Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 05:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
TKramer, you should really spend your energies banning automobiles. They are so much more dangerous than guns and a good argument to keep out of kids until the age of maybe 25?

Everyday a kid takes a car to school & injures another kid or himself.
I've suggested we raise the driving age to 25 before also. Also, I don't drive. I don't need to. I've walked 6 miles on a daily basis before, I've even gone as far as 25 miles, walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
We need another government department that oversees stupid activities and sports played by stupid people. I'd love to see us ban some very dangerous activities like darts, golf, driving go karts, bow hunting, owning a knife under the age of 21 and any type of skiing.

We could save a lot of lives and prevent countless injuries.

There must be some illiteracy test you must pass to do these activities to protect us from their dangers. I'm sure the Govt could do a great job of protecting us good folk from all those crazy drunk dart throwing golfers.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
We need another government department that oversees stupid activities and sports played by stupid people. I'd love to see us ban some very dangerous activities like darts, golf, driving go karts, bow hunting, owning a knife under the age of 21 and any type of skiing.

There must be some illiteracy test you must pass to do these activities to protect us from their dangers. I'm sure the Govt could do a great job of protecting us good folk from all those crazy drunk dart throwing golfers.
No. I can't support your proposal. Sorry. I'm opposed.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't advocate the literacy test, just a "common sense" test. If you don't have it, you're not permitted to do any of those things. Now, I believe that if the police stop you and search you, and you have a knife on you, they MAY charge you for having a weapon. I'm pretty sure the issues here in Florida are: no switchblades, and no blades longer than 6 inches. As a matter of fact, they also have regulations against "go karts" and other off-road vehicles.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
The RIGHT to Bare Arms is a Constitutional Right and one of the Bill of Rights, The Congress shall Make NO LAW. That means that if you pass laws that erode that right you are eroding ALL of the Bill of Rights.
If you want to change it you have to Amend the Constitution

Old 07-19-2009, 09:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Prove that they're lawful--beyond a shadow of a doubt. Like the woman who shot her own kid in Casselberry, right?
don't need to. in the usa, we like to prosecute people *after* they have committed a crime, not before. you are going into this conversation with a logically unsupportable argument: that these people are criminals. not only is that a generalization, but it is one of the dumbest ones that i've seen. unfortunately, you're not even the only to try it here; trickyd made that accuastion a few months ago, but could never back it up with anything. i'm betting that you are in the same boat, paddling in circles in the middle of the atlantic somewhere.

Quote:
What part of "intuitive" don't you get?
i knew that you have been fairly cognitively challenged in these debates, but you are now reaching new levels of disconnect.

apparently, you've forgotten what it was that you said. i'll remind you:

Quote:
I'm willing to wager that the "calculations" you are talking about are merely intuitive ones, and wouldn't help in making change, or balancing a checkbook.
that was your claim, your assumption, and your apparent wrong use of a vocabulary word that you don't understand. you said that you would bet that these calculations were intuitive. i responded that they are not. then a few other shooters gave you specifics about how they are not intuitive. you lose–and you also apparently don't understand the meaning of the word intuitive. good job.

Quote:
And of course, if you have a teenager, they can take it to school and shoot someone. For some reason, we had a rash of shootings at schools. Because guns are openly available in the U.S.
what does that mean then when other countries have shootings, like canada, britain, and other ban-happy communities?

Quote:
I don't own a swimming pool either. But it's probably a good idea to ban them.
here we go again.

Quote:
Really? I was on a rifle team in high school. JROTC.
doesn't have anything to do with his post. that was a poor excuse for a deflection. if you're going to try to con your way out of a debate, at least try to do a good job of it. otherwise, along with showing that you have nothing to support your claims or to challenge anyone else's, you show that you don't have the equipment to participate in a discussion in the first place.

Quote:
I've suggested we raise the driving age to 25 before also. Also, I don't drive. I don't need to. I've walked 6 miles on a daily basis before, I've even gone as far as 25 miles, walking.
and here we go again.

tk the superguy, who wants to impose his way of life on everyone else, because he can beat superman in a fistfight, can walk to and from work and school, uphill both ways, and doesn't believe in sports, swimming pools, cars, electronics, gravity, or human intelligence.

welcome to the twilight zone.

aaron out.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Hey, I believe in intelligence. I just don't believe you have any of it, Aaron.

As I pointed out, just because a chef can put ingredients together in a certain manner, it does not mean that he knows how to do math. It doesn't take conscious thought. There are a lot of things like that out there. I have no doubt that professionals or experts can do things intuitively, just because they have so much experience with it.

It also does not mean you can translate it to other areas, make it useful in other parts of life.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The RIGHT to Bare Arms is a Constitutional Right and one of the Bill of Rights, The Congress shall Make NO LAW. That means that if you pass laws that erode that right you are eroding ALL of the Bill of Rights.
If you want to change it you have to Amend the Constitution
I don't see why anyone would have a problem with bare arms.

Bearing arms seems to be hotly contested, however.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
If experience is needed its not intuitive, its learned.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns.
I could've sworn the citizens of DC were now allowed to defend themselves with a gun, handgun or otherwise. The Second Amendment finally applies to them. So what kind of guns are they allowed?

Chicago and San Fransisco are probably the most liberal places in the country, hence their distaste for self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates