Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 04:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You proved what? You proved absolutely nothing relevant to the topic.
So far all you have proven is that you are unable to have a rational discusion without going off on random meaningless tangents.

A determined person with a knife is much harder to defend against in close quarters than a man with a gun. If you know what you're doing anyway.
I do know what I'm doing, that's why I can defend against them. The knife is in someone's hand. Control the hand, and you control the weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Reality is where you are missing the boat. Defending ones self against a delusional and irrational person wielding an edged weapon and defending against a street hardened criminal, who may be a veteran of many knife fights, is quite another. While I find your confidence in your level of training and experience in unarmed combat...inspiring, I think you may have seen one to many Steven Seagal flicks. Personally, I feel that relying on strictly unarmed methods will get you killed. I will choose a different path, and remain good friends with Col. Colt.
She wasn't the only person. I've defended myself from two other knife toters. Even have the knife from one of them. Nice knife, double edged. I'd like to get a sheath for it sometime.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:06 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,315 times
Default Guns, knives, and common sense....

Muleskinner you are right on the mark. The magic number is 21 feet or closer. An individual within that range with a knife will beat a handgun every time. I spent two weeks in knife fighting school and even though I do not always carry a handgun when I go out, very few times do I go without a knife.

It is a fact in this society that there are violent people by nature, and you have to defend yourself and family at times. If they are using a weapon I would like one two. Common sense will tell you if you are attacked, and your attacker is armed, you are at an extreme tactical disadvantage if you cannot meet force with like force. If you cannot see this for what it is I hope you are never put in a position to try and save a family member, the outcome will not favor you.

Wahington DC did ban handguns and they have the highest homicide rate in the nation. Arizona allows every citizen, legally allowed, to carry concealed. AZ has the lowest homicide rate in the nation, go figure. The courts have overturned the ban.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:20 AM

Defending with open hands is better than not having both hands free. I never carry anything in my hands while walking for that reason.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post
Muleskinner you are right on the mark. The magic number is 21 feet or closer. An individual within that range with a knife will beat a handgun every time. I spent two weeks in knife fighting school and even though I do not always carry a handgun when I go out, very few times do I go without a knife.

It is a fact in this society that there are violent people by nature, and you have to defend yourself and family at times. If they are using a weapon I would like one two. Common sense will tell you if you are attacked, and your attacker is armed, you are at an extreme tactical disadvantage if you cannot meet force with like force. If you cannot see this for what it is I hope you are never put in a position to try and save a family member, the outcome will not favor you.

Wahington DC did ban handguns and they have the highest homicide rate in the nation. Arizona allows every citizen, legally allowed, to carry concealed. AZ has the lowest homicide rate in the nation, go figure. The courts have overturned the ban.
GOOD POST! ^

At around 1:00 on this vid ,this dude starts showing why you can't beat a knife and says as much....you can NOT defend yourself EMPTY handed against a SKILLED knife fighter and anyone who thinks they can is just plain ignorant of the facts of life...end of story .

MANY prisoners practice knife skills hour after hour and day after day while YOU go along with your daily life and not giving it a second thought.

YouTube - Mahaguru (The Art of "Belati Knife")

Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 AM

Yet I've done it more than once

Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I call BS....either you HAVE defended yourself against two knife attacks by people who were clueless on how to use one OR what you say is a fantasy in your own mind....one or the other.

A clueless moron off the street is a completely different animal than a skilled knife fighter.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:09 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Hmmm, I think Mules meter is working. OK, TK, you have come up against skilled blade guys , more than once, empty handed, and come out without a single cut? . Just lucky ,maybe? Or, perhaps, the guys you came up against were not exactly top hands with a blade. I much prefer the option of not closing with a knife wielding attacker. By doing so you are palying on HIS ground, and I like my internal organs just fine where they are, thanks.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Muleskinner's BS meter has TKramar nailed.

This whole deal with a gun being useless in a close quarter fight against the knife leaves out ONE very important factor. REACTION TIME!

Yes if the party with the gun is within "closing" distance of the knife wielder and his gun is holstered and the knife wielder has already started his attack the gun owner is going to get cut. The question is how badly. Even with a fatal cut the gun wielder will have probably be able to get off a few rounds and BOTH parties will probably be dead.

Surviving a few slices probably has better odds than surviving six to fifteen hits with a .38 to .44 caliber slug.

There is only one way I know of that instant death can be inflicted with a knife. Not so with a large caliber handgun.

GL2

Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 AM

297 posts, read 519,787 times
In the state I live in, New Jersey, you are not allowed to shoot an intruder who comes into your home and threatens your family. I learned this in 7th grade by a police officer and even though I didn't know much about gun rights/control then, I was shocked. I live in a liberal state but a lot of people have guns here. We did a poll in one of my classes of about 23 kids and found that all together, we owned about 60 guns.

You say that Chicago, San Francisco, and DC have outlawed guns. When I was in DC about 5 years ago, I heard about a shooting everyday on the news. Were guns banned then? Because it was not working very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates