Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 PM

374 posts, read 813,513 times

Advertisements

Although I am from the South and have sentimental ties to that region, I would very much like to live in the West, at least for a short period of time. And when I say the West, I more specifically mean states like Montana, especially Wyoming and New Mexico, but also Arizona and perhaps rural Colorado. The absence of all that humidity would be pretty refreshing, I think.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,961,868 times
The South... but way way south.. yes Miami I love Miami because of the culture and international atmosphere. It is so cool to be able to go out and see different languages being spoken almost anywhere you are. The scenery is great, roads are great and the weather is amazing. I love being in foreign places and Miami is the closest I can feel to living this when I am not traveling. Something is always happening and every time you leave the house you can come back with some sort of story to tell.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:02 PM

622 posts, read 1,726,416 times
The north,because I'm disabled though not by choice

If I had say I would like to live somewhere exotic like New Zealand (De clawing is illegal in New Zealand so my cats would be safer) and become licensed to keep and care for giant wetas ( huge highly endangered crickets)

Look up Wetapunga. You'll be AMAZED

Old 10-18-2009, 04:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,800,602 times
I've always lived in the south because that's where my parents have always lived. I wouldn't mind staying here the rest of my life because of the low cost of living but I hate the conservative political climate that seems to permeate a lot of the south. I also hate how car-dependent it is.

I wouldn't mind living North (Massachusetts, Washington, D.C., Connecticut, New Hampshire) because people tend to be more open-minded and it isn't so car-centric (depending on the city).

The Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon) is beautiful to me and the people seem to be very tolerant.

I'd be happy in either the Northeast or the Northwest.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:06 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,698,161 times
We bought 60 acres in NE, fenced and crossfenced, with a 100-year-old farmhouse, two pole barns, a garage and a shop, with 14 acres in "town" (177 people) and the rest in the county. I went to the Town Board meeting and asked them about ordinances, because we wanted to have an organic farm, and needed to build chicken coops, a greenhouse, etc. They looked at me and said, "We think we had some once, but we don't know where we put them." And that's pretty much how it is - everyone keeps their places neat and clean, does their own thing, and bothers no one else. They WANT people to move here who have the same attitude of creativity, hard work, and entrapraneurship. Folks trade food and work and help each other when necessary - but no one intrudes. The kids all know how to ride, rope, brand, and castrate from the age of six, and are active not only on the local ranches but in the drama club, athletics, and school band. They all say "Yes, sir" and "No ma'm" and vandalize nothing - because they know their parents will make them replace it. You can do whatever you please on your own property, and walk down to the park at 11 PM without worrying about a thing. The kids hang out at the park at night on the weekends and in the summer, playing basketball and volleyball and football, and no one cares. It is very inexpensive to live here, and we love it. If you want to work, don't want to be beholden to anyone, and like a quiet quality of life, Nebraska is the place to do it, IMHO. Those who need excitement and activity still - like my grown kids, who are completely amazed at how Mom and Dad removed themselves from the hustle and bustle! LOL - probably would be bored to tears, though.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,471,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The South... but way way south.. yes Miami I love Miami because of the culture and international atmosphere. It is so cool to be able to go out and see different languages being spoken almost anywhere you are. The scenery is great, roads are great and the weather is amazing. I love being in foreign places and Miami is the closest I can feel to living this when I am not traveling. Something is always happening and every time you leave the house you can come back with some sort of story to tell.
Yeah, that's exactly why I left Miami and moved back out west.... because of all those daily "stories to tell"! Like the dead guy laying by the side of the MacArthur Causeway on a sunday morning, the weekly assassinations in broad daylight by "cocaine cowboys", tourists regularly murdered on Miami Beach, car bombings by right wing Cubans, folks being pulled from their cars in Liberty City, prominent judges murdered in their own home, etc., etc.. (although living there did improve my spanish a lot)!

I love the West... the beauty and wide open vistas, the dry climate, the history and culture of the "pioneers", the tendency to judge folks more on their merits than by their right "family", "neighborhood", "church", etc., and most of all, there's the wonderful sense that this is (still) a land of "possibilities"!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,302,469 times
I roamed over more of the United States and I've lived in a lot of states. There are places I would consider moving to for the natural beauty and friendliness. and not too far leaning in any direction. Most are rural, most have a decent medical system, all but two have a large body of water nearby. They all have a nice park ssystem, all but one has four seasons, all but one is solated. None have a history of tornadoes or hurricanes. All but two are self-contained and 50-100 miles from a "big town of 100,000 are larger.

Grove OK; Palm Spring CA; Oceanside CA; Ruidosa, NM; Nachitoches, LA; Peoria IL..

Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,359,144 times
This is a two year old thread that never really had what it takes to be in this forum section in the first place, thanks for all participation.

Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.