Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times

Advertisements

O MAN...I remember years ago, there was a stick-up at a grocery store in the city my aunt lives in. Guy walks in waving a gun all around and everyone hits the floor. Then robber hears the click of a revolver behind him. The guy behind him says something along the lines of "Here's whats going to happen. I'm going to leave and whatever you do after that I don't care."

Then the guy left!!!

Robber takes the store for all they're worth and leaves.

Not something that made the libby news that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
You don't own a handgun do you? You still following this debate that you initiated?

The presence of handguns in abundance reduces crime. There are crimes of exception, just as there are auto accidents of exception too. But autos have their purpose.

Fortunately, at least our police do not share the same opinion, as they understand the role of handguns. Police would be fools to remove handguns from their ranks. And if they did so, there would be less of a deterrent for criminals.

The same applies to responsible citizens. And handgun and defensive training is available to anyone, just as it is to police. Also, homeowners are experts of crime scenes, knowing first-hand who the intruder is. Whereas police on the other hand approach the scene minutes later, no knowing who is good or bad.

Most states that have allowed carry permits, have seen reduced violent crime, an antithesis to the view-point that a general outlaw of handguns has any merit.

Just to highlight an ommission of knowledge, some hunters do hunt with handguns, like the 454 Casul or Python .44 magnum with long barrel and scope. In some places, a long barrel rifle or shotgun is impractical - the sheer length.

One of the biggest facts that seems to contradict your post, are the areas where guns were already outlawed. In those areas, criminals still acquired guns of all sorts, and became the most well-armed on the streets.

There are not statistics I know of, that show the likelihood of criminals disarming armed citizens, or proliferation of children having accidents. Even if that was right - which is it not - a simple solution is requiring a model like the Smith & Wesson where the owners gun requires a ring for the gun to function. Other folks only carry on their person at all times, locking in a gun box when the firearem is not on their person.

Last edited by mdvaden; 07-29-2009 at 12:46 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
O MAN...I remember years ago, there was a stick-up at a grocery store in the city my aunt lives in. Guy walks in waving a gun all around and everyone hits the floor. Then robber hears the click of a revolver behind him. The guy behind him says something along the lines of "Here's whats going to happen. I'm going to leave and whatever you do after that I don't care."

Then the guy left!!!

Robber takes the store for all they're worth and leaves.

Not something that made the libby news that night.
THAT scene should have been in a Quentin Tarantino film .

Old 07-29-2009, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The purpose of handguns is to give an old fat guy like me a fighting chance in an armed confrontation. This applies even moreso to my wife.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
you seem to have excuses for why everyone else sucks. but that kind of undercuts your own argument. if very few people can actually take on an armed attacker with their bare hands (which is what we've been arguing and you are now admitting), then hand to hand combat doesn't seem to stand up to armed combat, does it?

either way, i don't know why we're still humoring your off-topic statements.

we are arguing that a handgun serves many purposes, one of them being self defense. whether you want to use one or not is of no consequence. others do want to use a handgun, and they have the right to do so.
I don't care about "my" excuses. I want to hear theirs, for why they are physically incapable of defending themselves without resorting to a weapon. Wastes of space.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't care about "my" excuses. I want to hear theirs, for why they are physically incapable of defending themselves without resorting to a weapon. Wastes of space.
TK - contrary to your desires and wishes, not everyone is built like the Governator - or is a Black Belt in Karate. There are some who have lost a limb or limbs defending this country - should they be killed to meet your desires? Or someone has a serious physical illness or is aged -

You don't believe that someone should be allowed to live if they are not able bodied - isn't this correct?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
This guy is an absolute waste of good air.
GL2

Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
This guy is an absolute waste of good air.
GL2

Amen.
His last post says it all. The mans a brat.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Purpose of Handguns

To shoot stuff with.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,437 times
Quote:

That has to be one of the rudest things I have seen in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates