Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

They can check to see what your fat content is, and doctors have a better idea if you are fat or not.
You're saying that for a $150 office consultation, which my insurance will not pay for, I can find out if I'm fat? Can I also hire an accountant to tell me if I'm rich? Who can I pay to tell me if I'm stupid?

The only thing doctors have a good idea about is whether their wallet is fat or not.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-02-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're saying that for a $150 office consultation, which my insurance will not pay for, I can find out if I'm fat? Can I also hire an accountant to tell me if I'm rich? Who can I pay to tell me if I'm stupid?
Post a picture of yourself without a shirt on in this thread , and majority vote determines if youre fat or not. No charge either.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Post a picture of yourself without a shirt on in this thread , and majority vote determines if youre fat or not. No charge either.
...To say nothing of the amusement everyone gets if the vote is close. 49% say he's fat, 46% say not, and the remaining 5% can't decide. The Great Is He Fat Or Not Debate will ensue!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

The only thing doctors have a good idea about is whether their wallet is fat or not.
I trust my doctor with my health. I may have my own opinions on the matter, with which I am happy to express them with my Doctor.

I used to have a primary care physician who didn't seem to worried about me, so I fired his butt, and got one that did care.

Of course, I have good insurance that allowed me to do that.

Some people refuse to believe they are fat, when its clear that they are. If their doctor is worth a darned, then he will tell them such.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
I say tax it, it takes more money to take care of smokers and overweight people so they should have to pay more to the government. Do you know how much ciggs cost? I'm not really going to have a choice soon, I'll have to quit, it should be the same for the overweight. Fast food is turning into an everyday thing for some people. It's an addiction as well and it costs a lot to take care of them, not to mention it sends a bad message to the youth as well, kids are use to seeing people overweight and they think it's ok. I feel like people are doing a better job with educating kids on smoking, but not weight. No, you can't refuse people fast food if they're overweight though, but healthier menus, heck even the salads are bad for you at a lot of those places.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Ok one year ago I weighed 293 pounds.I do not eat fast foods other than once a month when I went into town.Home Made Fresh Food was all I would eat,most of the meat was very Lean Wild Game and Fish.

But I used alot of Fats and Sugars in my cooking,plus I would round my Plate up.

Cut out Sugars,Fats and Salt have dropped to 213 pounds.And I'm kind of stuck there.I realize I have to cut back on Portions.I'm finding it very hard,I realize Lunch time is only a Half Hour away but I'm really wanting something now but I will wait.

I'm trying to take off another 40 pounds.

hillman

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 29,996 times
"them". That is what fat/obese people are now. A labeled group.

Let us not forget that each and every 'fat' person is just that - a person. A person with needs, feelings and the ability to make their own choices. Instead of punishing people for making 'bad' choices, why not encourage "them" to make better choices by arming them with information about the food they choose to eat?

One thing I learned from past experience. If you provide truthful information in the form of how certain foods can benefit your body and fight off disease, most people will be more receptive to it. Food is fuel and the act of eating should not be turned into a war about control. There is no need to blame anyone or anything for so many people being obese. They are obese. They know it. You know it. What is, IS. So instead of complaining about how horrible these people are, help them learn to eat well since no one else is teaching them how to do it!

You can do something about it by educating your friends and family. Leading by example with positive encouragement instead of attacking people, labeling them and coming up with ways to punish them is the best way to go. Knowledge is contagious.

If you really feel the need to do something about other people's lifestyles, instead of being holier than thou and looking down with disgust at fat people, educate them as you would a thin friend who wants to lose 20lbs. Your approach is key. It will work. Knowledge is power and if people really knew what was in most of their 'bad' food, trust me they would not eat it. If they knew that eating 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter while working late at the office will satisfy their hunger cravings in 20 minutes, keep them focused without having the sugar rush/crash cycle, and give them essential oils that their body actually needs instead of eating a snickers bar, they might try it. The point is, they need to know. The majority of Americans do not know how to eat healthy because they are not taught...so let's teach them instead of punishing them....

Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
yea I totally agree, when people get mad at me for smoking (although I am trying to quit) I just smoke more. Positive reinforcement works better. I don't have a problem with taxing things like fast food more though, it's a luxury, I don't see it as a punishment, it's just an increase in cost because you don't need it to survive and well, we have to get the money somewhere.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Just curious; would you think adding a fat tax to all fast food and junk foods would help?

Or restaurants turning away business to severely overweight people?

I know it's probably wrong but was thinking what you all thought about it.
No, people should be smart enough to make responsible choices. Should we tax the gym for health freaks? Turning away fat people is probably illegal in some manner. It sounds good on paper, but then again... I LOVE TACO BELL.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
No, people should be smart enough to make responsible choices. .
Yes, they should be. But they're not. Some people are not as smart as you are. But some people are smarter than you are. What should THEY do about YOU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates