Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So your entire plan depends on expecting people to do what they SHOULD do, and then leaving them free to do what they WANT to do. There is not a clear precedent that that can be depended on.
That's why every child should get a good education and specific job training before reaching adulthood. The massive tax cuts that would accrue from excising public education would allow parents to purchase private education. Churches or private charities or foundations would have to sponsor schools for children whose parents have no income. Former school personnel could form consortia and compete for private school contracts.

Children learn quickly how to make do and fend for themselves if necessary. Private foundations should also set up orphanages for those children whose parents are likely to abandon them if they no longer receive money to feed them. It would likely be much cheaper to take care of the children in an institution than in private homes. Also, the children would be better supervised and instructed in their studies than in homes where there is no clear structure or routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
One thing liberalism has failed to answer is how do you create a welfare program without a part of the population becoming dependent on it.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
That's why every child should . . . . .
Should I repeat again that your entire plan depends on expecting people to do what they SHOULD do, and then leaving them free to do what they WANT to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
One thing liberalism has failed to answer is how do you create a welfare program without a part of the population becoming dependent on it.
One thing conservativism has failed to answer is now do you create a perfect population with no sub-standard members? If your plan does not allow for some people being below average, I can confidently predict that there will always be people below average.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I live, our community is very involved in charities of all kinds. As the news plays, I learn that Habitat for Humanity is suffering, but plan to build 40 homes next year. The local Animal Rescue League is asking for help, and they generally get it.

I do expect people to do what they SHOULD do, especially when the alternative is having the consequences look back at you. Some people give their lives to helping others, while others who have applied themselves to good end in business have given of the fruits of their labors to help those less fortunate.

I also expect to be able to hold accountable those whose creed states that they must help the poor. It is one of the five pillars of Islam, and it is also a directive from Christ Himself. Churches SHOULD hold their congregants accountable for carrying out the messages they preach. Congregants should hold their leaders to focus their funds on outreach rather than entertainment for the congregation.

I just don't believe that Americans will let the children starve. So why not cut government to the bare bones, just as the conservatives claim to want to do, and let those who will, care for those who can't? Even the Reagan administration couldn't get away with calling ketchup a vegetable, even though they tried. Americans are fundamentally good people. Let's get back to the plan of a thousand points of light and the great city on the hill.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
One thing conservativism has failed to answer is now do you create a perfect population with no sub-standard members? If your plan does not allow for some people being below average, I can confidently predict that there will always be people below average.
This makes no sense whatever.

There will ALWAYS be people who are below average. There will ALWAYS be people who are below average in intelligence, in education, in looks, in income, whatever...

Conservatism has nothing to do with population manipulation.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
The Poor will always be with us.
If you run for president. I will vote for you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I'd love to see a compassionate conservative answer for this problem, too! Just saying...

I'd also love to see how churches will get all this money and donations as well as protection from greed, corruption, and abuse of power. Seems to me the protectors and promoters will be the preachers too, lol. Most likely, they'll also have high ranking positions on the vigilante council. OMG, LOL!

OP keeps mentioning WWJD. Remember Jesus and the money changers? Try appealing to me with realism via a reality based proposal.

Looks like a lot of citizens will leave yet again, in search of separation of church and state. That is if this proposal was to ever get implemented.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Do you go to church?

I think the first group of people who should not receive cash from the government are the churches. Yep. We could save a huge bundle right there.

2. Is there a hospital? Tax them. Save a bundle there. Lets get rid of the religious welfare baby.
What cash is the government giving churches? Its the memebers that give that to the chruches. Maybe you think that Acorn is a church. Its just aniother political group that has gotten taxpayers money thru politcal means;until they got caught.Hospitals? Those that are not non-profit already pay taxes besides give out free healthacre. The non-profiit hospitals;they are already closing by the hundreds. You will have to look else where for scam groups like Acorn who get government money ;I am afraid.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Here is an absolute mathematical certainty: Half the people will always be poorer than the other half.

Not such a certainty, but very probably, the people in the rich half will decide the fate the people in the poor half, in ways that are advantageous to the rich half.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Here is an absolute mathematical certainty: Half the people will always be poorer than the other half.

Not such a certainty, but very probably, the people in the rich half will decide the fate the people in the poor half, in ways that are advantageous to the rich half.
this is the way it should be--"leaders and followers" --I'm nither. I just wonder aimlessly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates