Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Handgun competition has helped me teach my son respect, self control, and keeps him out working on his skills instead of in front of video games. Thats a bad thing? Should I go on? It gets to be a pretty long list of positives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
relying on a crutch? that's a bad thing. Why shoot when you have two hands, two feet, and a brain in your head? (not to mention the knees, elbows, and head).
Tell us, TK - what activities would you have his son doing that you wouldn't consider to be "crutches," and how are the positive aspects of those activities so fundamentally different, and better?

This should be good. I can't wait to see how you rationalize whatever your answer will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:26 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
relying on a crutch? that's a bad thing. Why shoot when you have two hands, two feet, and a brain in your head? (not to mention the knees, elbows, and head).
Crutch? What are you talking about? The competitions we shoot in are no different than ,say, playing baseball. It's an athletic endeavor. One that requires skill, self control, focus knowledge. I'm not sure what it is your trying to say. Are you saying that I should be taking him to Karate instead? He doesn't like Karate, he's OK with baseball and loves rodeo, but handgun competition is his favorite sport, and he's damn good at it. That's hardly a crutch, and how I spend time with my son, and how proper values are instilled in him is no ones business but mine. The people at the meets are good folks, and they are positive influences to him. He has learned to listen to the voice of experience from to many of these people to list. How many 13 year olds actually listen to adults? The kid can put down 8 targets in as many seconds, and is improving with each match. The Army recruiter has already started a resume' for him to apply to the AMU when he is of age to make that choice. He says sir, and ma'am, please and thank you and carries himself with a confidence he did not have before he started shooting competitively, and his self esteem has grown leaps and bounds with each EARNED victory. It's no different than any youngster who excells at any other sport. He earns straight A's and B's so he can keep shooting, thats part of the deal, and I'll take all the help I can get to keep his nose in those books. If that's a crutch, I'll take it thanks.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Tell us, TK - what activities would you have his son doing that you wouldn't consider to be "crutches," and how are the positive aspects of those activities so fundamentally different, and better?

This should be good. I can't wait to see how you rationalize whatever your answer will be.
He can do what he wants with his own kid. It's called freedom. I just don't happen to agree with it. How about teaching him how to work? Teach him boxing, wrestling, something like that. Teach him how to use his imagination, or how to perform math--in his head, without using paper or calculators. I just think it's a crutch.

There's a type of fishing I've heard of where they don't use a line or pole, they use their bare hands to catch the fish. How about teaching him THAT?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No, it's not.

Merriam-Webster Online (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/brandishment - broken link)
brandishment definition | Dictionary.com

I can't help it if there are people in positions of authority who are just as ignorant as you. The fact that you found it online doesn't mean it's a word...

Anyway... Thanks for continuing the hilarity!
I'd say that perhaps Webster isn't the final authority on whether something is a word or not? If people USE it, it's a word. Sorry about your luck.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Crutch? What are you talking about? The competitions we shoot in are no different than ,say, playing baseball. It's an athletic endeavor. One that requires skill, self control, focus knowledge. I'm not sure what it is your trying to say. Are you saying that I should be taking him to Karate instead? He doesn't like Karate, he's OK with baseball and loves rodeo, but handgun competition is his favorite sport, and he's damn good at it. That's hardly a crutch, and how I spend time with my son, and how proper values are instilled in him is no ones business but mine. The people at the meets are good folks, and they are positive influences to him. He has learned to listen to the voice of experience from to many of these people to list. How many 13 year olds actually listen to adults? The kid can put down 8 targets in as many seconds, and is improving with each match. The Army recruiter has already started a resume' for him to apply to the AMU when he is of age to make that choice. He says sir, and ma'am, please and thank you and carries himself with a confidence he did not have before he started shooting competitively, and his self esteem has grown leaps and bounds with each EARNED victory. It's no different than any youngster who excells at any other sport. He earns straight A's and B's so he can keep shooting, thats part of the deal, and I'll take all the help I can get to keep his nose in those books. If that's a crutch, I'll take it thanks.
I don't like baseball--or any other sports--myself. But it's your prerogative.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:01 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
How about teaching him how to work?
Any sport where you have to put a lot of effort into it before winning is easily transferable to the working world. Football taught me to take pride in my individual effort no matter what. In my case it was a losing effort every Friday night but I still kept giving 100% no matter what my teammates did. It also gave me a sense of competitiveness that I still have today. From the description it sounds like his son also has developed humility. That never took with me.

Quote:
Teach him boxing, wrestling, something like that. Teach him how to use his imagination,
I'm assuming you chose boxing and wrestling as forms of self defense. I've been watching a lot of self defense videos and thinking about taking a course but I've seen very little where boxing or wrestling would be applicable.

Quote:
how to perform math--in his head, without using paper or calculators.
In shooting you are quickly performing calculations based distance and bullet drop to properly aim.

Quote:
I just think it's a crutch.
I think that marksmanship is just one part of a person who is well rounded in self defense. But we aren't discussing total self defense. Right now you are critisizing a family who is taking part in a sport that has parts in the olympics. They are making memories that will last a lifetime and hopefully a stronger family bond.

Quote:
There's a type of fishing I've heard of where they don't use a line or pole, they use their bare hands to catch the fish. How about teaching him THAT?
'Hogging' as it is called in these parts is extremely dangerous. First you need a swamp to walk around in. NV Plumber has a limited number of them in his state. Then you blindly stick your hand in a hollow log looking for a large catfish. On a good day you are risking being finned by a 30 pound channel cat. That will send you to the hospital with a nasty infection. On a bad day you will find a 100 pound logger-head turtle who will bite off a few fingers, a den of water moccasins who are poisonous or a gator. Great family fun for a teenager.

-Robert

Old 07-18-2009, 07:47 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times
Quote:
He can do what he wants with his own kid. It's called freedom. I just don't happen to agree with it. How about teaching him how to work? Teach him boxing, wrestling, something like that. Teach him how to use his imagination, or how to perform math--in his head, without using paper or calculators. I just think it's a crutch.

The fishing you refer to is called "noodling" in my neck of the woods. Yes I have done it and it was fun.

Do you know anything about ballistics TKKramar?

If you go to any benchrest shooting range anywhere in the country just about every shooter on the line probably knows more about ballistics than the average "Rocket Scientist".

How about combustion of various powders? A lot of advanced Chemistry and Physics is involved there and again MOST of the shooters on that line at a benchrest competition can lecture for several hours on several topics related to shooting.

Karate, wrestling, football or whatever sport you mention is great for those kids who are physically capable of doing them. Not every kid is a jock! When I was a youngster I was participated in several athletic activities at pretty high levels but shooting was my true love. At 62 I no longer do or can do most of those athletic activities because of injuries. However I can still do fairly well on the shooting line. I have taught several young people how to shoot firearms and archery over the past thirty years. Some of those kids are now close to forty. Most of them still enjoy hunting and shooting. Very few of them are participating in Karate, Football, Basketball etc. Shooting skills can be enjoyed for a lifetime.

Plus anyone can learn shooting skills even if they no longer have the physical ability to participate in things like swimming, golf, football or other strenuous activities. I do MOST of my shooting from a wheelchair.

GL2

Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:

LMAO, we live on a small ranch genius, and we have livestock. You think my son doesn't know how to work? He bought most of his own equipment he uses for shooting with money he earned doing odd jobs for folks herebouts, using skills he learned working with me in my business or here on the place. Math? You know nothing about shooting and reloading. Nuf said there.Saying nothing about the mechanical engineering, physics and chemistry involved with our sport as well. As for hand to hand self defense, he is quite capable thanks, even without the things I have taught him, that were passed down to me from my Dad. My son is also an avid fisherman, we have a bass pond within walking distance that he would live on in the summer if he could. Out here , there is no place he can't go, with a .22 rifle and a fishing pole.We also have a very extensive private library, with works ranging from the classics of Greek, Roman and Norse mythology, to Edgar Rice Burroughs, James Clavell, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, the full set of Louis La'Amour and Zane Gray,I can't list all the literature we have.Ever heard of the New Departure Handbook? Lol, this book is one of his bibles. My son is a rough, tough little drink of turpentine with a brain to match. Your posts on my...parental skills, are insulting and uninformed. Back off please. Your messing around in an area that the NO TRESPASSING signs are quite clearly posted on.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
I'd say that perhaps Webster isn't the final authority on whether something is a word or not? If people USE it, it's a word. Sorry about your luck.
Your logic is just all furzumpled. Nobody's buying that garagulin you're selling, TK. But hey, believe what you wupolize. I guess if people use it, it must be a word, rinteric?

This is off topic, so I won't continue this tangent, but you've been thoroughly owned here, and you're too proud to admit it. THAT's why I'm laughing. If you'd have just admitted that you used the wrong word, it would've been no big deal, but noooooo......

Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 AM

We have been building my son a 1911 .45 lately. He prefers to shoot revolver, but as he moves up in classes he is needing to pick up the speed a little, and this gun could be the answer. I've got him doing detail strips, and doing some of the tuning, under my directin, working from Jerry Kuhnhausens Shop Manual on the 1911. He's getting to be a whizbang on micrometer measured tolerances, and machined parts fitting and finishing. It's nice to have a 'man cave' with all these cool tools. Up till not to long ago, my wife was getting disgusted as to how much time the lil' guy was spending hanging out in the local shooters shack and commented that he was spending to much of his money on 'that shooting stuff'. Till she came out and watched him shoot. Now SHE wants to try it. coooool. Now it's a family affair. Drag the ol' RV off to wherever to the next match, bring along the grill and some Elk steaks, and make a camping trip out of it. I'm glad we don't live in an area that is prohibative to the shooting sports, like CA, MA, HI and such. We have a lot of fun doing this stuff. As do a LOT of families. Thus, I can't bring myself to agree with folks like the OP who just see shooting as some type of destructive activity populated by greasy cretins, swilling beer and ranting about the end of the world and such. More and more people are getting into real shooting activities who never thought about it before, and are finding a whole new world opened up to them. I have never been to a match where we talked about politics beyond cursory stuff, mostly involving local and not national issues. It's kind of a tech fest at the end of the day. We are just ' shooting geeks' I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates