Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
As far as, well guns can be stolen,
You still have not answered why do you want the Government to know what firearms I, or other gun owners, have?

Are you going to answer? If not - let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,482 times
I just did, if you did not understand let me clarify...we can't have special little laws for people who have guns for the right reasons, if guns are going to be out there, there is always going to be someone who wants the gun for the wrong reason...whether they want it for the wrong reason at the time of purchase or want it for the wrong reason while planning a crime. So, to make it fair to society, as we can not read into the possible intentions the person has for the gun, whether it be hunting, recreation, collection or crime. I would like them all registered.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:36 AM

As a said previously, for potentially tracing the weapon.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Well - registration of all firearms is not going to happen. If for no reason but, there are MILLIONS of unregistered firearms already - there is no way to get them all registered.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
As far as, well guns can be stolen, that's where we have the potential for good police work. The gun was stolen, ok, we would know it was stolen if it was registered yes....police then have the opportunity for investigating further into suspicious activity in the neighborhood around the time of the break-in...possibly other break-ins in the area? People who are not residents being seen driving in the area? Endless possibilities. If it is a false police report and the gun was not actually stolen, then perhaps the suspect still has the gun and if their is grounds for a search warrent maybe it will be recovered. If he dumped it, maybe he did so in a panic as possibly mentioned above. Sure, there's always the possibility people won't get caught. That doesn't mean we should not try to make laws that support we have hope for catching them.
You do know that the gun registry in Canada hasn't led to a single crime being solved, right? Not one. That's a big, fat zero.

Gun registration doesn't do anything to deter, prevent or solve crimes. All it does is give the government a list what guns can be found in what homes. Why do they need that information, if it's not going to be used for the purpose of confiscation down the road?

Regardless, I'm still trying to figure out your logic here. Your post above didn't really make a lot of sense.

Let's simplify this. I own several guns. I have a list of those guns - make, model and serial number. If any/all of those guns are ever lost or stolen, I'm going to want them back! I'll gladly hand over that list to law enforcement so they can identify my guns in the event that they're recovered.

If my guns aren't ever lost or stolen, then there's no reason for the government to have that information. If you disagree, please explain the logic behind your position.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Bottom line is - the Government has no need to know the firearms I have.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You do know that the gun registry in Canada hasn't led to a single crime being solved, right? Not one. That's a big, fat zero.
Once again, I would like to see where you found that police in Canada in the history of the nation have never used gun registry to solve a crime. I would say if anything, the difference between gun fatalities and Canada and America is a good example of how registration can prevent people from committing crimes though. Although this is from four years ago, here is a source for my opinion...if you have a more recent source or a different source that you trust more to support yours please list.http://www.guncontrol.ca/English/Home/Releases/GlobalGunEpidemicRev07.pdf (broken link) I think countries that do a better job controlling their guns, suffer less of the fatal consequences that can come from fire arms.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I think countries that do a better job controlling their guns, suffer less of the fatal consequences that can come from fire arms.
Would you favor a ban on handgun sales in the United States?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM

[quote=mb64282;10039459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post

Exactly, so why not register them? These reasons are why I'm not anti-gun, if not for these, that would only leave harm, then I'd say get rid of them...but there's the purposes you mentioned above
as previously posted, no, just not unregistered ones

Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM

472 posts, read 741,060 times
Automobile registration is hardly comparable to firearm registration. The primary purpose of automobile registration is taxation. The government wants their annual property tax, and registration & tagging is a convenient method of ensuring compliance.

Can anyone show an example of firearm registration being a major factor in crime solving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates