Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times

Advertisements

For all of the recreational shooters on this board here is something for you to try.

I don't participate in organized shooting events much anymore. However I have a family farm where I can go to when I feel the need to go some place other than the public ranges around here. I have two Nephews I try to take to the family farm as often as we can all get the same time off. One section of the farm is as flat as a pool table and after the wheat crop is harvested it makes a great shooting range. No neighbors for three miles in any direction except East.

Our favorite informal competition is on a range marked off with lines similar to those on a football field. We usually shoot from a haywagon that puts us about 6 or 7 feet above ground level yet it is very stable. I collect old tennis balls for the targets. Each shooter has a ball of a color so he can identify his ball. The balls are lined up on the starting line which is usually 20 yards from the haywagon. Each shooter is allowed the same number of bullets. When the ready. . . aim. . . fire signal is given the first shooter to put the ball across the 100 yard line in the fewest number of shots is the winner.

The .22 caliber rifles and handguns are the most fun in this competition. A tennis ball can be taped over and over for reuse with a .22. Some of the bigger stuff will shred the tennis ball before it ever gets across the line. My Nephews are in their 20's and 30's now and it is difficult getting time off to get together to do this much now but they still enjoy it when they get the chance. It is fun for all skill levels and even the experienced shooters are challenged when trying to hit a moving tennis ball at 100 yards.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 01:52 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
For all of the recreational shooters on this board here is something for you to try.

I don't participate in organized shooting events much anymore. However I have a family farm where I can go to when I feel the need to go some place other than the public ranges around here. I have two Nephews I try to take to the family farm as often as we can all get the same time off. One section of the farm is as flat as a pool table and after the wheat crop is harvested it makes a great shooting range. No neighbors for three miles in any direction except East.

Our favorite informal competition is on a range marked off with lines similar to those on a football field. We usually shoot from a haywagon that puts us about 6 or 7 feet above ground level yet it is very stable. I collect old tennis balls for the targets. Each shooter has a ball of a color so he can identify his ball. The balls are lined up on the starting line which is usually 20 yards from the haywagon. Each shooter is allowed the same number of bullets. When the ready. . . aim. . . fire signal is given the first shooter to put the ball across the 100 yard line in the fewest number of shots is the winner.

The .22 caliber rifles and handguns are the most fun in this competition. A tennis ball can be taped over and over for reuse with a .22. Some of the bigger stuff will shred the tennis ball before it ever gets across the line. My Nephews are in their 20's and 30's now and it is difficult getting time off to get together to do this much now but they still enjoy it when they get the chance. It is fun for all skill levels and even the experienced shooters are challenged when trying to hit a moving tennis ball at 100 yards.

GL2
Golf balls are fun targets to. We tee them up and have challenges to see who can drive them furthest.. These informal sessions , such as you bring up, are some of the most fun you can have with a good shooting iron and a box of ammo. Ya know, the .22 should be considered an American traditional icon. Monuments could be built to the various uses to which it is put and the rifles and pistols chambered for it.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMAO, we live on a small ranch genius, and we have livestock. You think my son doesn't know how to work? He bought most of his own equipment he uses for shooting with money he earned doing odd jobs for folks herebouts, using skills he learned working with me in my business or here on the place. Math? You know nothing about shooting and reloading. Nuf said there.Saying nothing about the mechanical engineering, physics and chemistry involved with our sport as well. As for hand to hand self defense, he is quite capable thanks, even without the things I have taught him, that were passed down to me from my Dad. My son is also an avid fisherman, we have a bass pond within walking distance that he would live on in the summer if he could. Out here , there is no place he can't go, with a .22 rifle and a fishing pole.We also have a very extensive private library, with works ranging from the classics of Greek, Roman and Norse mythology, to Edgar Rice Burroughs, James Clavell, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, the full set of Louis La'Amour and Zane Gray,I can't list all the literature we have.Ever heard of the New Departure Handbook? Lol, this book is one of his bibles. My son is a rough, tough little drink of turpentine with a brain to match. Your posts on my...parental skills, are insulting and uninformed. Back off please. Your messing around in an area that the NO TRESPASSING signs are quite clearly posted on.
You forgot to quote the part where I said it's YOUR kid and you could do what you want. At least, until the feds make some kind of law against it.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Your logic is just all furzumpled. Nobody's buying that garagulin you're selling, TK. But hey, believe what you wupolize. I guess if people use it, it must be a word, rinteric?

This is off topic, so I won't continue this tangent, but you've been thoroughly owned here, and you're too proud to admit it. THAT's why I'm laughing. If you'd have just admitted that you used the wrong word, it would've been no big deal, but noooooo......
Hmmph. My logic is perfectly sound. It is a word used on a widespread basis...else, how would I have heard of it?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:56 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,810 times
Hunting and handguns? Not so much. Hunting is normally done with a rifle. And not a military grade weapon either.
OK you stepped in it
What is a Military Grade weapon ?
Cal. length, weight, Color? what >
I dare you to answer with facts.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM

A military grade weapon would be those weapons in current use by some nation's military.

The AK-47. The M-16. The M-14. The Uzi. The Galil rifle. Heckler and Koch produces a number of bullpup rifles that are used overseas by the military forces there.

The calibers vary, the lengths vary, and weights vary. The CAR-15 isn't the same length and weight as the M-16, for example.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
We live in a country where guns are legal and common. Many people love their guns and insist on owning them. Its a tradition. There is no way you (and I) can convince them to give up. No argument will convince them. So what's the point? Are you willing to start a civil war on gun control? I am not. Its not worth it.

Last edited by oberon_1; 07-18-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 PM

A professional billiards player has a concept of angles. It doesn't make him a physicist, or engineer. A cook has a concept of what ingredients go together, in what proportions. It doesn't make him a chemist.

Having intuitive abilities in your chosen field does not mean you can apply those lessons to other areas. Having skills in one area also doesn't mean you can translate it to other areas. I'm willing to wager that the "calculations" you are talking about are merely intuitive ones, and wouldn't help in making change, or balancing a checkbook.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
A professional billiards player has a concept of angles. It doesn't make him a physicist, or engineer. A cook has a concept of what ingredients go together, in what proportions. It doesn't make him a chemist.

Having intuitive abilities in your chosen field does not mean you can apply those lessons to other areas. Having skills in one area also doesn't mean you can translate it to other areas. I'm willing to wager that the "calculations" you are talking about are merely intuitive ones, and wouldn't help in making change, or balancing a checkbook.
learning math in any application will help in other applications, and your wager is wrong–marksmanship can become very technical, especially at long ranges, and esecially with moving targets. if you'd have actually bet money there, you would have lost more than just an argument.

stick to topics that you know something about, or at least do your homework before making wagers when you are talking about freedoms and rights that you think should be stripped from perfectly lawful people.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 AM

Prove that they're lawful--beyond a shadow of a doubt. Like the woman who shot her own kid in Casselberry, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates