Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Experience in one area does not necessarily apply itself to other areas. A pool player making a shot understands angles, but that does not imply that he's a world class physicist.

Aaron, again, consider the example of the chef who simply KNOWS how to put ingredients together, because of his experience with similar, but still disparate, examples. For example, a baker could put together a fine potato gnocchi. His experience isn't with potatoes, but he could figure it out INTUITIVELY without much trouble.
we're on a first name basis now? owing to earlier when you were remarking on how stupid i was, i can honestly say that i wasn't expecting that.

also, i notice that despite how stupid you apparently think i am, you still have no answer to any of my challenges except for one, and as i will show later on in this post, that answer is inadequate.

what you fail to understand is that the simple fact that he *studied* to become a chef in the first place is an application that will help him across the board, and that natural talent notwithstanding, it was dedication, practice, and study that made him a chef in the first place. your analysis falls short on many levels.

Quote:
c: the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

This is exactly the definition that applies...."no rational thought".
nope, because you are taking it out of context. put the whole quote in there. "...attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought..."

notice the part about attaining.

it doesn't start out as a natural talent. there is no "shooting" instinct that mankind is inherently born with. it is an acquired talent. certain people show more skill in it than others, and many people have astounding levels of intuitive understanding of the sport, but even they had to start out learning it from a qualified instructor, the same old way i did, the same old way the olympic shooters did it, and no amount of argument from you is going to erase that reality.

a champion shooter has definitely learned how to shoot "intuitively" using kentucky windage, as it is often called, but that same champion would not be a champion if he or she never cracked the books and learned the mechanics behind the sport. either way, this is tangential as regarding the validity of shooting as a pasttime, simply because the whole of it is based off of your oft-spouted mantra, i don't see any benefit to it, therefore there is none.

that is how you argue almost every point that you try to make on c-d. if you don't appreciate something as a hobby, a philosophy, etc, then no one else should, and all of the rest of us are obviously wrong just because we don't worship at the same altar that you do.

again, good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,711,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't see why anyone would have a problem with bare arms.

Bearing arms seems to be hotly contested, however.
But how can you have Bear Arms without Bear Feet?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,872,492 times
Quote:
It becomes intuitive because of experience. The person can know what to do in a scenario they've never experienced, because of the ones they have. Have you known any cooks that didn't use measuring cups, or measuring spoons? But have a perfect understanding of how much they need of each ingredient? It's intuitive.
In the example gave earlier I said MOST bench rest shooters could take a quality rifle off a store shelf and buy the components for the ammo for that particular caliber of rifle and put together three rounds of ammo for that weapon.
They could take that rifle out to the range and with a laser bore site adjust the scope or iron sights and shoot those three rounds in a two inch circle.

THAT is not intuitive! That is science and applied Math and skill. Intuitive shooting is when you take a box of 20 rounds and start shooting at a target and adjusting after each shot until shot placement is consistent. That is a skill also and even that takes practice and and more practice.

GL2

Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Putting together the rounds with the right number of grains, that's the intuitive part. But, as above, there is nothing to show that being able to do THAT operation is applicable to any other skill. Just because the chef can put together ingredients, doesn't make him a chemist. And it doesn't make the shooter a chef.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
who wants to impose his way of life on everyone else,
Sorry, I have neither the power nor the desire to make people conform to my way of doing things. That would be like...making laws, or something...and I'm thoroughly opposed to laws. Every man must make his own decisions...be FREE to make his own decisions of what's best for him. Society and government have no right to enforce anything on him.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,420,800 times
Quote:
c: the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

This is exactly the definition that applies...."no rational thought".

Except there is rational thought or experience wouldn't matter.
Whats your point anyway in this regard?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,420,800 times
Quote:
Sorry, I have neither the power nor the desire to make people conform to my way of doing things. That would be like...making laws, or something...and I'm thoroughly opposed to laws. Every man must make his own decisions...be FREE to make his own decisions of what's best for him. Society and government have no right to enforce anything on him.

Are you intuitively forgetful? You have repeatedly said you favor many restrictive laws, from guns to driving to others too numerous to bother with.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
But we should ban all guns, right?

You've just proven to us beyond any shadow of a doubt that you are the hypocrite we all already knew you were. Back to ignore for you...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
But how can you have Bear Arms without Bear Feet?
Would that also mean you would have Bear Genitals?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,605 times
Quote:
i'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and annihilate your silly post with the truth.

not ten pages earlier, you were mentioning that you would be ok with banning swimming pools. you have posted repeatedly that you are ok with banning guns. i am fairly certaint hat i remember you saying in the past that you like the idea of banning cars, etc.

you like the idea of banning everything that doesn't fit your way of life. not only does this absolutely refute your ridiculous claim that you are "thoroughly opposed to laws" (because you can't ban things without laws, smart guy), but it shows that you don't have the desire or mental capacity to look at any of these debates with an objective view.

which is it? are you incapable, or do you just not care to?

constantly, constantly you make remarks about how hobbies that you don't participate in are a waste of time, are a crutch, are [insert other condescending, ignorant remark here], while making sure we understand how holy and sanctified your personal hobbies and values are.

do you not understand how evident this is of a lack of critical thinking on your part, again either because of ignorance or apathy? do you really not understand this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates