Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled across this wonderful quote from Groucho Marx, who usually tried to be funny, but on his death bed, he stripped the humor and offered a serious philosophy of life:

"Most of us try to compensate for our low intelligence with hard work."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 PM

216 posts, read 343,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Being "Rich" has nothin to do with money. I'm rich, and have little cash.
If you think about it this is a lot said in a few words .

Old 11-30-2009, 05:03 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
As a moderate libertarian and as a Catholic, I do not see the OP's solution being something that is either socially nor morally reasonable. If we want to look at this in a completely materialist way, a society as such would quickly collapse into anarchy and genocide/totalitarianism, since complete darwinism dictates there can only be one or a few winners, with everyone else falling by the wayside.

What I think should be considered is the idea of putting the poor to work in either the fields or in menial labor in order to garner money. Things like SRO hotels for those who cannot afford an actual house/apartment.

The idea of capitalism is that it provides a niche for everyone. More growth means more crop pickers, street sweepers, janitors, cashiers, etc where the poor can thrive.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 AM

240 posts, read 537,597 times
Most "poor" in America today are there by either choice or upbringing. Most are the product of generations of living on the welfare system, and feel they are entitled to receiving free housing, food, utilities, heath care, etc.

The Katrina refugees in 2005 were prime examples of this, with the majority still receiving government paid housing in varied parts of the country. I personally saw a nice Arlington, Texas apartment complex destroyed into a ghetto after only six months of the refugees living there. Garbage strewn in the parking lot, grafitti written on walls, windows broken out intentionally, many refugees drinking heavily at 9:00 a.m., and cars burglarized nightly.

Crime in the area increased by 300% since the refugees arrived. Most there in late 2005 are still there, still unemployed, and still living on government handouts. There is no excuse for this life style, other than pure ignorance and laziness. But these "poor" have cable, large screen HDTVs, money to buy beer, liquor, dope, and 20" chrome rims for their "rides," yet can't pay their rent, food or medical bills.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

What I think should be considered is the idea of putting the poor to work in either the fields or in menial labor in order to garner money. Things like SRO hotels for those who cannot afford an actual house/apartment.

The idea of capitalism is that it provides a niche for everyone. More growth means more crop pickers, street sweepers, janitors, cashiers, etc where the poor can thrive.
Why do so many people start out by looking at WORK as the desired end (and not the means), and then need to adjust everything else to fit work?

Putting people to work does not garner money unless the work is economically productive. Sending an army of workers out to sweep streets or pick up leaves or dig holes and fill them back in does not generate any wealth, so where does the money come from to pay them?

The cost of paying people to do nothing is exactly the same as the cost of paying people to work at tasks that do not generate any wealth. In fact, it's cheaper, because you don't have to clothe and equip them and provide child care for their family and transport them to the job site where they do nothing that returns the cost.

You pay taxes. Your taxes go, in part, to support people whose labor is unnecessary. Would you feel better about your taxes being used digging holes in the ground and filling them back in? Or waging perpetual war, like in "1984"?

No, the idea of capitalism has nothing to do with niches. It is an experimental and theoretical means to provide well-being for everybody, and if it does not or cannot do that, then another way must be found. Capitalism is a means, which one hopes achieves a desired end. You cannot start out declaring that Capitalism and Work are the desired ends and then searching for ways to justify them.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-30-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,465,347 times
In life, we become what we do. We are known for our works. and bums are known for theirs. I see no inconsistency here.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 PM

109 posts, read 364,455 times
For some other opinions about poverty in the US, read: "Working Poor:Invisible" by David Shipler and "One Nation, Underpriviledged" by Mark Robert Rank before you make too many assumptions.

Not everyone gets to do what they want, despite the claims of "freedom" and choice and the rights within the Constitution. Choices can be forced because there are NO other options.....

Old 11-30-2009, 12:57 PM

In my life, I have had to do many things I didn't want to do, to survive the moment. but I considered them all just stepping stones to get to where I wanted to be. It was worth it in my case.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
OP: I'm sure you'll be saying the total opposite when you lose your job, you're starving and are struggling to survive.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
OP: I'm sure you'll be saying the total opposite when you lose your job, you're starving and are struggling to survive.
When I was in that shape, I got up early, and stayed up late. I sold newspapers on the corner, I went door to door, asking for any work, but no hand outs, ever. I also cleaned filing station bathrooms. I raked yards, and removed debris from roofs and gutters. I would not quit, till I had a pocket full of change. And 35 years later, I'm prepared to do the same thing again if need be. I have no quit in me. but have had hard times fall on me. It defines who we are--get out and get some. You can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates