Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I disagree. First , because an overweight person already has little control left since their hunger is always present. In order to not feel hungry all the time, they would have to lose weight. In order to lose weight, they need to stop eating less. This is a very big obstacle to someone who is hungry all the time.
that is why it is called self control
Quote:
If overweight people were given the right foods to eat, it wouldn't matter if they overate to satisfy their hunger, they would still lose weight. Yes, thats correct, they would STILL lose weight. But as long as they are eating the wrong foods, they will always remain fat. Because they are taking huge amounts of foods that have been chemically processed that make people fat, so they not only remain fat, but they gain more weight.
no matter what else is said on the subject, chemicals and processed and all that, fat is still mainly an issue of CALORIES, if you eat 2000 surplus calories u will gain a lb of fat, that has nothing to do with whether its broccoli or cheese.
Quote:
The first step would be giving them only healthy food options, then once they have lost some weight, they will have more energy. So with the added energy they get to walk more and even go to the gym for 15 minutes or so. Once they lose more weight, they will eat less. Until they are finally eating normally. The right foods.
i agree people need to exercise more, these are adults we are talking about or kids? because i expect adults to do these things on their own, if they refuse, then they are just lazy slobs in my book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post

no matter what else is said on the subject, chemicals and processed and all that, fat is still mainly an issue of CALORIES, if you eat 2000 surplus calories u will gain a lb of fat, that has nothing to do with whether its broccoli or cheese.
It does matter what you eat. There is a big difference between eating brocolli or cheese. If all you do is eat brocolli, you can overeat all you want, you will surely lose weight (or die) if you are obese. If all you do is eat cheese, you will get sick and gain weight. Some foods do not contain fat, so you can only get fat if the calories accumulate in your body. But that wouldn't be the case if you eat brocolli because you would have to eat a ton of brocolli in order to get fat on it.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
But the companies that sell foods , instead of adding sugar to their item, are making everyone fat with their high fructose corn syrup. I subscribe to a magazine that has natural solutions to health problems . They do research on the food people eat and what helps and what corrupts the body. They have discovered that items with high fructose corn syrup (almost everything) make a person fat because it stops the natural process where the stomach tells the brain that its full, so the person continues eating till they have consumed a large amount of food.

They need to stop being cheap and start adding sugar to products instead of that disgusting corn syrup.
Maybe, maybe not. I was quite overweight in my younger days when sugar was the prevalent ingredient. I realize now that my waning desire for soft drinks and whatnot coincided with the introduction of fake stuff like HFCS. After having sampled some Pepsi Throwback this past spring, i'm pretty sure it's safe to say i would still be overweight had these artificial ingredients not been introduced.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
How about Fighting Obeisance---to the food ads on TV.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I was quite overweight in my younger days when sugar was the prevalent ingredient. I realize now that my waning desire for soft drinks and whatnot coincided with the introduction of fake stuff like HFCS. After having sampled some Pepsi Throwback this past spring, i'm pretty sure it's safe to say i would still be overweight had these artificial ingredients not been introduced.
i tried MD throwback, and i didnt notice much difference

Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Well congratulations on your weight loss. But maybe you were overweight simply because of other reasons. I'm preety sure that some people have health problems that make them obese. How did you manage to lose the weight?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Well congratulations on your weight loss. But maybe you were overweight simply because of other reasons. I'm pretty sure that some people have health problems that make them obese. How did you manage to lose the weight?
those health problem obese people represent a very small percentage

Old 09-11-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
those health problem obese people represent a very small percentage
Thats what I'm saying though. There must be another reason people get overweight. I can understand people who have been overweight all their lives probably had parents who were also overweight and their diet was very fattening. Add to that the percentage of people that consume the HFCS on massive amounts of like foods, and the nation has become one of the fattest in the world.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 AM

its a very simple equation-
people are more sedentary and ingest more calories.
i am 6'1 when i got out of the marines i weighed about 180, over the next 5 years i went up to 240, most of that was just from going from a heavily active lifestyle to a low to moderate one, but my caloric intake remained roughly the same. i don't drink and i don't eat junkfood. but i am a meat and potatoes kinda guy.
since then i've cut down on consumption, and walk a few times a week and am down to 200. I am fairly confident most obese people have/had similar lifestyles to me in not that they are not active enough and slowly add up in calories

Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
its a very simple equation-
people are more sedentary and ingest more calories.
i am 6'1 when i got out of the marines i weighed about 180, over the next 5 years i went up to 240, most of that was just from going from a heavily active lifestyle to a low to moderate one, but my caloric intake remained roughly the same. i don't drink and i don't eat junkfood. but i am a meat and potatoes kinda guy.
since then i've cut down on consumption, and walk a few times a week and am down to 200. I am fairly confident most obese people have/had similar lifestyles to me in not that they are not active enough and slowly add up in calories
Interesting that you should mention how fast you became overweight when you left the marines. It just doesn't seem normal to gain that much in 5 short years. Unless you were sitting down eating junkfood all the time. Which makes me suspicious that perhaps you were consuming something that was triggering it. But maybe it wasn't the foods you thought. This reminds me.... that studies show that consuming milk actually helps people lose weight. Because of the good fat in milk. It drives out the bad fat or something like that. This is why many people have started taking fish oil capsules and omega 3's, because of the good fats.

Healthy activity is the only way to remain at a balanced weight, but first you must want to get your butt off the couch and do it. With more energy, this is possible. But sometimes, energy is lacking precisely because of the chemicals they put in food.

I don't know, but I think that big companies shouldn't be taking advantage of an already crippling consumer by making them sick or fat. They must make changes that will benefit everyone. A little here and a little there might start the ball rolling. But so far, nothing is being done, and nobody is doing anything, except complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates