Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM

14,490 posts, read 26,665,283 times

Advertisements

Yes,the winters are starting to get to me, I love N Florida Amelia Island...have no idea where I'll end up, but I need the ocean for sure, being landlocked sux!

Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM

870 posts, read 1,578,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
There are many coastal cities I wld prolly love, SF or Santa Monica, or Seattle, but expense is an issue.(If only! Sigh)

I don't like intense heat either which rules out SW and desert,I need an ocean.

I have seen most of the southeast;other than the gulf coast of Florida which is beautiful, it is a disappointment and time warp to me.People in their 50's working at menial jobs and retail.I'm not quite sure why Tenn.,parts of Kentucky,etc. Are like this but I've been here five years too long

Looks like its back to ny or possibly North Virginia, I can't stand living in a place so far behind the times.
You wouldn't like southwestern PA then. It's 20 years behind every one else, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing. But I've seen 50+ year old workers at McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. all over the country.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

26,360 posts, read 19,254,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
But I've seen 50+ year old workers at McDonalds, Wal-Mart, etc. all over the country.
There is a good side to this. Good that they are willing to work at something useful and lawful that provides an income, rather than collecting welfare. Really, some of the most important jobs are the ones most of us respect the least. Try doing without a trash collector in the city for awhile.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,720,389 times
I LOVE where I live. Right by the ocean, plenty of hiking and biking trails, university nearby (although it does get a bit annoying), nice downtown and beautiful weather all year round. I HATE snow and cold and I'm perfectly okay wearing shorts and a tank top in the middle of winter

I couldn't live anywhere that was more than an hour away from the ocean. I love the coast far too much

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,879,227 times
I absolutely would not be happy living any more south than I already am. It was a culture shock moving to NC, but I've adapted. I enjoy the weather (except the humid hot summer). The people are nice for the most part, but it's amazing how many people I meet who have barely ever left their 30 mile radius their entire lives. That is somewhat of a turnoff. I think it's be happiest somewhere in northern California (for the weather, scenery, politics, culture), but that ain't happening, so NC it is for now.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:18 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,796,880 times
I'm content to live right where I'm at. Year round. (Florida)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:42 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,475,956 times
Well,

I've lived in the North (Michigan). Cold most of the year, about two months of really good weather in the summer. Water never gets above 75 degrees, so even with all that shoreline and inland lakes, its not really worth it. The winters, well suck. Some people love them that have been there all their lives, but I've even seen a lot of life time Michiganders who hate the snow.

So the North is out.

I prefer the southeast. Its where I was brought up, I talk like the rest of everyone else does here. Its slightly infuriating the backwards, racist, and religious tendencies here in the south, but I know they are here, so I just deal with that.

I moved to the Florida panhandle, because it has the most beautiful beaches in the United States (outside of Hawaii). It has a lot of history here, Pensacola is the longest lasting settlement in North America. That and the weather is tolerable to what I like. I don't mind winter, seasonal change is good, and there is a winter here, just no snow. The summers are touristy, but if you've got a boat you can get away from them.

Heat and humidity doesn't bother me, so this is perfect for me here. I always wanted to live here, I hope I always can.

If I could move back to Tennessee, I might, just to be close to family. However, I really like it here. The longer I'm away from family, the less I miss them. When I go home I really don't have any freinds left there, and there is really nothing to do. I suppose I could make a life there, but its so much fun living in Florida on the coast.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,248,340 times
Tucson, is a great place as far as history is concerned but jobs are kind of tough. It used to be great. You could purchase tamales on the corner. You can’t do that anymore because somebody decided that they were going to need to get their cut. All of that under the guise of “health”. Now, it has changed dramatically in that the gap between the have and have-nots is widening. Too, there has always been the push and pull between the Catholic’s and the Mormons. It has fantastic lightening storms. I need to be around some kind of water and some green. It is still one of my favorite places but it is so dry. I have family that lives there still and I think it might be worth it to go back. I also have some family that lives a little farther north and that too, might be worth checking out.

I hate Las Vegas. I think that is one of the worst places to live. I mean hate. I had the worst attitude by the time that I left and I can usually pick out someone who has lived there in any of the places that I have moved. The number of junkies is just overwhelming. Food is way overpriced. Which means that with all the “pretty lights” it is just more desert.

Oklahoma-Hated it. But money was either in ranching or in oil and the oil collapsed in 1988. When the money collapses then religion takes over. I think that this is huge. The huge pro is that in OKC there are or were great Vietnamese restaurants and I met more Asian people (Korean/Vietnamese) in OKC then I did in Chicago. Lawton/Fort Sill, those boys did “no wrong”. I think that sucked. Lots of “grey” days. I don’t like that too much. I still have some great friends from there and still have a family member living out there. A lot of nice people.

Houston is entirely too humid for me. But I like the people. I am not too fond of Dallas either. It always felt like I spent most of my time on the road. I don’t care if I had to drive right up the street, it felt like a 45 minute drive. I have family that lives outside of Dallas, now. I think about moving back there, too. I think that in many parts there are some just phenomenally genuinely nice people. Actually, I really liked San Antonio. I love the river walk and the history. Kind of felt like everything was covered in dust though. It wasn’t but it often felt like it.

New Orleans is just not all its cracked up to be. The French Quarter has been flooded so many times that it smelled something awful. The humidity was something else. I used to watch the little kids tap-dance with bottle caps for money. People are often mean as hell. Looking back, I’m really glad I moved (no doubt, eh?)

Florida. I loved living on an island. I think that was probably the best time as far as being and feeling apart of nature. I loved the green and the water. I think that if I could move back to Florida though, I would go to the mainland and live. I need to occasionally get to a mall. I think that living on a 2x4 island and not being able to get off the rock for too long is detrimental to one’s health. I met a lot of people who had never left the island (ever) and were terrified of going to the mainland. I like the ability to walk down the street and not hear the same language twice in South Florida, and that would be pretty nice.

Chicago. I love some elements of Chicago and detest others. I like the ethnic diversity. I hate the way people maintain personal space by being oblivious of what is around them. I lived about two blocks from this Vietnamese/Korean section. I always got the “hey white chick-what are you doing here” look. I cannot stand Daley. I hate the term “renovation” and I hate areas that are just poverty stricken. I love the books stores and I love going to eat. I love having Second City right there. I moved down town and hated the noise. And after awhile it becomes just one overdone cow-town.

Indiana. Hate, hate, hate it. However, I have been told that if I moved 100 miles south of where I am that I would encounter a whole different world and the people are very different. If I could pull that off, I would love to check into it.

I vaguely remember Pittsburgh, I did like New York though. However, I am tired of writing.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,397,706 times
For me, an area having cultural and ethnic diversity is important, as well as an active social scene. Natural beauty is also important, and I like mild climates (though I do miss snow).

That's why I like Seattle. Mild climate extremes, low crime, diverse, and a fun place to live. It's also where I met my wife =)

I would also live in Chicago if my job had some positions out there. I am sure it does, but I would prefer to stay in Seattle. Portland would also be good. Stevenson, WA would also be cool.

LOL and about the "Peoples' Republics" ... that fits the Seattle area to a T. But I like having a motley crew to hang out with, so it's all good.

The only place where I can honestly say I detested living was Phoenix. I lived there only three months but I hated it. It was the people. The most rude, obnoxious, money-focused, gun-crazy idiots you've ever met.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:32 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,375,601 times
I live in Cary, NC, and like it a lot. The RTP area of NC is made up of highly technical individuals who relate to each other better than any other area I have lived. In larger areas (Naperville, Houston, DC, and NY) I found the people some what distant, and in neighbor hoods I never felt the neighbors understood me. This could have been accent, but I also think it was cultural. In the RTP area of NC we all seem to work in high tech environments, education levels are similar, and interest seem to be close. We are more social in part because we all are from different areas and curious about the differences in our backgrounds, and also due to a lack of fear due to the low crime rate (one of the lowest in the US) in our town. Weather is an added plus, but I don’t think it is a factor in why I like this part of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates