Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,984,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
You didn't answer the question though. How big of a salt grain should I, in your opinion calculate into the numbers?

Would you agree that they killed more criminals in the past? Would you also agree that there were more murders per capita in the past? Do you see a correlation between the two?
Again, I never said what you should do about anything.
Live your life as you feel comfortable.

I just stated what I would do if encountering a criminal and how I feel law enforcement should just execute them instead of wasting money feeding and clothing them in jail.

To add I could care less about the statistics of the FBI, CIA, NASA, or anyone else who does such things.
Anyone can devise a study with charts and numbers and call it true.

The current way is not working.
And has not worked for a while.
Something totally different needs to be tried or the same results will continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,351,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
Again, I never said what you should do about anything.
Live your life as you feel comfortable.

I just stated what I would do if encountering a criminal and how I feel law enforcement should just execute them instead of wasting money feeding and clothing them in jail.

To add I could care less about the statistics of the FBI, CIA, NASA, or anyone else who does such things.
Anyone can devise a study with charts and numbers and call it true.

The current way is not working.
And has not worked for a while.
Something totally different needs to be tried or the same results will continue.
And what I'm trying to determine is what you feel is an accurate representation of what those results are.

It's a fairly simple question, I'm not asking you to tell me what to do, I'm asking for your impression.

FBI reports an estimated 16272 murder victims in 2008, do you think this number is a valid interpretation of facts or do you think it's higher or lower, and if so, what do you think is a more accurate number?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I think if we kill more criminals we will decrease the number of crimes and murders.
I know the politicians waste my tax dollars, and I disagree with that, but I disagree even more with wasting my tax dollars incarcerating some chump who stole, killed, raped, or molested children.

And oh I am quite overjoyed that you have a positive opinion of something I have posted.
Let me go celebrate... lolz
You don't know how many crimes and murders there are, those statistics are all lies.
You don't know how many criminals we kill, those statistics are all lies.
Politicians don't waste tax dollars, those statistics are all lies.
Criminals are not incarcerated, those statistics are all lies.

See? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, since you were not part of the team collecting the numbers.

You're just blowing out a lot of BS because you do not know anything except what you see in the street, and you have not seen any of the above.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Local story - Homeowner gets to intruder and deals some justice before the police could haul him away - after which they cuffed the homeowner and now he's facing assault charges! Outrageous!!! He was doing what anyone who's home has been invaded and family threatened should have the absolute right to do!

washingtonpost.com

"Police say they had brought the burglary suspect, Irvin R. Lambert, 51, to the ground and were handcuffing him when Anderson kicked him in the face. They charged Anderson with assault and battery. Paramedics treated Lambert at the scene for facial injuries, police said. Anderson and Prince William police disagree on the details of the incident last Saturday, which raises the question: Was Anderson a vigilante who helped catch a dangerous burglar or a father seeking to protect his family?"

Under the circumstances, I would have done the same. If I catch someone inside, it's hunting season.
What? He calls the police, waits for them to make the arrest and then when the suspect is defenseless kicks him in the face. That is heroic conduct? You must be related to Dick Cheney.

Last edited by rhinestone; 04-06-2010 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The number of non-drug-related, non-gang-related homicides in the USA in which "wife and kids" are murdered by a stranger or an intruder is, in some years, zero. So, stop associating with drug dealers, and get out of the gang, and you have nothing to worry about.
Man shoots sex offender attempting home invasion; Columbus Dispatch describes aggressor as "victim"

Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
What? He calls the police, waits for them to make the arrest and then when the suspect is defenseless kicks him in the face. That is heroic conduct? You must be related to Dick Cheney.
I object to your use of the word "suspect". This was a felon fleeing the scene of his crime.

According to the original story (did you even read it?), he did not call the police and "wait for them to make the arrest". He and the police arrived at the same time, pursued the fleeing perp together, and in the process of the perp getting handcuffed, the homeowner got in one or more kicks to the burgular who had fled the house where the homeowner's child and nephew had been threatened by the intrusion into their home and were hiding in terror. The story clearly states that the intruder was not yet handcuffed but was in the process of being so.

"Anderson, 44, said that he started chasing the suspect first and that police are not giving him credit for helping to capture Lambert. He did not acknowledge kicking Lambert, but he didn't deny it, either. Instead, in an interview Friday, he described what it felt like to hear the fear in his daughter's voice and said he reacted instinctively."

Sounds like he may have got to the perp first. In any case, he reacted "instinctively" in striking the man who had threatened his family members.

"From that point on, you're not thinking clearly," he said. "The biggest thing for me was feeling violated and that my daughter and nephew were in the house.""

Let's not equate what the homeowner did with what was done by the felon who was fleeing the scene.

This thread has veered way off into a discussion of what should be done with intruders in general. I have stated, and will restate, that personally I would have no problem with terminating any intruder I find within my house, regardless of them being there to attack or 'merely' to rob me. Under the Castle Doctrine, this is a legitimate use of deadly force as one cannot ascertain the intentions and can reasonably assume they are there to inflict harm. Castle Doctrine negates any duty to retreat within one's own home - it gives a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place, and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable force under the Castle Doctrine.

In the original story, the intruder was already outside the home and as such is not subject to being shot. OK, so he wasn't, he just got roughed up a bit. Big deal. I'd bet anything that the perp is already a free man and if he hasn't already, will soon be breaking in somewhere else.

I hope there's a follow-up to this and we can find what the resolution is. And yes, I'd donate to a defense fund for this guy.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 04-06-2010 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Give the guy a break, he had a little adrenelin flowing, it was his daughter afterall. Ever see a cop kick or punch someone after they're cuffed, happens all the time.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Ever see a cop kick or punch someone after they're cuffed, happens all the time.
As per the OP, are those cops given medals? Do they gloat about it in their crime scene report? Why not?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,351,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Give the guy a break, he had a little adrenelin flowing, it was his daughter afterall. Ever see a cop kick or punch someone after they're cuffed, happens all the time.
Does that make it better?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM

I have no sympathy for criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates