Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I had a 38 S&W air weight and really liked it, but I lost it(long story). I was thinking about something I can shove in my pocket, like a 25 cal or 32, you know something small.
Check out North American Arms, the NAA Guardians, in 380 or 32 NAA. The 25ACP and 25 NAA guardian are insufficient for effective self defense; it's rumored that if you actually DO shoot someone with a 25 ACP, and they find out about it, they'll be really REALLY mad at you!

North American Arms

The 32 NAA is quite the little hot-rod, but you probably won't find ammo all that easily. The 380 is a short 9mm (in europe it's called the 9mm Kurz or 9mm "short") and has barely enough diameter to deliver a good thump if you hit the target in the right spot.

Of course, you can always buy 250 rounds of the hotrod .32 NAA stuff, use about 240 rounds of it in practice (20/month!) and set aside the remainder for defence use. once a year. Over time, you'll collect the unused 10 rounds per year for self-defence and you'll have lots for that eventual fight down in the parking lot once every twenty-five years!

Then find someone who reloads in your area (maybe you do already?) and set up to prepare some general practice ammo with the spent brass. Don't (DO NOT!) throw out spent brass these days; you can always sell it on gunbroker.com or such. The stuff's getting real valuable!

The enduring problem with autos is that they always seem to jam (stovepipe or fail to pick up a round) when you really need them. Hence you never see big autos used by wildlife guys who track bears or cougars; always a revolver. Mine is a 454 Casull, which,

Quote:
BTW, NV, is a bit of a overly high pressure round IMHO. The bigger, lower pressure 500 S&W might be better in the TC Contender. The Casull round factory loads run at (Oh My God!) 65,000 psi. I load mine to about 10% less, and the big animals still fall over, quite dead. It's also a bullet thing, as you well know.
But... if you use factory recommended, factory-loaded ammo brands and bullet styles, you should have not problems*. The NAA guns are quality, unlike many of the cheap Euro imports.

Also check out Kahr Arms. The super-Compact P380 is another good one. The prices lsited on the linked site are suggested retail. you can find them for about $75 less in reality.

Kahr Arms / .380 ACP Models / P380 Series

Or, get one of their beautiful Thompson sub-machine guns.

Tommy Gun Shop / Parts (http://www.tommygunshop.com/partsindex.asp - broken link)

Hee hee hee!

(Carrying one of those, no-one will EVER attack you on the street!)

And remember: for several reasons, you should ALWAYS use factory loads for self-defence anyhow. Trust me! Do NOT trust the perp's defence lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Check out North American Arms, the NAA Guardians, in 380 or 32 NAA. The 25ACP and 25 NAA guardian are insufficient for effective self defense; it's rumored that if you actually DO shoot someone with a 25 ACP, and they find out about it, they'll be really REALLY mad at you!

North American Arms

The 32 NAA is quite the little hot-rod, but you probably won't find ammo all that easily. The 380 is a short 9mm (in europe it's called the 9mm Kurz or 9mm "short") and has barely enough diameter to deliver a good thump if you hit the target in the right spot.

Of course, you can always buy 250 rounds of the hotrod .32 NAA stuff, use about 240 rounds of it in practice (20/month!) and set aside the remainder for defence use. once a year. Over time, you'll collect the unused 10 rounds per year for self-defence and you'll have lots for that eventual fight down in the parking lot once every twenty-five years!

Then find someone who reloads in your area (maybe you do already?) and set up to prepare some general practice ammo with the spent brass. Don't (DO NOT!) throw out spent brass these days; you can always sell it on gunbroker.com or such. The stuff's getting real valuable!

The enduring problem with autos is that they always seem to jam (stovepipe or fail to pick up a round) when you really need them. Hence you never see big autos used by wildlife guys who track bears or cougars; always a revolver. Mine is a 454 Casull, which,

But... if you use factory recommended, factory-loaded ammo brands and bullet styles, you should have not problems*. The NAA guns are quality, unlike many of the cheap Euro imports.

Also check out Kahr Arms. The super-Compact P380 is another good one. The prices lsited on the linked site are suggested retail. you can find them for about $75 less in reality.

Kahr Arms / .380 ACP Models / P380 Series

Or, get one of their beautiful Thompson sub-machine guns.

Tommy Gun Shop / Parts (http://www.tommygunshop.com/partsindex.asp - broken link)

Hee hee hee!

(Carrying one of those, no-one will EVER attack you on the street!)

And remember: for several reasons, you should ALWAYS use factory loads for self-defence anyhow. Trust me! Do NOT trust the perp's defence lawyers.
I never heard much good about 25's or 32s for that matter. I was just thinking small. Also, I never much trusted semi's and was told you should never use reloads in them???. How dependable are the compact 380's and how about price? I really like the dependebility of a revolver but most are bulky and heavy for carry weapons. BTW, Thanks for the links.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:56 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
JMO but a decent auto is every bit as reliable as a revolver. Lotsa things can jam up a wheel gun that wont faze an auto. I hear alot of praise for Rugers LCP & Kel Tecks little .380.
I have been carrying a Kel Tek P11 9MM for a few months now & like it, its very reliable & puts 11 rounds in a very concealable package. They make a single stack 9MM as well that might suit your needs. Both are double action only but neither is truly pocket sized.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
I had a 38 S&W air weight and really liked it, but I lost it(long story). I was thinking about something I can shove in my pocket, like a 25 cal or 32, you know something small.
Kel-Tec .32 or .380 - here's the .32:

Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,068 times
I like it, whats the price range?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
i like it, whats the price range?
225-250

Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
JMO but a decent auto is every bit as reliable as a revolver. Lotsa things can jam up a wheel gun that wont faze an auto. I hear alot of praise for Rugers LCP & Kel Tecks little .380.
I have been carrying a Kel Tek P11 9MM for a few months now & like it, its very reliable & puts 11 rounds in a very concealable package. They make a single stack 9MM as well that might suit your needs. Both are double action only but neither is truly pocket sized.
Oh Tin, you opened the door for a whole new debate on purpose and functional application. I carry an auto quite a bit, my 1911, and have much experience wih Glocks, Sigs, Berreta's, HK etc. All in all , however, I have found the good ol' revolver to be the best choice when simplicity of operation and general reliability are the key factors. Now, as to what ties up a revolver that won't phase and auto, maybe your talking about muddy environments and such? Things that might jam cylinder rotation timing, latch lock etc? I'm curious, me is intriuged to discuss this. Seems to me the same factors that may cause a revolver to fail, would also be detimental to the function of an autoloader. Anything with moving parts is going to be subject to failure, what factors do you consider to be harder on a wheel gun?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM

898 posts, read 1,403,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I would like to commend the municipal governments of DC, Chicago and San Francisco for outlawing handguns. I find these types of firearms completely unnecessary. Hunters do not hunt with handguns. One can always keep a rifle or shotgun as protection if you fear for your safety...eventhough it is much more likely that the gun will be taken from you and used against you! Don't think that a home invasion robber will give you time to load up your gun! Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen). Additionally, I do not see the desire to even have fun with these types of weapons. BANG! The glass bottle breaks! WHO-HO! So much fun at the expense of our society!

The gun lobby makes the claim that most guns used by criminals are bought illegally. However, trace the history of that gun to its very beginning...I doubt street thugs are manufacturing their own guns...some may be smuggled in but these I am sure would be harder to get.

Let's not get into the second admendment...That is for another forum.

I know this will not reduce the homicide rate too much, but even if it is a little, I feel that it is worth it. Why should people have to suffer just so some yahoos can shut up empty beer bottles?
I'd like to commend these aforementioned cities for having some of the highest murder rates in the nation!

Liberty is the prime goal of the United States, and without the ability to defend ourselves, we have only what liberties the powers that be wish us to have. The advantage we gain in being armed is that we can defend our liberties from the evil blackguards in government. Why would you deny me my right to defend myself? You have no right to deny me my 2nd amendment rights because it makes you "feel better."

I really fail to understand why you single out handguns, though. Are you just the typical ignorant hoplophobe who knows nothing about guns? Because long guns (rifles and shotguns) are considerably more powerful than hand guns.

Second of all, if someone breaks into my house, you can rest assured that I won't be taking any time to "load up" my gun. Any weapon to which I entrust my self-defense is going to be loaded at all times. With most burglars, the mere sound sound of cocking a round into the chamber of a 12-gauge is enough to send them running.

My guess is you have an irrational fear of weapons (hoplophobia) and advise you to seek professional help.

The other statements are just plain ludicrous.
Quote:
Let alone the fact that child will suffer from accidents from these firearms because of their parents irresponsiblity (this will always happen)
Where the heck do you get that from? You make it seem like any child raised in a house where weapons are present is going to go on a rampage with the gun and shoot himself up. Do you even realize how stupid this sounds? Are you seriously gullible enough to believe that?

Shooting has been a sport for many years. Ever shot skeet? Anyway... I can't see how anyone could be entertained by football. People get bones broken playing that sport, not my style. Also not my business to try and regulate it in any way.

America is the land of the free. Without the ability to defend ourselves, we are not free. Trusting the government to defend you... actually, trusting the government, period, is downright insane.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh Tin, you opened the door for a whole new debate on purpose and functional application. I carry an auto quite a bit, my 1911, and have much experience wih Glocks, Sigs, Berreta's, HK etc. All in all , however, I have found the good ol' revolver to be the best choice when simplicity of operation and general reliability are the key factors. Now, as to what ties up a revolver that won't phase and auto, maybe your talking about muddy environments and such? Things that might jam cylinder rotation timing, latch lock etc? I'm curious, me is intriuged to discuss this. Seems to me the same factors that may cause a revolver to fail, would also be detimental to the function of an autoloader. Anything with moving parts is going to be subject to failure, what factors do you consider to be harder on a wheel gun?

A good double action revolver is certainly a very safe, easy to master reliable gun. For me & many people they will serve fine. Revolvers are simply much more complex machines than most auto's and auto's usually have less nooks & crannies for crap to get into. All that needs to happen when you squeeze the trigger is for the hammer to come back & fall, no cylinder to turn & lock up, no timing issues ect. When stuff does get in them it usually doesnt matter because things are sliding back & forth under recoil instead of rotating under finger pressure.

Alot of my feeling is due to todays tendency to want "pocket" guns. In a holster a gun is protected. Drop it in your pocket & all sorts of crap can get in it.

I can shoot my Beretta, Kel Tek, S&W model 39 or Colt 03 32ACP many hundreds of rounds without issue. Usually I clean them before they ever get that dirty but I recently got 642 rounds thru the Beretta before is started stove piping.
My revolvers on the other hand require much more maintanence especially if I'm shooting lead.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
A good double action revolver is certainly a very safe, easy to master reliable gun. For me & many people they will serve fine. Revolvers are simply much more complex machines than most auto's and auto's usually have less nooks & crannies for crap to get into. All that needs to happen when you squeeze the trigger is for the hammer to come back & fall, no cylinder to turn & lock up, no timing issues ect. When stuff does get in them it usually doesnt matter because things are sliding back & forth under recoil instead of rotating under finger pressure.

Alot of my feeling is due to todays tendency to want "pocket" guns. In a holster a gun is protected. Drop it in your pocket & all sorts of crap can get in it.

I can shoot my Beretta, Kel Tek, S&W model 39 or Colt 03 32ACP many hundreds of rounds without issue. Usually I clean them before they ever get that dirty but I recently got 642 rounds thru the Beretta before is started stove piping.
My revolvers on the other hand require much more maintanence especially if I'm shooting lead.
I have had range sessions with my 1911 where I have fired over 600 rounds without a hicup, The thing is built to be a mixture of competition grade accuracy with duty reliability. I didn't get too carried away tightening things up. The trigger is not for a novice shooter, however. I see what you mean about the pocket issue. Lol, dropping your Chiefs Special in a pocket full of change could cause some problems. I don't ever carry in a pocket, but many folks do. I am fortunate, in that I can carry most anything in my truck I want to around here, and nobody bats an eye. It's common to see people driving around with an AR, 30/30, etc. I don't usually sweat concealed carry here in the valley, but when we head to the city, I have favored my K frame model 10 lately. In winter I usually pack it under my jacket in a shoulder holster, summer months see it riding in an inside the waistband Bianchi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates