Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

Capitalism gives one an oppertunity to purse their dreams, not a guarentee they will succeed.

Only if your dream is to have what money can buy.

Capitalism also denies one the opportunity to pursue their dreams, unless they agree to also participate five full days a week in the mindless money-for-work cash-grab. And that is a guarantee that you will NOT succeed in reaching your dreams, unless your dream is to surround yourself with money, or unless you spend you life in pursuit of money and only dream of part-time success.

So, the miracle of capitalism is that nobody has a guarantee of success, but everyone has a guarantee of failure, unless they play the money-for-work game. If you don't play it our way, you will certainly die. If you DO play it our way, maybe you will die.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-04-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
You do not have to play the work for money, and the owner's profits, if you have had the foresight to chose rich indulgent parents that leave you with a big enough trust fund. Then, after they die and no longer control you, you can do whatever you darn well please. Unfortunately most of us were not this wise. We are stuck on the work for wages treadmill.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Your seething racism and bitterness is holding you back more than any scary evil white man under your bed. Life will always need tree trimmers, street sweepers, grocery clerks and the like, including in Sweden.
Do I sound stupid to you? Why do you debate me in such a condescending manner? Swedens immigrants are far more likely to be political refugees than economic migrants and their effect on the local eonomy is far less than here. If you are cool with the status quo, good on you. Some are not and that isn't only those who are 'seething racists'. Some of the Conservatives on the power side are not happy with the status quo and are arguing evermore stridently for all out neglect of 'the poor'. Who are the poor? Rimz, designer jeans and unlimited cell phone plans cost way more money than can be funded by public assistance. It may come as a surprise just who the 'poor' actually are when and if they are targeted for attrition. Also by cleverly using generic language you try to circumvent the fact that, by and large, most of the white adoptions of non-white children is of Asians or Eastern Europeans. This will be my last direct post to any response that insults my intelligence by taking my opinions out of context.

H

Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 AM

197 posts, read 378,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I kept his Modest Proposal in my mind as I formulated my suggestions.

Why do you all seem to let the churches off the hook here? My original point is that Jesus told His followers to care for the poor. The churches have passed the responsibility to the government--i. e. Caesar. The tithe on personal income would go up if there were a significant tax reduction. Corporate donations would likewise be able to be increased if mandatory support of welfare programs were ended.
real quick like here, and i'll get through the other 12 pages later. Ok.. Your putting A LOT of faith in people who do not even understand their faith.. Being some one of Christian origin and having gone to church and reading the bible, Matthew 20:16 So the last will be first, and the first last. Look at the seven deadly sins and heavily virtues, NONE of them speak of material wealth and riches, they only speak of being modest and kind. The Bible speaks of helping others and caring and doing something with your hands and being hard working, yet how many still follow ANYTHING like that?? not many of the church goers i know.. In fact one of the strongest Christians i know is seeking fame and fortune... So here is my point, i do not put such faith in people, because the majority show otherwise, people say and project one thing, but do another.

So um.. another LARGE issue here, HOW IS CORPORATE WELFARE ANY BETTER THAN GOVERNMENT??? Seriously? how is it even any different, if there is one thing that confuses me most about any given political stance, it comes from the "conservatives" or at least conservatives in the wake of multi-nationals, is the love for the corporation.. Like the majority of them are any better than the majority of those in the government. If i buy from said corporation, shouldn't said profit be spent to improve the company or create better products for the consumer?? The argument is exactly the same for government and corporate welfare, we put money in but have little say where it goes back out.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
real quick like here, and i'll get through the other 12 pages later. Ok.. Your putting A LOT of faith in people who do not even understand their faith.. Being some one of Christian origin and having gone to church and reading the bible, Matthew 20:16 So the last will be first, and the first last. Look at the seven deadly sins and heavily virtues, NONE of them speak of material wealth and riches, they only speak of being modest and kind. The Bible speaks of helping others and caring and doing something with your hands and being hard working, yet how many still follow ANYTHING like that?? not many of the church goers i know.. In fact one of the strongest Christians i know is seeking fame and fortune... So here is my point, i do not put such faith in people, because the majority show otherwise, people say and project one thing, but do another.

So um.. another LARGE issue here, HOW IS CORPORATE WELFARE ANY BETTER THAN GOVERNMENT??? Seriously? how is it even any different, if there is one thing that confuses me most about any given political stance, it comes from the "conservatives" or at least conservatives in the wake of multi-nationals, is the love for the corporation.. Like the majority of them are any better than the majority of those in the government. If i buy from said corporation, shouldn't said profit be spent to improve the company or create better products for the consumer?? The argument is exactly the same for government and corporate welfare, we put money in but have little say where it goes back out.
I go back to the fact that conservatives hold this up to be a Christian nation. That is why I reason that the ideas that I set forth in my original post to be a conservative solution to the problem of the poor.

As I write this, members of a church are housing the homeless during the Arctic Blast. They have a van, and they are picking people up and taking them to their gym, where they will be sheltered until the emergency is over. In that time, I would hope that some of the recipients of this Christian charity will decide that maybe they want a change in the lives. There are an abundance of charities in my area. People here are known for being generous. I believe that they would be even more generous if they could use their tax money as direct aid to the poor.

I also believe that churches must be held accountable for doing God's work. Not by the government, but by their synods, or whatever. I believe that churches and their congregations must hold each other accountable. If people hold themselves up to be Christians, particularly when they are standing in judgment of others, I call on them to defend themselves.

Personally, I find it repugnant when megachurches bloated with their congregants' money, build huge spa-like campuses for their members. The church I attend has no campus, and it spends the vast majority of its collections on outreach in the inner-city community. I'm incredulous that they think Jesus would be ok with their lifestyles. What was it he said to the rich guy who said he wanted to have eternal life? I think it had to do with selling all your belongings and giving it to the poor. He didn't tell people to sell their stuff and give the money to Caesar to take care of the poor.

I also think it's ironic that the megachurches are really the antithesis of what Jesus said to do to live forever. I think that they would be the place to avoid, if eternal life is really your goal.

It's sad that the churchgoers in your area don't act on what they say they believe. Perhaps they should be pushed to take up the cross and follow Christ, since they aren't doing it on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates