Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 AM

522 posts, read 1,856,203 times

Advertisements

Yea I thought i'd get some backlash. I was just thinking of some other alternatives to just exercising; however, I do like the idea of teaching nutrition in school and possibly increasing their health premiums (since obesity is a factor to other diseases and disorders).

But I find it that if most parents are overweight their kids are too at no fault of their own, I mean they eat what mom and dad eats; so how does the cycle end?

I'm all for let the fat be fat but I am sympathetic because I was overweight as a child.

BTW I am against national health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

I'm against government intrusion into personal liberties. .

One libertarian in every block, who lets his dog bark all night, keeps the entire nation awake. Too selfish to care about anybody but himself.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One libertarian in every block, who lets his dog bark all night, keeps the entire nation awake. Too selfish to care about anybody but himself.
One liberal on every block, to worried about what everyone else is doing, to pay attention to themselves.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 12,672,910 times
Food for Thought...

Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I think the manufacturers of the unhealthy foods should bear the burden of any extra taxes, not the consumer. Afterall, the consumer is just following the marketing/advertising messages by the manufacturers.

If these snack/junk foods weren't available everywhere we turn, we couldn't eat them-- if we had to make 'em ourselves, would be churning our own ice cream ofr baking our own potato chips??

Those manufacturers and fast food places have millions--billions!--to advertise their products to us--they have money to dedicate to extra taxes for the problems their foods cause their end users--us.

If we tax consumers, then we're putting the blame and burden on them for just being good little lab rats, following our training and conditioning by manufacturers to buy and eat these things.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think most folks would find my views libertarian (although there are some rather odd twists to my political/social views), but I am far more respectful of others and polite than most of the people around me are. My feeling is that if you truly believe in individual rights, you believe in that right for others just as strongly as you believe in that right for yourself. If that's not the case, then you do not believe in freedom. You believe in power--your own. Simply put, selfishness. True personal liberty and unbridled selfishness cannot coexist. Selfishness is the antithesis of 'liberty for all.'

The fellow on your block does not understand free agency in the complete sense of the word; otherwise he would not subject you to the barking dog, thus infringing on your rights. If he believed in freedom, he'd have respect for others. That's something that seems to be lacking in our modern society: courtesy and respect. I don't think it's due to freedom, but rather a warped sense of what freedom means and what its responsibilities are if it is to be practiced properly.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
Just curious; would you think adding a fat tax to all fast food and junk foods would help?

Or restaurants turning away business to severely overweight people?

I know it's probably wrong but was thinking what you all thought about it.
To merge with a few other threads, perhaps we could execute them?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:02 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Food for Thought...

Maybe I'm a contrarian, but I think the manufacturers of the unhealthy foods should bear the burden of any extra taxes, not the consumer. Afterall, the consumer is just following the marketing/advertising messages by the manufacturers.

If these snack/junk foods weren't available everywhere we turn, we couldn't eat them-- if we had to make 'em ourselves, would be churning our own ice cream ofr baking our own potato chips??

Those manufacturers and fast food places have millions--billions!--to advertise their products to us--they have money to dedicate to extra taxes for the problems their foods cause their end users--us.

If we tax consumers, then we're putting the blame and burden on them for just being good little lab rats, following our training and conditioning by manufacturers to buy and eat these things.
But we're NOT lab rats. You are trying to pass the buck here. We are all individuals with free will and are personally responsible for all of our actions. We make the choice whether or not to succumb to the food advertisements. If we stopped buying, believe me, the food manufacturers would stop making it.

Every time I see a Carl's Jr. ad on TV, I think wow, that looks delicious. Look at that giant beef patty, big onions, bacon, lots of pickles and tomatoes, and the cheese, oh the cheese!!. But I don't run out and get one. I never have. It's called self control.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
How about a "fine print" rule. If there is information that the manufacturer thinks needs to be in fine print, then it is banned. I have a 12-inch pizza in my freezer, with 75 square inches of space on the label, but I have to read the ingredients with a magnifying glass, holding it in good light. They don't really want me to know what is in there, do they? Why not?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
But I find it that if most parents are overweight their kids are too at no fault of their own, I mean they eat what mom and dad eats; so how does the cycle end?
I'm all for let the fat be fat but I am sympathetic because I was overweight as a child.
So true, speaking from personal experience. There really isn't much that can be done until the child gets older and is allowed to make their own decisions.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
It should be the issue of giving people the tools to decide and making people personally responsible. It's not the governments fault, the food companies, the advertisers...it's your responsibility to regulate what goes into your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates