Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,319,088 times

Advertisements

Anywhere I can freely room the woods without fear of being attacked by something poisonous or someone pschyo, warm enough to grow a few tomatoes in the summer, free enough to hunt for non-gentically altered, lower fat content food without being run for warrants in my own backward for target practicing, free enough to homeschool with few restrictions where there isn't a rumor going around about a witch hunt and the hint to be prepared to fight back by bringing in every single book, magazine, newpaper, crayon, pencil, pet, poster, grandparent, and house plant in if they ask you to bring your curriclum in for review, far enough from neighbors that I can not see them in their yard while I stand in mine but close enough to know them by name and wave as they drive by, far enough away from family you know they'll call before coming over yet close enough to drop everything if you need to be with them, close enough to civilization to get high speed internet (believe it or not we're within 5 minutes of 7 towns and can't get it), close enough to get a cell phone signal, far enough away that the traffic is a very distant hum and the planes are not desending over your home as they prepare to land at the airport, and close enough to feel secure that there is a hospital, post office and grocery store within 10-15 minutes of where we live. Other than that, I'm not too picky.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,937,133 times
I like living near a large metropolitan area (> 500,000), but not in a downtown area per se. I don't mind having to drive, even on large highways, to get where I need to go day-to-day.

I don't like living in areas with a large religious presence overall, or an overly conservative community (however, more libertarian ideas, i.e. stay out of my business and don't tax me, are fine). I like where I live to be racially diverse (and no, a place being 60% white and 40% black IS NOT diverse IMHO--I mean a mix of all races). I need to live somewhere with an abundance of great natural/organic grocery stores/farmers' markets. I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies.

Honestly I can't see myself ever living somewhere that is considered "Middle America" or "America's Heartland" or whatever you wish to call it.

I like being near a large airport that I can easily find flights in and out of.

I like balmy, breezy summers or hotter summers with no humidity (desert is ok). I like cool to cold winters with no snow, although I like being within a day's drive to a snowier region. I like mountains, and both the ocean nearby. I like both sunshine and cloudy days.

Needless to say, San Diego (where I live now) is pretty perfect for me...the only thing that sucks is the airport.

I used to live in Florida. I hated, hated, hated the summers--but the winters weren't so bad. I HATE the humidity there. The only thing I will say that I miss is the violent afternoon thunderstorms in the summertime of Florida. Rain is a rare sight where I live now!

Last edited by thepinksquid; 10-12-2009 at 02:57 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,697,287 times
I have lived in New Mexico - twice. Too danged hot and too much desert. ( I like to grow things.)
I lived in Texas - great people, good soil, too much summer, too crowded with people.
Ohio - 4 years- too many loong cold damp days and nights. Again, too many people.
Born and raised in SC and just moved from there - 6 weeks of "winter" - where the temp rarely drops below 20 above. Too humid, too many bugs, too many Snowbirds looking for warmth that couldn't finish the drive to Florida.
Nebraska - more like Nebraskaaaahhhhh.... a Place with wide open spaces, good clean water, sweet clean air, long silent nights with just stars, coyotes, hoot owls, and the occasional lowing of a cow herd. Hardly any people. Those that are here are solid and down to earth, decent and funny and fun and hardworking, and have that distinct, I mind my own business, don't tread on me attitude I enjoy and have myself. FOUR FREAKING SEASONS!! LOL It is cold for football games, just like it is supposed to be. A few hot weeks in summer, when the vegies and fruits and flowers run rampant. Then - fall and snowy icecold winters, then a REAL spring. Hardly any bugs all year long. Peaceful and crazy and quiet with great schools, smart and polite and decent kids, and amazing weather and skies.

Guess which place and area I prefer. Ahem.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,208,370 times
I've only lived in two areas (I don't count NJ, LOL).

NYC and it's suburbs for 29 years of my life: Love the seasons, but hate the length of the seasons. Meaning, short spring, summer, and fall, and what feels like six months of winter. I loved the snow as a child, but being in the workforce and having to deal with alternate side parking, snow plows that would bury my car, and SALT - ugh. The short summer was pretty brutal while it was there, but spring and fall were the best! However, we were doomed to be perpetual renters, even with multiple masters degrees in engineering - if we could manage to buy, we could never manage the taxes, especially on the pathetic salaries offered in NYC. Not to mention mandatory unpaid overtime was expected. Which is why we relocated.

SC, Charleston for the past year and change: I think I discovered that I am more opposed to change than I thought I was. A lot of stuff bothers me: the weather (it was 80 degrees yesterday, seriously?), the humidity (though I love the rainstorms down here!), the bugs.... oh yes, the bugs. I remember being a NYer and joking about the size of roaches and rats you would see in the subways; SC bugs would eat both of those for afternoon tea. NY bugs would skitter away if you approached them... palmetto bugs will RUN or FLY AT YOU. However, the little anoles I see on occasion are cute. The length of summer is forever, and I really dislike running my A/C from the end of March through October (I would love to open my windows on cooler days in the 70s, but the humidity...). I also don't like the trees much - probably because I am used to the pine and maple trees I grew up with, and the evergreen trees here look spindly in comparison, and the deciduous trees have skinny leaves that drop all season long. Not a fan of year-long raking.

If I could adjust the weather just a wee bit (which would probably shrink the bugs and maybe introduce different flora, lol), it's a lovely area to live in. My husband and I are paid significantly more for our work down here (80% increase for my husband), and there is more job growth opportunity (10% raises instead of 3%, plus upper management isn't glutted). People manage to be productive without overworking themselves to death. The people are SO much nicer, in general, which adds to quality of life. We have pretty beaches (though I wish there was something like Seaside Heights, NJ with a boardwalk), spectacular food (I have found better brick oven pizza than I ever had in NYC, and that's just the start), plenty of culture... all this and ridiculously low taxes, HOA fees, with superior amenities. So, while there is a tradeoff, I think we are much happier here. As long as we get to vacation in NYC once a year, haha!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:59 AM

25,882 posts, read 18,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I have lived in New Mexico - twice. Too danged hot and too much desert. ( I like to grow things.)
I lived in Texas - great people, good soil, too much summer, too crowded with people.
Ohio - 4 years- too many loong cold damp days and nights. Again, too many people.
Born and raised in SC and just moved from there - 6 weeks of "winter" - where the temp rarely drops below 20 above. Too humid, too many bugs, too many Snowbirds looking for warmth that couldn't finish the drive to Florida.
Nebraska - more like Nebraskaaaahhhhh.... a Place with wide open spaces, good clean water, sweet clean air, long silent nights with just stars, coyotes, hoot owls, and the occasional lowing of a cow herd. Hardly any people. Those that are here are solid and down to earth, decent and funny and fun and hardworking, and have that distinct, I mind my own business, don't tread on me attitude I enjoy and have myself. FOUR FREAKING SEASONS!! LOL It is cold for football games, just like it is supposed to be. A few hot weeks in summer, when the vegies and fruits and flowers run rampant. Then - fall and snowy icecold winters, then a REAL spring. Hardly any bugs all year long. Peaceful and crazy and quiet with great schools, smart and polite and decent kids, and amazing weather and skies.

Guess which place and area I prefer. Ahem.
Hmmmm. You make it sound pretty good. Maybe I should add it to my list! I especially like the part about folks not trying to dictate each other's lives. That's pretty hard to find these days.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,233,014 times
And she just reminded me of why I should stop romancing New Mexico.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,051,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Hmmmm. You make it sound pretty good. Maybe I should add it to my list! I especially like the part about folks not trying to dictate each other's lives. That's pretty hard to find these days.
In northern Iowa, which was green and threaded with rivers, I found a region similar to what Granny describes. Good people, beautiful area in its way.
But I need a beach in my life.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
The war against winter is just not worth fighting. I spent too much of my life fighting it, and I got no further ahead.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,615,828 times
Pinksquid, u seem to love SD, I have heard people who say great things about it....I considered Santa Monica a I love the ocean there and its diverse....never been to SD though...

I have to get out of where I am; I'm sure there are worse places, but a city of 60,000 people is still small town america to a person from ny...its not culturally diverse,not a place for me....

Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,246,779 times
Chicago I was born. Chicago I will die.

From triple digits to subzero temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates