Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times

Advertisements

By the way, what about people who become physically disabled at a young age?

That would be a different thread and a separate issue.

I despise it when people try to throw in unrelated matters to attempt to confuse an issue or to support a very weak point. It speaks of a lack of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:01 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Hey wait a minute. What you're saying is true but it's only 1/2 a story. There was not a 40% out of wedlock birth rate 50 years ago, or even 20 years ago. Fewer people divorced 50 years ago as well.

The high out of wedlock birth rate and the divorce culture also play significant roles in income inequality and stubbornly high poverty in America today.

People who get married and stay married accumulate much more financial assets than divorced or single people. And this is true at all income levels.
Hey, wait a minute - while I go off on a tangent?

I don't disagree with your assertions, but they have nothing to do with what I said. Of course there is a multitude of factors that can have a major impact on a given individual's personal well being. That has always been the case and won't change.

My point that you quoted was an expression of my frustration with "conservatives" who in knee-jerk fashion continue to support big business interests that have traded this country's future for their own despicable short term personal gain.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 AM

139 posts, read 568,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'll take a shot at it, as I don't think it is really all that complicated.

It is because the average American Joe-Schmo is getting a much smaller piece of the total economic pie than was the case 50 years ago. So the real question is - where are the dollars that used to end up in the pocket of Joe Schmo going?

The simple answer - to the obscenely wealthy, who today get a much larger piece of the pie - paid for by guess who? And, they are going overseas, whereas 50 years ago most of them stayed in America and were recirculated to the hands of middle class Americans.

Bit by bit, the great standard of living we enjoyed in the 50s and 60s has been stolen from us from soulless corporations and, to this day, we are doing very little about it.

As a life-long conservative, it breaks my heart to see what "conservatism" has become today in the minds of many. I almost never see another conservative break ranks and hold corporate America accountable for the pillaging of this nation that has brought us to our knees and left us with a future that is shaky and uncertain at best.

You nailed it.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Hey, wait a minute - while I go off on a tangent?

I don't disagree with your assertions, but they have nothing to do with what I said. Of course there is a multitude of factors that can have a major impact on a given individual's personal well being. That has always been the case and won't change.

My point that you quoted was an expression of my frustration with "conservatives" who in knee-jerk fashion continue to support big business interests that have traded this country's future for their own despicable short term personal gain.
Ok, I can go for that. Although the short term mentality is prevalent in both parties...it just shows up in different forms.

I just wanted to clarify that it can't be put 100% on one factor....and that's how it sounded to me in your previous post.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,694,054 times
Quote:
"ESTIMATED STATE MEDIAN INCOME, BY FAMILY SIZE AND BY STATE FOR FY 2009"

Your access is denied (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/.../SMI75FY09.pdf - broken link)
Thanks for the link, the median income for a single person family in Arizona is only $25K? I didn't know that.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:35 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
By the way, what about people who become physically disabled at a young age?

That would be a different thread and a separate issue.

I despise it when people try to throw in unrelated matters to attempt to confuse an issue or to support a very weak point. It speaks of a lack of intelligence.
LOL,, what a nice way of calling someone a dumb ass.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,488 times
Our Govt. has destroyed the middle class and has turned our economy into a predominantly 2 class system that simply consists of the" have,s and the have nots". History has shown what happens when this is allowed to continue to long, and it ain,t pretty.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I got to thinking about this the other day after a conversation with a co-worker.

He said that most people of my generation can't support themselves, and that we are living off of our parents and our government. I really disagree with this. I do see a lot of my old freinds who are losers, who don't support themselves, but many of them work hard, and just can't make ends meet all of the time.

Is this their fault, or is there a bigger problem? After all, back in the 60's and 70's, most households were single worker families. I mean that Dad worked, mom stayed home with the kids. This is virtually gone in the middle class today. I can't count on one hand the number of couples I know that only have one of them working.

So since most people have to have at least two folks working just to make ends meet, is it really the fault of singles that can't make a go of it. No one wants to live in public housing, but rent in many areas outside of the slummy part of tow is outrageous. Forget buying a house without at least 20,000 dollars down now-a-days.

Whats the problem with our society? Is it a matter of we expect to high of a standard of living? Is it that inflation has reached a point where single workers can't make it on their own? Is it a since of entitlement? Is it the government giving to many hand outs?

What say y'all?
Simple opinion.

I'm single - been single for 5 years - and I've survived on my own without assistance from anyone. I do it because it's what I want to do. I don't want to rely on anyone else. I don't subscribe to the theory that a dual income is required; it's all about the lifestyle you choose to live. If you want to keep up with the Jonses and whatnot then yeah, you're going to think you need more money. But chances are half of the stuff you've bought or financed wasn't necessary. Stories of people buying boats and SUVs and all this, then they lose their job and claim they're "struggling". It's because you put yourself in that situation.

It's all about knowing your boundaries. A lot of single people don't. They're either burning cash on cigarettes, weed, alcohol, cars, clubs, parties, bars, etc., or they just don't want to work hard to live the lifestyle that they want. You can't have it both ways. Either you're conservative and do the best you can with what you've got, or you bust your tail day in and day out to make the money to live the life. No free rides in life.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Thanks for the link, the median income for a single person family in Arizona is only $25K? I didn't know that.
Don't forget that a very high number of "single person families" are retired seniors living on social security.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
I find the original question to be posed sort of oddly. Single-person household doesn't equal young/just out of school/etc.
A minority of households in America are two-parent/kid households. Something like 25 percent of households are one person. Most of these are not young. I think there is a conflating of young=single=single-person household, with an assumption of coupling/kids as a "real adult" life, none of which is particularly true in fact, but maybe in perception.
I have always been a single-person household. I've lived alone since age 23, did not live with parents after age 20 when I dropped out of college (and could have lived on my own if I had stayed in Pittsburgh...) I never saw my adult future as being coupled, with kids, or a house. I always knew I'd have to support myself, regardless of my life circumstances and set about doing so.
I work with a lot of recent college grads who are still aiming/dreaming of grad school (in the psychiatric work world, tons of degrees beckon, unlike lots of jobs). They do seem to spend a lot of money of "stuff," and going out. When I was younger, I spent a lot of money on eating out but wasn't aiming at further school at the time, had a decent job and used car. Didn't like stuff and still don't.
I think younger people have been so innudated with advertising and TV stuff of rich people, stuff, and celebrity, and not enough critical thinking about all of the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates