Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times

Advertisements

I think it's made me kinder because - there are not tons of people in stores, nobody hardly tailgates me to death on the freeway, other people have become more considerate and less pushy as well.

I was always friendly and kind to cashiers, servers, people who helped me in stores and other places. It was the hundreds of pushy, rude people everywhere that made me mad, rude and sometimes belligerent in defense because there was no other way to be at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 AM

436 posts, read 908,506 times
I think it can bring out the worst in people as it triggers survival interdicts of screw over the other person before they ********* over. I see more crime burglaries are on the rise as people get desperate.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,522 times
I have always prided myself on being courteous and generous and that hasn't really changed. But in my line of work I spend all day looking at peoples bank statements, income and credit and used to constantly look down on those with issues without knowing the stories behind them. I automatically assumed they were selfish and irresponisble deadbeats no matter how nice they were to deal with. Now, being in my own situation I have had a rude awakening to the fact that I don't care who you are, how much you have and how well you have everything mapped out, anything can happen and knock you on your butt. So yes, in light of everything in this economy and the world today, I have learned to be a lot less judgemental.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Cash in the bank is you're best friend.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:46 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,269 times
I think that is lovely that you try to be more considerate, personally I think it goes both ways, people get really worked up about this stuff, money brings out the worst in people or the best. Some people do get down right dirty and will do anything for a buck, others feel an inclination to share more and value what they have more. I always liked the saying, 'everybody worries about money, the rich worry how to keep it, the poor worry how to get it' personally I don't think I worry enough...I'm still young and I do have a plan but really even at 23 I need to be saving much more than I do. There might not be anything for us to retire on, social security may not be what it is, I know they were working on it, but I think our generation should pretend like we won't have it.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 AM

You must not live in LA as it is dog eat dog here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates