Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 02:23 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The instructor of my CCW course covered "brandishment" () pretty thoroughly. He stressed very heavily that a concealed weapon needs to stay concealed. Someone merely needs to see it and you could lose your right to carry forever. Scary stuff.
I was not familiar with what your CCW instructor said so I looked it up in my documents that I received when I originally applied for my concealed permit. Not there so I went online and downloaded the complete regulations from the site our local sheriffs said all people need to study from...Not there too.

I just wanted to be sure because my bud was an ex NYC Policeman and I asked him to ask one of his buds in the department. Not one heard of this ruling.
So if you can please let me know where the statement says "He stressed very heavily that a concealed weapon needs to stay concealed. Someone merely needs to see it and you could lose your right to carry forever." I will without hesitation spread the word...

Our Florida law states in a question of "May a holder of a Concealed Firearm License Legally Carry or Wear the Firearm Unconcealed (I.E., On the outside of his or her clothing)? "

Answer: "Florida law does allow citizens who obtain a license the right to carry a concealed firearm, but strickly prohibits any person from carrying a firearm openly EXCEPT in those instances perscribed by law."

So merely having a short shirt ride up when you lean forward or when you get out of your car does not apply in the State of Florida as wearing a weapon unconcealed.......

When it comes to weapons a strict attention of the actual Licensing verbiage is very important to get right the first time....

Thanks.

God Bless our Troops and Veterans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I was not familiar with what your CCW instructor said so I looked it up in my documents that I received when I originally applied for my concealed permit. Not there so I went online and downloaded the complete regulations from the site our local sheriffs said all people need to study from...Not there too.

I just wanted to be sure because my bud was an ex NYC Policeman and I asked him to ask one of his buds in the department. Not one heard of this ruling.
So if you can please let me know where the statement says "He stressed very heavily that a concealed weapon needs to stay concealed. Someone merely needs to see it and you could lose your right to carry forever." I will without hesitation spread the word...

Our Florida law states in a question of "May a holder of a Concealed Firearm License Legally Carry or Wear the Firearm Unconcealed (I.E., On the outside of his or her clothing)? "

Answer: "Florida law does allow citizens who obtain a license the right to carry a concealed firearm, but strickly prohibits any person from carrying a firearm openly EXCEPT in those instances perscribed by law."

So merely having a short shirt ride up when you lean forward or when you get out of your car does not apply in the State of Florida as wearing a weapon unconcealed.......

When it comes to weapons a strict attention of the actual Licensing verbiage is very important to get right the first time....

Thanks.

God Bless our Troops and Veterans
Well, first of all, I'm in Nevada, not Florida or New York, so I can't speak to the laws in those states, nor did I try...

In Nevada, you'll find it under NRS 202.320:
Quote:
NRS 202.320 Drawing deadly weapon in threatening manner.

1. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287, a person having, carrying or procuring from another person any dirk, dirk-knife, sword, sword cane, pistol, gun or other deadly weapon, who, in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any of such deadly weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner not in necessary self-defense, or who in any manner unlawfully uses that weapon in any fight or quarrel, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
"Rude, angry or threatening manner" is subjective. As evidenced by many people posting in the threads right here on C-D, there are a lot of people who are "threatened" by the mere presence of a firearm. If they see the gun, and they "feel" threatened, then (it could be argued) that it was "exhibited in a threatening manner." I'm not saying it's right or good; I'm saying that it's possible. And because it's possible, one should make sure that their concealed firearm stays concealed. Open carry is a different matter entirely, and is perfectly legal in most parts of Nevada.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Are you intuitively forgetful? You have repeatedly said you favor many restrictive laws, from guns to driving to others too numerous to bother with.
But I can't do anything to make them a reality, TinKnocker. I can advocate them all I want--freedom of speech--but I don't have the power to make them happen, nor would I want such a power.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and annihilate your silly post with the truth.

not ten pages earlier, you were mentioning that you would be ok with banning swimming pools. you have posted repeatedly that you are ok with banning guns. i am fairly certaint hat i remember you saying in the past that you like the idea of banning cars, etc.

you like the idea of banning everything that doesn't fit your way of life. not only does this absolutely refute your ridiculous claim that you are "thoroughly opposed to laws" (because you can't ban things without laws, smart guy), but it shows that you don't have the desire or mental capacity to look at any of these debates with an objective view.

which is it? are you incapable, or do you just not care to?

constantly, constantly you make remarks about how hobbies that you don't participate in are a waste of time, are a crutch, are [insert other condescending, ignorant remark here], while making sure we understand how holy and sanctified your personal hobbies and values are.

do you not understand how evident this is of a lack of critical thinking on your part, again either because of ignorance or apathy? do you really not understand this?
Speech is not action. I can advocate the banning of anything. Enforcement would be another issue entirely. As I said, I have neither the power, nor the desire to impose my will on others. In fact, I don't like the concept of "government" or "law" for that very reason. People trying to impose their will on others.

If you'd just GROW UP, maybe you'd take such actions on your own.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But I can't do anything to make them a reality, TinKnocker. I can advocate them all I want--freedom of speech--but I don't have the power to make them happen, nor would I want such a power.
Adding your voice in support of things is how they become a reality. If you are to be taken seriously it's going to be assumed that you want the things you advocate to become reality. When you advocate things those who do have the power often do make them happen. The old saying "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.

Why would you advocate things you did not believe in?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Speech is not action. I can advocate the banning of anything. Enforcement would be another issue entirely. As I said, I have neither the power, nor the desire to impose my will on others. In fact, I don't like the concept of "government" or "law" for that very reason. People trying to impose their will on others.

Which actions would you be talking about? He excercises his rights & freedoms & thats why you are at odds with him, because you think the rights & freedoms that are the subject of this topic should be made illegal.
But then you say that you dont like any laws because they force their will on others, after inferring that you think your will should be imposed on us.

If, it comes to pass that guns are made illegal it will be your will, even if you do not vote on the legislation. You cannot try to trivialize your efforts in that regard after hundreds of incessant posts in every gun related thread about the evils of civilian gun ownership. Well, you can, but you will not be taken seriously.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Hunh? Who said I didn't believe in the things I advocated? I simply don't have the power to make them happen, to make them a reality. Nor did I want such a power.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
But then you say that you dont like any laws because they force their will on others, after inferring that you think your will should be imposed on us.
"on your own"--that's not me imposing my will. That's you making the wise, mature choice.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
apparently i missed one:

Quote:
Putting together the rounds with the right number of grains, that's the intuitive part.
wrong again. grains have to be measured by round and desired effect. this isn't some sort of expressive art where you get to put as much in as you want and hope for a good outcome.

Quote:
But, as above, there is nothing to show that being able to do THAT operation is applicable to any other skill. Just because the chef can put together ingredients, doesn't make him a chemist. And it doesn't make the shooter a chef.
bad comparison. we are talking about one kind of math helping you learn other kinds of math, not one kind of math helping you learn how to play street hockey.

either way, you are still getting hung up on a very tangential issue here. this goes back to you "crutch" accusation, which only works in your mind because you see everything that you do not idealistically agree with as a crutch, but anything you like is more than good.

what about people that think spear fishing is a crutch?

Quote:
relying on a crutch? that's a bad thing. Why [spear] when you have two hands, two feet, and a brain in your head? (not to mention the knees, elbows, and head).
you still don't get it, but your values are not universal, and they are not the only ones out there that make sense. in fact, i am more than willing to bet that your strange, pseudo-ego-ascetic lifestyle is viewed by more than the majority as weird and nonsensical.

Quote:
Speech is not action. I can advocate the banning of anything.
but you can't advocate the banning of something and then hope that you will retain credibility when you tell us that you don't like the concept of government and that you don't like imposing your will on others. you are lying one way or the other.

Quote:
Enforcement would be another issue entirely. As I said, I have neither the power, nor the desire to impose my will on others.
yeah, you don't have any power, but if you did, you know that you would be out there trying to bend all of us to your whims–you'd be doing it to enlighten us ignorant heathens no doubt, to save us from our sorry ways, but you'd do it.

Quote:
In fact, I don't like the concept of "government" or "law" for that very reason. People trying to impose their will on others.
liar.

Quote:
what does this even mean? if i'd grow up then i'd impose my will on others? hardly. if i grew up then i'd agree with you? even less likely.

you keep forgetting what you've written, and you are now running in circles. sit down, take a deep breath, and try to calm down. you can't be pro-government and pro-ban at the same time. stop contradicting yourself and pick a side.

here is what you just said:

Quote:
Sorry, I have neither the power nor the desire to make people conform to my way of doing things. That would be like...making laws, or something...and I'm thoroughly opposed to laws. Every man must make his own decisions...be FREE to make his own decisions of what's best for him. Society and government have no right to enforce anything on him.
here are just a few examples of the contradictions that you've made just in this thread:

Quote:
I've suggested we raise the driving age to 25 before also. Also, I don't drive. I don't need to. I've walked 6 miles on a daily basis before, I've even gone as far as 25 miles, walking.
notice the qualification as to why we should raise the age limit: because tk has walked 6 miles on a daily basis before. oooooh, impressive. maybe you should become a motivational youth speaker or something and tell young people that they aren't fit to drive, and should be out there walking 6 miles a day because it fits with the tk quasi religion.

Quote:
I wouldn't advocate the literacy test, just a "common sense" test. If you don't have it, you're not permitted to do any of those things. Now, I believe that if the police stop you and search you, and you have a knife on you, they MAY charge you for having a weapon. I'm pretty sure the issues here in Florida are: no switchblades, and no blades longer than 6 inches. As a matter of fact, they also have regulations against "go karts" and other off-road vehicles.
another one. i bet that you revel in the go-kart regulations.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4
LOL! There are so many thing you don't need that you can have. Cars, junk food, television (which, in my opinion, do a lot worse to people than handguns).

Ban it all, I say! Just allow simple coverings, basic shelter, and just the right amount of nutrition...
Sounds good.
and another one. you want to ban cars, junk food, tv, guns, swimming pools, and who knows what else, yet want us to believe that you somehow thoroughly oppose laws and government? please; you insult our intelligence by vomiting this stuff up over and over.

go take another 25-mile walk and see if you can find some common sense along the side of the road. while you're out, maybe you can intuitively figure out calculus, molecular engineering, and cold fusion...

Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM

If you GREW UP, you'd make wise, rational, mature decisions on your own. Without being forced to by anyone.

You call me a liar, but when have I EVER spoken in favor of law or government? You should make the right decision because it's the right decision, not because someone forces you to.

Again, advocacy is NOT action. Talk is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates