Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some people can enter this nation with nothing and work 12 to 18 hour days to build a life for themselves to succeed. I know of people that lived in their places of business untill they were successfull. I know of 3 people that had just a dream, and built that dream into a business one step at a time, that now gives them a life that anyone would dream about.

How is it possible for someone to turn nothing into something and those that have government assistance. free rent, food, medical care, and they still can't use that advantage into building something of their own? I just don't get it. we do people a big inservice by paying their way in life. It is an insult to the abillity of the American people to offer to pay for someones rent, food, and other living expenses.

In this nation we can go to school and get a college education. For those that are living off the dole they can probably qualify to go to school for free. Their is just no excuse not to get an education. You want to pay the poor to sit there and remain idle? How about having them sit in class and have them get an education. Lets pay for that and maybe in a 20 to 25 year period we can change how things are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 AM

139 posts, read 568,968 times
Reproduction as a right without responsibility.This is not good.I have to go and take care of some responsibilities now.I don't want to anger mr. scrooge.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:20 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
No, she didn't. She had the baby because she got wasted one day and had unprotected sex. She told me that.

I understand that donors end up on the receiving end. I have faith that I won't end up in that situation, but I might. It's unlikely, because we're not very overextended and the tide is beginning to turn.

I'm not a purist. If I am going to give to a charity, I know that some of the money will be misused. Government involvement is also a reality. Just because I think it should not be doesn't mean that I'm going to avoid organizations that take federal funds. It's like trying to avoid buying products made in China. I will buy the non-Chinese product whenever possible. But sometimes, the only product that I can find is made in China. So I have to compromise and buy the best I can afford if I can't do without.

Don't you mean take? Not give. Whole 'nother ball game, ain't it?

YOU must eat well, to stave off the hospital bills AND you would rather die then take from MY check. God will provide.......ANYTHING but the peanut butter in the trash bin. Your backstepping from your original stance. This is what is convenient for you. You will accept government money given to charity if it will keep you from the humiliation of the trash can.

Your in.

Your out.

Ask yourself, would Jesus do the hokey pokey?

I don't think so.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why is it that some people can enter this nation with nothing and work 12 to 18 hour days to build a life for themselves to succeed. I know of people that lived in their places of business untill they were successfull. I know of 3 people that had just a dream, and built that dream into a business one step at a time, that now gives them a life that anyone would dream about.
This is a very interesting observation. What do you really think of these people while they are in the early stages of their economic development? Generally, Americans have nothing but contempt for a family that is trying to do this.

We think of them like Apu, the convenience store owner in The Simpsons, who is constantly trying to rip people off with outrageous prices, or the Patels who own a motel that no respectable person would ever sleep in because the office smells like curry. We think that they never hire Americans to work for them, instead they sneak all their family members into the US to work for them for no wages. The whole extended family packs like sardines into one room. They hold their children as slave labor and don't let them associate with American kids. They have syndicates that make business loans to each other, unfairly undercutting American entrepreneurs. They speak a funny language in public, annoying the hell out of us, and aren't even Christians. They set up business in ghettos where it's easier to take advantage of gullible customers.

And finally they become millionaires, and suddenly that qualifies them for the praise of Soon2be, who has no other criteria for judging people, except how much of our collective wealth they can expropriate for themselves.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 AM

240 posts, read 537,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have never personally known any person who had lung cancer. My dad smoked every day of his life until he died in his sleep in his bedroom at 93. So I know that smoking is not harmful to your health, my knowledge of that is completely based on personal observation and experiences.

Good for your Dad!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
the hard truth is--wait for it---"Everybody is not supposed to make it" --some have what it takes. Other take what you have.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
You really do not have anything brilliant to say. I took you off ignore for a minute and I knew it was a bad idea. Back on ignore you go.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You really do not have anything brilliant to say. I took you off ignore for a minute and I knew it was a bad idea. Back on ignore you go.
I find your posts to be most imformative, and spell binding. I wait for each one with great anticipation.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:36 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
One thing that does bother me is the contempt alot of Americans show towards the working poor or anyone lower than Upper-Middle Class. Not everyone is going to be a doctor or a broker, and it's time we change this attitude that money defines human character.

Being the best person you can be should define you. Welfare robs the human soul of dignity, but alot of times, the "Pull yer self up by your bootstraps" crowd simply use that as a platatude, not realizing that there is no economic system known to man that foresees everyone living upper class lifestyles. Someone is going to be stuck cleaning the floors and sweeping the streets, and I think it's those "poor" who often get left out of the equation.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
The Poor will always be with us. Most American Christians believe, among other things, that Christ charged us with caring for the least of our brothers. They also consider the United States to be a Christian nation, despite the fact that the Founding Fathers may have been divided on personal issues of faith, but not on their intent to found a nation where freedom of faith is fundamental. Their intent for the poor is to be found in the phrase "promote the general welfare", which was the basis for the Great Society movement of Lyndon B. Johnson.

Despite the huge infusion of money earned by other taxpayers and transferred to the welfare of the poor, they are, indeed, still with us. More and more the cry is heard for personal responsibility. I believe that an application of that creed, can help get our nation back on track in a number of ways. The question is, will the Christians also heed Jesus' dictum to "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and render unto God that which is God's"? Currently we are rendering unto Caesar that which is God's, and it has created a different set of problems, among them welfare and Medicaid fraud.

Here are some of my ideas for solutions. They were inspired by a forum in which several posters were discussing the responsibilities for feeding the children of the poor. Be prepared, because some of them are beyond the pale.

First, eliminate welfare. Completely. Let's let those who can survive on their own do, and as far as those who can't, if charity doesn't step in, they can die. There was a forum a few months ago that I can no longer find where a poster was advocating this as one solution along with vigilante justice. A bleeding heart wrote that "surely you wouldn't let the children starve!" He replied that of course he wouldn't let the children starve, their parents would. Don't bring children into the world if you can't afford to feed them, he said.

Eliminate all subsidies for housing, health care, and child care. Eliminate public schooling. This would free up millions of dollars for the extra money that would be needed for policing until this Draconian social Darwinism weeded out the first two or three generations. This is also where the vigilante justice system steps in to cut down on court costs.

If churches and other charities wanted to step in, by all means let them. Their money is given, not taxed. Anyone who doesn't want to feed the hungry and clothe the naked shouldn't have to. One problem is that when the government took over the responsibility of the church, people began to see taking care of the poor as a government domain instead of a charitable one. Of course, many Americans don't have the stomach to see children literally starving right in front of them, so their response would be interesting to see. I don't really have any idea what would happen.

We are not too many generations removed from this type of care for the poor. As a nation, we decided during the early 20th century that our citizens should be sustained at government expense. Now that we have reaped the consequences, we may decide that we should return to a policy of "no work, no food."

Prior to that time, the poor were primarily maintained by charities--soup kitchens, shelters, and charity hospitals. Children were expected to pull their own weight, and working children did not clog up the few public schools that existed. Parents who could afford it could send their children to elite schools that had high expectations and delivered a quality education.

Poor people did not expect to be supported by government transfer of private funds to their households. There was a serious connect between being able to eat every day and working for that food which has been lost. If America is serious about returning to its roots, as I so often hear the conservatives say, then we should begin by closing down the public trough, refunding the money to the taxpayers, and see if they step up to meet the needs of the poor (not their desires) through charitable donations. And if they don't, let's see their reaction to the sight of ragged, sick, starving homeless children begging at the side of the road.

This has got to be the most ignorant thing I've ever read.... Did this person even stop to THINK before typing this garbage????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates