Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 PM

324 posts, read 573,067 times

Advertisements

For the record what does it mean when a person is "black" or "white"? I have been trying to spot a black person and I am not able to find one. As a matter of fact, I am not able to find a white person either. The closest shade that I have come across is brown. From what I have observed, there is a wide spectrum of brown shades with different tones. I have seen very light brown to very dark brown complexions on human beings. I do not get how someone can be discriminated upon based on the shade of their complexion. Humans are very funny and extremely strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

37 posts, read 57,736 times
^Welsey Snipes and Conan O Brian, bamm ur search is over

Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
For the record what does it mean when a person is "black" or "white"? I have been trying to spot a black person and I am not able to find one. As a matter of fact, I am not able to find a white person either. The closest shade that I have come across is brown. From what I have observed, there is a wide spectrum of brown shades with different tones. I have seen very light brown to very dark brown complexions on human beings. I do not get how someone can be discriminated upon based on the shade of their complexion. Humans are very funny and extremely strange.
Try that logic if you ever need to get a bone marrow transplant and see how well it works out for ya.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
I think one of the reasons there's so much racism online is because in real life, people feel like they're forced to become more progressive and change their attitudes quicker than they're willing or can. So they still have racist thoughts but can't voice them in public obviously, so they grow resentful and need somewhere to express their feelings, so they go to the Internet where they can hide behind a keyboard and a screen monitor. I think it shows that a lot of "racism improving" is actually emotions undealt with, and for racism to truly become less and less of a reality, we have to acknowledge the racist thoughts and feelings people have so that they can change from the core and not just end up suppressing feelings that are still there.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
You're right. The anonymity does make it easier for people to express their true attitudes, feelings, and beliefs. Once they are put out there, they are there for others to challenge critically.

I used to be a university professor. And, one of the classes that I used to teach focused on race issues. In that class, it was ideal for students to honestly express their feelings, because that became an opportunity for them and others to learn. This learning opportunity is their for everyone, even in everyday conversations.

I do not think that their is anything that I have mentioned on CD that I wouldn't readily discuss with anyone face to face, be that a same-race or mixed race group. I wonder if others would feel equally comfortable discussing their comments face to face with a mixed race group. When you speak face to face, it becomes a forum where challenges to your points of view can serve as a learning tool -- a learning tool where you can grow. Although the internet can serve that function too, I fear that the anonymity just allows people to spew hate, not with the intention of learning or helping others see another point of view, but simple just to spew hate.
So you beleieve that people need to be intemidated to expresss a certain viewpoint. Do you beleieve the same about the writeen word or that people should be hauled to court that have the nerve to say what they really thnik. i am sure that even in your classes peoeple heald back much of what they thoguht. Views poihnts are not some thing that HAVE to be deabted. Inour society more and more view points are held back be cause of polircal correctness subjecting people to scorn if spoken.Theire really is no such thing as open freedon of speech really.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,804 times
I think the Power-elite are playing up race again because they want to ignite a third world war and they purposely put Obama in there to do so.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:38 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
The rise in racism on the internet?

Well......since the cost of computers over the past few years has steadily gone downward, they are more affordable which in turn, gives access to more of the lunatic fringe.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I think the Power-elite are playing up race again because they want to ignite a third world war and they purposely put Obama in there to do so.
Sounds like something you heard from O'Reilly.

Actually, it's in the best interest of the "power-elite" as O'Reilly calls them to quell any racist movements, particularly among Whites who are tired of globalization and losing their jobs to immigrants, thanks to the deliberate actions of the "power-elites".

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
I think the real problem with racism on the internet is that people feel a lot freer to say things when they're hidden safely behind a computer screen. Most of 'em would keep their mouths shut tightly in the real world.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think the real problem with racism on the internet is that people feel a lot freer to say things when they're hidden safely behind a computer screen. Most of 'em would keep their mouths shut tightly in the real world.
I agree with you 100%. The anonymity of the internet is a refuge of racist, bigots, and hate-mongers of all sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates