Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Any criminal worth their salt will file off the serial numbers which completely negates the use of registration.
Another, less known rule is home made guns do not require a serial number. Build a 1911 semi-auto pistol, AR-15 or AR-10 in your garage and you don't need to put any markings at all. The guys that do this for a hobby do recommend something because of the lack of serial number knowledge so most use their NRA number.

So people don't get confused, you aren't building an entire gun. You just use a bench top mill to create the receiver. According to the BATF, that is the gun and that is the part that has the serial number when you buy retail. The rest of the parts are purchased and attached to the receiver.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Assumptions dont hold up in court any more than you BS holds up here.
A dealer own the cars on his lot, UNREGISTERED. If you give him money you can take your car away UNREGISTERED. There are likely statutes regarding "junk" in public view, but you can certainly park a privately owned unregistered vehicle on private property. As noted above, car dealers do it every day, as well as repair shops ect ect.
Dealer plates.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Even tho my earlier posts may have given the idea I disagree, I don't. To register all handguns is simply silly. Any criminal worth their salt will file off the serial numbers which completely negates the use of registration.

Why bother.
Part of the process would be firing a round from the gun and recording the ballistics data on it.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!
The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
You know, you are right. What real purpose do handguns serve other than to shoot intruders and protect your home?? They are not used for hunting or skeet shooting..just carried for personal protection and in the wrong hands can be more than lethal.

So, how do we protect our homes? I have a Pit Bull who although has a bad reputation with the public in general, would let ANYONE enter my home. She is a real people doggie and wouldn't bite anyone contrary to what you hear about them, they are absolute cream puffs if not trained to fight. I would get a Tazer but can you do that legally? AND..,if you fire the Tazer one time, can you unplug it from the victim and fire it at him again or do you need two of them? What happens to you while the Police are coming to arrest your intruder and the intruder wakes up from being Tazed?? What do you hit him with again?? Will he have time to kill you or hurt your family in the meantime? It takes the Police at least 20 minutes to get to our area from downtown, sometimes longer..have seen it happen.

Do we put bars on our doors and windows and install big alarm systems? We had an alarm system but everytime the cat jumped on the furniture, or the counter in the middle of the night the alarm would go off, police would come..got to be a nuisance. I don't want to look out my windows through bars and no amount of vandalism or intrusion will ever make me go to that length.

So.............what to do? First and foremost, the Police need to make their presence known more than they do in the "suburbia" parts of our town. Just this past week some idiot kids smashed every mailbox on my sister's street including hers and broke into a bunch of cars. They get away with this crap because the cops are so concerned about the downtown areas.

In Southington last week some kids put hay bales across a main road and my friend's Mother ran into them in the dark while it was raining and had to pull into a gas station to dislodge the hay bale. She is 68 years old. They also put a huge pole across a road and caused an accident. Where are the cops? Why don't they patrol more than the city? Southington is NOT suppose to be as bad as where I live yet this goes on there???

Anyhow, if we could replace having the need to have a gun with the presence of more Police Officers in the more rural/suburban areas then perhaps this kind of stuff wouldn't happen to begin with.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
You know, you are right. What real purpose do handguns serve other than to shoot intruders and protect your home?? They are not used for hunting or skeet shooting..just carried for personal protection and in the wrong hands can be more than lethal.

No, you are wrong Pam. Handguns are most certainly used for hunting & many competition events as well as being quite good for personal protection. I'm not sure how anything can be "More than lethal" but guns are not alone in being dangerous in the wrong hands. However their good vastly outweighs any perceived harm.

Quote:
So, how do we protect our homes? I have a Pit Bull who although has a bad reputation with the public in general, would let ANYONE enter my home. She is a real people doggie and wouldn't bite anyone contrary to what you hear about them, they are absolute cream puffs if not trained to fight.
I'm not remotely against pitbulls, but you are mistaken if you believe they are cream puffs if not trained to fight. Any dog can & will bite, its the owners responsability to ensure their dog hurts no one. I'm sure you are a very responsible dog owner. I wouldn't want to ban or restrict your dog because of the actions of irresponsible people. Why would you want to ban or restrict firearms from responsible people because of the actions of the irresponsible or criminals?

Quote:
I would get a Tazer but can you do that legally? AND..,if you fire the Tazer one time, can you unplug it from the victim and fire it at him again or do you need two of them? What happens to you while the Police are coming to arrest your intruder and the intruder wakes up from being Tazed?? What do you hit him with again?? Will he have time to kill you or hurt your family in the meantime? It takes the Police at least 20 minutes to get to our area from downtown, sometimes longer..have seen it happen.
I'm unsure about the laws regarding Tazers here in CT. But I wouldn't bet my families saftey on an electronic gizmo anyway.

Quote:
Do we put bars on our doors and windows and install big alarm systems? We had an alarm system but everytime the cat jumped on the furniture, or the counter in the middle of the night the alarm would go off, police would come..got to be a nuisance. I don't want to look out my windows through bars and no amount of vandalism or intrusion will ever make me go to that length.
Sounds like you need a better alarm. One that secures entry into the home wouldn't go off because your cat was up & about. Thats a problem with motion detectors. You can instal cameras if you want that record activity & come on only once peremeter security has been breached.

Quote:
So.............what to do? First and foremost, the Police need to make their presence known more than they do in the "suburbia" parts of our town. Just this past week some idiot kids smashed every mailbox on my sister's street including hers and broke into a bunch of cars. They get away with this crap because the cops are so concerned about the downtown areas.
Whats that got to do with handguns? Sounds like they need a neighborhood watch.

Quote:
In Southington last week some kids put hay bales across a main road and my friend's Mother ran into them in the dark while it was raining and had to pull into a gas station to dislodge the hay bale. She is 68 years old. They also put a huge pole across a road and caused an accident. Where are the cops? Why don't they patrol more than the city? Southington is NOT suppose to be as bad as where I live yet this goes on there???
See, thats the misconception. Police dont prevent crime. They respond to reports of it. They have no duty to protect you, only to clean up the mess & solve crime after it happens. Only YOU can protect yourself & your family. Believe it or not guns perform that task very well in trained competent hands. They cannot prevent running into obstacles placed in the road though.

Quote:
Anyhow, if we could replace having the need to have a gun with the presence of more Police Officers in the more rural/suburban areas then perhaps this kind of stuff wouldn't happen to begin with.
Nope. More cops on patrol would help them spot the juvenile pranks you mention but will do nothing to lessen a persons need to take their saftey seriously.

But at any rate, any arguement that a gun is only good for killing is indisputably wrong. I'v been useing guns for some 30 years now & never shot or killed anyone.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 AM

So it obviously hasn't done you any good. Pointless.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Dealer plates.

Wrong again. A dealer generally has a few dealer plates to DRIVE unregistered vehicles on the street. Not for each car in inventory.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Part of the process would be firing a round from the gun and recording the ballistics data on it.
Any clue about the relevance of data gained by such things?
Several states already require this be done before a gun is sold in their state. In the end its pretty useless data. theres a multitude of things that change over time in a gun & theres a multitude of ways to alter the imprint a guns barrel leaves on a bullet. Plus bullets generally get very deformed when going thru things.

But, I thought you were against Gov't intrusion anyway? Not very consistant are you? Other than consistantly wrong & consistantly incosistant.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
So it obviously hasn't done you any good. Pointless.

But you are wrong again.
They give me hours of quality time spent with my family & friends, put food on my table, help teach my children responsibility & a hundred other things you just seem incapable of comprehending. I simply enjoy shooting, not only guns either. I have a multitude of recreational activities of which shooting is just one. The only pointless thing I'v seen in this thread are your posts.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Any clue about the relevance of data gained by such things?
Several states already require this be done before a gun is sold in their state. In the end its pretty useless data. theres a multitude of things that change over time in a gun & theres a multitude of ways to alter the imprint a guns barrel leaves on a bullet. Plus bullets generally get very deformed when going thru things.

But, I thought you were against Gov't intrusion anyway? Not very consistent are you? Other than consistently wrong & consisteantly inconsistent.
I'm only suggesting what would be the necessary steps to take if you registered a gun. So in case it was used in a crime, they could find out what gun it came from. Like a set of fingerprints, almost. Then, they would either trace the shooter back to your home, or have another crime to hang on the individual who stole your gun from your home to use in a crime.

I wasn't the one calling for registration in the first place. When guns don't exist, no registration is necessary.

And the only pointless thing I've seen here...is YOU and your "friends".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates