Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 05:29 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Let's say I am an expert with bombs. I took a class on bombs and know a lot about them.

Should I (being a free, non-criminal person) be able to strap explosives to my body and walk around densely populated areas?

If not, why?

Because there is no justifyable reason to do so & you cannot, regardless of expertise use a bomb for any legal use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
A gun is not going to protect me when I have a gang of people surrounding me with guns of their own, and whose intent is to kill me.

Wouldn't them knowing that I have explosives strapped to my chest be a better deterrent to them shooting at me than just me having a gun?

Even one person would be more hesitant to pull a gun on me if I had explosives on me.

Using the 'self-defense' argument, it would seem that explosives would be better than guns.

(Disclaimer: These posts are for the sake of argument. I do not advocate the wearing of explosives.)

When folks resort to the ridiculous to support their position it makes their position obviously ridiculous. Besides, cops shoot people with bombs strapped to them all the time.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Because there is no justifyable reason to do so & you cannot, regardless of expertise use a bomb for any legal use.
Wow. Just wow.

I think we are on different wavelengths, and I mean that in the most ambiguously pejorative way possible.

This thread seems ripe with anti-intellectuals, so I bid you all adieu.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And I'm not forcing anyone to give up their guns. You want to be stupid, go right ahead. I don't want to stop you.

Yes you do. Your just to weak willed to state what you mean & too inbred to see how transparent you are.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Explosives would be an even BIGGER deterrent. Instead of MAYBE getting shot, it is a 'You shoot me and you automatically die' deal.

Ahh yes, so we should just ignore 'exceptionally uncommon' scenarios altogether then, correct? What would be the purpose of carrying guns be then? Would it not be to defend yourself in 'exceptionally uncommon' scenarios?

Having your life threatened by another human being with a weapon is an 'exceptionally uncommon' event. Maybe not as uncommon in America (there are reasons for this) as other developed countries, but 'exceptionally uncommon' nonetheless.

So you find it acceptable to indescriminately destroy property & innocent life? Most gun owners will never use one against another person. Most who use one in self defense never fire a shot. But those few who do need to are not blowing up neighborhoods. They generally shoot their attacker & have a much better track record than the police.

Explosives are not a deterrant anyway, why not just back off & shoot your bomb?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I do watch a fair bit of films, but I am pretty sure we watch different types of films, you and I. I have a large disdain for Hollywood, and rarely watch movies that come out of the big studios there. I am quite sure that your perceptions of the world are more affected by Hollywood/American media than mine.

Find ONE report of an instance where multiple attackers with guns killed ONE person? Gee, this might be hard....

Even if you are right, And thats a stretch since your scenerio is one with trained bad guys, something thats not very common at all. But if you are right then people should set by & let their wives get raped, families killed, property stolen or whatever just because the gangsta -A- team might be comin to git me?

Thats like saying not to bother with a fire extinguisher because in a worst case scenerio they are useless. Never mind that many thousands of fires are stopped before anyone is hurt & property is destroyed because someone had a fire extinguisher. Never mind that somewhere around 2 million times a year people use guns in LEGAL defense in the USA. I can say with very little doubt that a dozen armed men would have great difficulty taking me & my family out if we were at home. The fact is that if more people took the time to learn to shoot & armed themselves then an innocent surrounded by bad guys would be much less common. Criminals do what they do because they know that most people are helpless & think that situational awareness alone matters. All it does if your unarmed is let you know you are about to become a victim.

The only rational thing about you is that you choose to distance yourself from T Krumpet.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:15 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Ahh, okay. So then the idea that a shooter "could" be hurt by a victim with a gun should be thrown out as well. You can't have it both ways. If you are going to dismiss the self-defense/psychological deterrent argument for explosives, then you can't use a self-defense/psychological deterrent argument for guns.

I find any device that can be carried on the person in which the general populace can end someones life with the flick of a finger to be absurd. In my mind, explosives are as just as absurd as guns. Because I find it absurd, should we just ignore the arguments for guns? I find it best to address issues from an objective standpoint.

P.S. This is unrelated to the topic, but is English your native language?
I could care a fart in a high wind what you think of my command of English pard, and even less about your feelings on firearms for self defense. The lofty sense of self importance surrounding your posts is as irritating as it is unfounded. You call people 'anti intellectual', , but before making such assertions and claiming some sort of mental high ground, you really SHOULD take a look in the mirror. It is not intellectualism that folks find to be repugnant, it is the claim, that some place to said intellect, while, in reality, it is merely a pompous attitude based on a faulty perception of self. If my linguistic skills are so far beneath you, why have you bothered to engage me at all? Perhaps you were just having a little...light workout aye? At any rate, your correlation of explosives to firearms is STLL faulty and illogical. The premise is flawed, on a fundamental level, which I HAVE pointed out, and which you have artfully deflected. Your knowledge of firearms and self defense is rather scanty, which is quite apparent. Typical of most anti firearms types. I suppose that having actual experience in this area is not really required just to label folks and hurl vile and arrogant invective. Yes , English is my 'native' language, but I used to speak a mixture of Tagolog, English and the native language of the Negrito people when I was young. Drove my folks nuts, but it was a result of my environment. My..mentor (good a word as any) was a Negrito, my nanny was a Filipina, and ,of course, there was my folks, who spoke English. So, there ya go. Magandang Gabi................

Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

I think we are on different wavelengths, and I mean that in the most ambiguously pejorative way possible.

Whats intellectual about absurd analogies? See ya, have a nice life.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
So if someone slowed their car down by you to ask for directions you would...?
As rude as it may be, not walk up to the car to answer them. An older man or woman? I would let my guard down some. A guy in a metallic lime green Caprice Classic rollin' on 24's? No way.

-Robert

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

now that he is gone, we are short one mod-required anti-intellectual. we need to meet our quota; might have to see if we can get tricky back.

kidding. i know, bad joke, but it came out before i could swallow it back down.

on the more serious side, i find it pretty amusing that the one accusing everyone else of being anti-intellectual is incapable of understanding the multiple logical fallacies that he was operating under.

not to mention that he couldn't see the fairly blatant discrepancies between his comparison of firearms to explosives. it offered an interesting twist to the way that i am used to looking at the problem, but it was still an invalid argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates