Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 PM

408 posts, read 723,654 times

Advertisements

Since I've never really had it, I've always known the value of a dollar. So most of this recession talk kinda sails over my head. What I can say is I've noticed alot of people who suddenly have to pinch pennies and/or move to that borderline neighborhood have changed their outlook on the world around them. I think it's kinda sad to say that I'm glad people have been (in a way) forced to stop and take look at what they have to realize how fortunate they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Not really, I've always treated people politely and that hasn't changed...I never go out of my way to be a giant jerk. I wouldn't say I'm a very nice person in the relation to generosity, I take care of the people I know because I know their stories and their situations. I give noting to people I don't know as handouts.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I spent plenty of years working as a waitress and so on. I was raised by a waitress and taxi driver. I have never had the "entitlement" mentality of a comfortable person who looks down on someone who works at a pink-collar job.
It's unfortunate if people have to lose a lot to be empathetic with people who already don't have much/enough, but hey, whatever gets you there.
As for panhandlers, I've often given a dollar just because... but still prefer to give a big donation to a reputable organization that helps.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Can't say that it has. I do think 9-11 affected me in a few positive ways, but so far I don't "feel" any different than I did several months ago.

And quite frankly, I don't know what the recession has to do with bad service. Where restaurant servers are concerned, I tip accordingly for service, not from compassion. We definitely are in the same boat with many others, having to make adjustments and some sacrifices that are forced on all of us. But I'm really the same ol' ornery broad.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,627 times
I was never an a****** to begin with so no, it hasn't changed anything for me. I was raised to treat people with respect and I've always been like that.

I will say, however, that I work in the service industry dealing with guest relations, and I personally think people are just as nasty as ever.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i agree this one did not touch me but i have some bad times in 93. i remember well and the spiritual growth. i wont forget thanks for the reminder.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 AM

218 posts, read 755,628 times
I'm still polite ,even to telemarketers. I always tipped generously and even more depending on how they go about their job. Panhandlers, i don't see to much anymore but I always took care of the ones who were obvious needy, never to those ones who obviously are drunks or the younger ones who are obvious able-bodied and just derelicts.
BUT I am much less tolerant of lousy service, bad business and bad additude. Hard earned money and tips will NOT go to a business or worker who obviously don't care. Having a bad stressful day and slow kitchen is one thing, most understandable. I can tell.
But bad 'tude is another. Rather that somebody who wants to do that job well has it! There are many people waiting for an opportunity while these dorks sit and chat on their phones on company time ignoring customers. Get them out of there already. no sympathy from me for those types and we all see them... we only enable this behavor when we don't speak up about it too. walking right out sends the message. Be assured another place wants & appreciates your business more.Since 911, toleration of people taking others for granted --------big fat O

Old 08-21-2009, 08:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I have always worked with the public and have always tried to be as polite as possible to everyone in the workforce regardless of their position. While that hasn't changed I would say that at work I am getting less tolerant in my dealings with the public. It seems that for some the economy is an excuse to lash out at people unjustly and generally just be hateful and bitter. The whole "I'm miserable so everyone so everyone else should be miserable too" line of thinking. I am glad to read that some people are actually becoming less intolerant which I find refreshing because it sure hasn't been my experience working with the public lately.

There are times when I would just like to say "I may be working but that doesn't mean I am not experiencing hardship right along with everyone else."

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
As for panhandlers, I've often given a dollar just because... but still prefer to give a big donation to a reputable organization that helps.
I have personally known too many people in my life who were in genuine need of some real help, and went to the "reputable organizations" and got nothing.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:40 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,318 times
Hasn't changed me one way or another. Would be great if economic hardships or national tragedies made people kinder towards their fellow man. Unfortunately I just haven't seen much evidence of that at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates