Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Blowen smoke again, eh Kramer?
Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Did you hear of the woman who shot her husband over a game of bridge?

People are irrational...and all irrational people are capable of things they would not normally do in a fit of passion. You ever hear of a crime of passion?
people commit more crimes each day WITHOUT guns than with
people kill more people each day WITHOUT guns than with
wives and husbands do insane things everyday WITHOUT guns

you're right. people are irrational, just like some of your arguments.
a woman stands MUCH LESS of a fighting chance against a man in 90% of confrontations, a gun evens those odds and increases her chance for survival

maybe in the fairy tale world you live in, you are mister tough guy and can use your chuck norris-esque self defense techniques to beat up a bad guy, but id prefer to have 11 rounds of JHP hydrashock .45 on my side just in case

i believe it was an ex-marine that said he carried a gun not because he was afraid, but because it allowed him to be unafraid, etc

of course you'll say that i'm scared of the dark too, because on my nightstand, next to my glock is an innova rechargeable flashlight

try this on for size, then take your "im a badass and don't need anything but thunder and lightning to protect me" attitude and walk with it

"I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate"

or perhaps

"I don't carry a gun because i want to kill someone, I carry a gun because I want to die when I'm old and ready, not tomorrow on a sidewalk somewhere"

Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically that would mean that we should also put outlaw marshal arts. Handguns are meant as self defense and for sporting use as the vast majority are. kind of like a car is meant for transportation but some use them recklessly has weapons by their actual use.You can go thru a whole book that would Ravel they encyclopedia in the misuse of things by humans since time began.What we really see is that creating a law does not solve the problems which is why we have laws and penalty in the misuse of things.Not wrong with owning a handgun;using it in self defense or suing it for target shooting same as the bow
and arrow
re post

Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 AM

dare the government to make owning guns, especially handguns illegal, not only will it NEVER happen
but think of all the people that conceal carry legally, and the government gets paid for that..
then think of how many of us will write bills-of-sale for all our guns and keep those in the safe and bury the guns in the woods until the feds are done with the disarming of the victims of the United Communist Nation of America... we'll all become criminals, and we'll be the people the rest of you depend on

Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
people commit more crimes each day WITHOUT guns than with
people kill more people each day WITHOUT guns than with
wives and husbands do insane things everyday WITHOUT guns

you're right. people are irrational, just like some of your arguments.
a woman stands MUCH LESS of a fighting chance against a man in 90% of confrontations, a gun evens those odds and increases her chance for survival

maybe in the fairy tale world you live in, you are mister tough guy and can use your chuck norris-esque self defense techniques to beat up a bad guy, but id prefer to have 11 rounds of JHP hydrashock .45 on my side just in case

i believe it was an ex-marine that said he carried a gun not because he was afraid, but because it allowed him to be unafraid, etc

of course you'll say that i'm scared of the dark too, because on my nightstand, next to my glock is an innova rechargeable flashlight

try this on for size, then take your "im a badass and don't need anything but thunder and lightning to protect me" attitude and walk with it

"I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate"

or perhaps

"I don't carry a gun because i want to kill someone, I carry a gun because I want to die when I'm old and ready, not tomorrow on a sidewalk somewhere"
Again...did you hear about the woman who shot her husband over a game of bridge? There will be no guns in my home--because I do not want them to be used against me. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Again...did you hear about the woman who shot her husband over a game of bridge? There will be no guns in my home--because I do not want them to be used against me. Thanks.
Thats your choice, just don't expect me to give up mine.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:34 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety
I don't know. It's hard to carry a rifle or a shotgun in your pocketbook. And where would that Plaxico Burress guy be if he tried to put a shotgun down his sweat pants?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Cool "You have much to yet learn, grasshopper!"

Quote:
Blowen smoke again, eh Kramer?
Yeah, he does that, doesn't he? Quite predictable. He's a v. dangerous fellow, in his mind.

So TK: Remember that line from one of the Superman movies where he says "Sorry, Mr. President. I've been away! Well, I'm baaaacckkkkkk!" Like a sunny day!

TK, I'd sorta forgotten your "special" line of reasoning. It all came slithering back though, when I saw those lines above of yours about not needing a gun, you know, including you knowing "some women who could kick your ass" etc. etc. How nice for their self-confidence. The relevance of this silliness to the OP is, as usual with your personal brand of reasoning, unchanged and still illogical.

No-one on this planet,: Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, David Carradine, Wonder Woman or the Holy Ghost, can take me on if they are distant enough so I can whip out my ParaOrd .45 auto. Double-Tap; game's over for them. Not that I would want to; I don't go around looking for opportunities to fight with someone, and as "grasshopper" (Kwai Chang Caine") used to say, "it is better to seek the peaceful road than to seek discord.".

Of course, if really surprised in a well-planned attack, I would be at their mercy, almost. My personal 4 years of Kyokushinkai training (when I was a spry 28 yrs old...) might briefly help my 62 yr old arthritic body to deliver a well-placed blow or two before I go down, but if I have about 0.5 seconds to reach for the Para, the fights not so one-sided then, is it? And I don't even have to get up off the ground!

There are those out there (I met five of them in two instances) that had other less gentle ideas. They mistakenly assumed I was alone and would be unable to effectively deal with them. All that happened was that both mine and their blood pressures and heart rates rose. Of course, they had a decision to make, and thankfully for all, they all made the right one. And avoided perforation.

Just curious:
for all your bravado: exactly how many potential or actual street brawls have been forced on you? How many times have you been surprised by the nefarious attentions of criminals? In my last career position as a field engineer for an auto manufacturer, I travelled extensively, spending, in 2004, over 200 nights in hotels, (I know; that's just plain unnatural!) in a colorful variety of locations, but mostly NOT in the high-end Hiltons and Marriotts downtown. More like out on Interstates, near truck dealers, etc. You know, where the low-lifes and druggie transients can and do hang out. I was not about to cower up in my room, ordering hotel cheese sandwiches for dinner 200 night a year!

Nor was I going to dress up in my Bruce Lee costume, and pounce out of the elevator with a loud "Kai-eeeeee---yaHH!" call, working my way stealthily across the hotel lobby towards the door, scanning everyone as though they all wanted to attack me!

That how you do it?

To suggest for a moment that we should all rely on martial arts because you feel comfortable with it is blatently and patently screwball. I still maintain that if, down at the local bar & grill, you really didn't like the cut of my jib, or the tone in my voice, or my personal brand of liberal/conservativism and gun rights advocacy, and you decided to "teach this noisy young'n a lesson" down there in your swamp country, you'd probably lose. All that's necessary for me is a simple reach for my nicely handy .45 Para and you'd have the same decision to make as those five others. (but be quick about it, 'cause I've already got the drop on you!)

But then, I forgot: you do apparently have those very capable women hanging around you, as Bruce Lee did, to defend you, right?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:59 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Quote:
Don't-chah just love anedotal evidence as "proof" of anything? Did you hear about the woman who was abducted and...

a) woke up in a hotel room, in a tub of ice water, her kidney missing?

b) woke up in an alien spacecraft, tied down to a stainless-steel table, with electrodes attached to her naked, glistening body? (sorry, but that's what she said!)

c) fought off five drunken assailants single-handed, using only her paper napkin, rolled into a handy spear-point?

d) disarmed and then disabled that entire North Korean Army platoon with her K-rations? (she just offered them that stuff to eat, and they all fell over, gagging...)

e) was brutally and repeatedly gang-raped because, in her town, they didn't allow concealed carry?

Pick one. Pick the most likely one. Then review your own home firearms safety rules, as well as the necessary training for each member so as to avoid stupid firearms mistakes and accidents.

But frankly, I really don't want you to carry or use a firearm if they make you so jittery. I might get shot by you as I walked up to your Everglades home just delivering a FedEx package. (Hmmm. Maybe you're afraid of your own reactions if someone placed a firearm in your hands. An old psychological war-wound perhaps?)

Just don't try to impose your fears and incompetence on others.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Thats your choice, just don't expect me to give up mine.
i said that to him once, no reply
he cannot reply to simple logic, rather gets over-involved and tries to overthink, even when the previous issue is clearly addressed

it sucks that there are no guns and angry women in some peoples houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates