Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times

Advertisements

Well, if they like destroying their ankles, heart muscle, waddling under all that weight, and getting lots of bulging blue veins, sprains, and diabetes, having skin that will hang like an elephant, I say "Daggone it ! This is America. They have a right to eat until they burst !"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
People who eat too much food are exactly the same phenomenon as people who buy too many clothes, buy furniture too often, buy a lot more car than then need, buy every latest electronic bling, buy houses with 3.5 bathrooms. They are the victims of very proficient persuaders---they have been told to consume, and they do exactly what they are told.

We are taught at a very early age to always obey. Now, Big Brother is on TV, people are told to behave in a consumerist fashion, and everybody obeys.

The fundamental problems in America lie in our obedience. We should be taught in school to disobey. This is public education, and it is incumbent on every citizen to ensure that we have a well educated populace, and to remedy the defects in our education.

Yelling at them that it's their own fault if their fat is not a form of education. Along with the blessings of liberty comes the responsibility to make this a more perfect union.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-01-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 02:59 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Just curious; would you think adding a fat tax to all fast food and junk foods would help?

Or restaurants turning away business to severely overweight people?

I know it's probably wrong but was thinking what you all thought about it.
I like that first idea quite a bit. But i have a feeling theres alot of people who cant afford to eat anything more expensive artery-cloggin' fast food . Yet theres many that could , or, eat out less and have healthy food at home. I cant see Restaurants turning away people based on a bias...that doesnt sound politically correct ! A tad unconstitional im sure. Would restaurants have a scale outside the front doors ?! What would be the maximum allowable weight for a man and for a woman ? For someone under 18 ? For kids under 8 ?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM

''

We should be taught in school to disobey.'

REPLY: That comes soon enough ; and no one needs to be taught it . Rebellion to that which is right is part of everyones makeup isnt it ?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Jtur88, thee's a lot of truth in your post. We are marketed to and studied and researched and have products made for us that tickle the food centers of our taste buds and prove very hard to resist..

On the other side, though, is this good news, here's a link to a clinic in Cleveland that's changing their employee's health and saving big on health care costs and claims, through education and support--and it's free to their employees...

This Doctor Does Not Want To See You - How Not to Get Sick - TIME

For those of us who have fragile free will, there is hope that we can change..this article is a success story...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
Peggy Anne here is what you don't understand. Sure, if every fat person was going to kill themselves by jumping off a ship in the middle of the ocean and drowning, that would be their business. Unfortunately by dying via obesity related diseases they incur huge healthcare costs. There is an inverse relationship between obesity and intelligence and education so WE HAVE OT PAY FOR THEIR EXCESSES as most can't afford the costs.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
I might not be fat, but I don't want the government taxing my cookies, cake, ice cream, chips, tacos, biscuits, or anything else, any more than they already do. If overweight people want to fill up on greasy fattening food, thats their problem. But I dont consume greasy foods all the time and think it is highly unfair for me to be taxed extra when I do, simply so the nation gets in shape. Besides, the overweight people will probably give up the rice so they can eat the fried chicken. They're not going to give up their favorite foods, because they would rather give up their playstations and x-boxes and the t.v. than give up the cake.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM

What is the objective standard for determining if someone is 'fat' ? The term is being used alot in this thread, so, im wondering if there IS a standard or not . Is being over the average weight for your height and gender what makes you 'fat' ? Is it if you can pinch more than an inch ? Can a person be 'fat' in just one area of the body and normal in the rest ? Or is it relegated to anothers subjective opinion when they look at you ? Is there a definitive difference between being fat versus obese, and, where does it come in at ? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
What is the objective standard for determining if someone is 'fat' ? The term is being used alot in this thread, so, im wondering if there IS a standard or not . Is being over the average weight for your height and gender what makes you 'fat' ? Is it if you can pinch more than an inch ? Can a person be 'fat' in just one area of the body and normal in the rest ? Or is it relegated to anothers subjective opinion when they look at you ? Is there a definitive difference between being fat versus obese, and, where does it come in at ? Thanks.
Most calculations use BMI, which I feel is the wrong way to go. BMI relies mainly on your height and weight. However, this is a false assumption, because I might be 40 pounds over my ideal weight, however if its muscle, then I am not really fat now am I.

They can check to see what your fat content is, and doctors have a better idea if you are fat or not.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most calculations use BMI, which I feel is the wrong way to go. BMI relies mainly on your height and weight. However, this is a false assumption, because I might be 40 pounds over my ideal weight, however if its muscle, then I am not really fat now am I.

They can check to see what your fat content is, and doctors have a better idea if you are fat or not.
Im wondering if most people would rather be a bit overweight by say .... 20-30 lbs. versus being significantly underweight ? And, i wonder which of the two, is objectively healthier ? Personally, id rather be a bit overweight for general looks, youre stronger, and dont look undernourished. Agree ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates