), WE ARE NOT ALL LIKE THAT...we truly resent being 'typecast' so to speak, and we'll call you on it EVERY SINGLE TIME!!

All I'm asking (and I may be speaking for others here, so forgive me) is that you need to broaden your circle of association...spend time around folk other than your co-workers...interpersonal communication and face to face dialogue are powerful things---and you might even (GASP!) learn something non-stereotypical about us

Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,568,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Typical

Thanks for proving my point, by the way. This is exactly the sort of comment that someone makes while hiding behind a screen name. This person would never even dream of making such a statement in real life due to cowardice.

ETA: captaincatfish...very well said!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,562,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I am aware that racism is still quite pervasive in the U.S. Yet, there just seems to be this burgeoning racial tension, as well as this burgeoning expression of racism among some people. Of course, it is not manifested in its typical form. That is, it is not overtly manifested. Rather, its manifestation seems to have erupted on the internet. City Data is one example of this.

There are many contentious threads on “race” issues, and other threads that are only peripherally race-related, yet turn into contentious race issues. I am not surprised by the level of discussion in these threads. And, I believe that these threads serve as a “safe” way for some people to express their racist viewpoints. Whether people are upset that Obama is president, that Sotomayor will go through a nomination, that Michael Jackson has gotten too much press coverage, that the Williams sisters dominate tennis, that CNN will have a Race in America PT 2, ad infinitum – it just seems that the internet now serves as the predominate (and safe) way for some to express this racial frustration.

What do others think about this?
I have seen a few racial discussions also. However, I also observe that racial minorities, mostly blacks, do react with labeling someone as racist for not agreeing with their racial views.

A black can ask about some racials issue and if others do not agree the response has been to label that individual racist.

I also do agree that maybe some people do feel free to express their true feelings behind a computer because it is not popular to exress them in public. Why? Because they can face legal or personal harassment from those around.

I personaly do not care is someone is racist as long as that individual does not interfere with my life and my rights as a citizen. There are racist that do keep in their lane and do not bother others. That is fine with me. Actually, in some cases I have seen the minorities bothering those racist as if demanding they need to feel and view things their way. I do not agree with this since it only creates a further divide. I have seen racist that in their personal lives do not mingle with minorities at all but at work are the most fair people.

Racists is not a domain of whites. Boy! can black discriminate!! I have seen that and the worst thing about it is that often they do discriminate against each others as I have also seen latinos do the same on each other.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,932,190 times
alot of people dont mean it, but instead they say it for shock value and to get attention.

that happens when your bored and sit inside all day. you do dumb **** like that.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,389,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
You're right. The anonymity does make it easier for people to express their true attitudes, feelings, and beliefs. Once they are put out there, they are there for others to challenge critically.

Bob quote: Challenge critically? To be in disagreement at all defines 'hate spew' and racism.

I used to be a university professor. And, one of the classes that I used to teach focused on race issues. In that class, it was ideal for students to honestly express their feelings, because that became an opportunity for them and others to learn. This learning opportunity is their for everyone, even in everyday conversations.

Bob quote: Head scratch. Bewildered frown. Click. Understanding!
Not at university. Not on this planet. A very sweet musing though.

I do not think that their is anything that I have mentioned on CD that I wouldn't readily discuss with anyone face to face, be that a same-race or mixed race group. I wonder if others would feel equally comfortable discussing their comments face to face with a mixed race group. When you speak face to face, it becomes a forum where challenges to your points of view can serve as a learning tool -- a learning tool where you can grow. Although the Internet can serve that function too, I fear that the anonymity just allows people to spew hate, not with the intention of learning or helping others see another point of view, but simple just to spew hate.
[quote]

The only learning tool your likely to see will be the 'white boy behave stick' as it's being applied to the side of your noggin.
The spew won't be from hate' but from a concussion.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:51 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,718,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Typical

Thanks for proving my point, by the way. This is exactly the sort of comment that someone makes while hiding behind a screen name. This person would never even dream of making such a statement in real life due to cowardice.
It might also be due to the fact that some people, when confronted with their malevolent behavior (no matter how kind the confrontation is) immediately fly off in a rage.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,691,589 times
Geeeez... This was supposed to be a different forum, one that asked for better contributions than your own puny opinions. "the rise in racism,"on the web, has nothing to do with racial relations per se, it is however, a signal of a diminishing intellectual capacity in our countrymen.

The web is quickly becoming America's bar scene, half drunk know it alls, radio parrot's, and just plain nutcases are in abundant supply. One of the new concepts to flood the web is the one wherein whites are now the victim of racial snubs and downright disrespectfull talk. Of course this is usually the banter of that supreme group of individuals who have developed an ultra thin skin, they feel the tide has turned and now the Black folk's are gonna come out of the shadows and boot some white butt.

If these people are so convinced and fearfull of the apparent magnitude of this web based phenom that they are going to bother with posting here with half baked data and a whole lot of opinion we'll just have to move to a different topic and let these folks bash each other until they drop from exhaustion.

Real time racial relations, that is, the everyday meeting and greeting of different races in business as usual settings are indeed getting better, this fact is what is driving the rise in negative responses from those who have an agenda, skinheads, and their counterparts in the black community, certainly won't garner the helm of navigation from those who are determined have a better future. We have a lot to be angry about, whether we be black or white, history pits us against each other, the truth, ever elusive, continues to unfold, undeterred by the naysayers. Who would not consider the changes brought forth in the last four decades to be anything but a decline in racism? The fact that the web is an open forum for all types of hate is all the proof I need to disregard the majority of commentary made by fools and followers.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,438,588 times
Jerth

Could be said with fewer words but not clearer.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
I was on another thread about racial issues in Russia. Concerning the rise of racism on the internet, the article stated that many skinheads in Russia were taping their attacks on people and posting them on the internet. https://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post10126681
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates