Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. Of those of you who support the Castle Doctrine, how many of you also think the police ought to have more latitude to make warrantless searches, seizures, wiretaps, etc. in somebody ELSE's castle?

Just for fun, supposing you walk in your house and there's a guy in there that you don't know, and he holds up a wallet and a piece of paper and says "I'm a police officer and I have a warrant". Do you shoot first and look at the warrant later? Or can a burglar get the upper hand on you just by saying the magic words "I'm a cop".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
I don't think one should kick (the word kick implies by foot, right?) anyone in the face. People who do that are little monsters themselves even if they claim to defend themselves.
I hope that guy gets sentenced...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
Poor criminal.

It reminds me of the story of the robber who got locked in someone's garage for 5+ days years ago. The homeowner knew the locks were broken, but went on vacation without fixing them.

The criminal won a $100k+ lawsuit against the homeowner for cruel and unusual punishment or unlawful detention or something. That jury, and several other posters here, have a strange sense of what is right and what is wrong.

Should the guy have done it? No. Would the burglar have gotten kicked in the face by him if he hadn't been in the process of committing a crime. Absolutely not. It's called 'reaping what you sow'.

My dh was just telling me about a guy who got into an argument with his liberal neighbor who thinks owning a gun should be illegal and that you do not have the right to shoot someone in your home - they'd been having a lot of break-ins in the neighborhood, which is what prompted the conversation. So he put a sign in his yard that said something like, "I'm a member of the NRA and the proud owner of several firearms. My neighbor doesn't own a gun or believe in violence" and there was an arrow pointing to the guy's house.

The liberal neighbor sued the other guy - that's what libs do. But I fail to see why he didn't want the world to know that he doesn't believe in firearms or defending yourself.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Poor criminal.

It reminds me of the story of the robber who got locked in someone's garage for 5+ days years ago. The homeowner knew the locks were broken, but went on vacation without fixing them.

The criminal won a $100k+ lawsuit against the homeowner for cruel and unusual punishment or unlawful detention or something. That jury, and several other posters here, have a strange sense of what is right and what is wrong.

Should the guy have done it? No. Would the burglar have gotten kicked in the face by him if he hadn't been in the process of committing a crime. Absolutely not. It's called 'reaping what you sow'.
No, it's called abuse of power.

There is nothing strange about thinking that there's due course, and that things should be dealt with appropriately.

I think it's far stranger to willingly stoop to the intruders level like that.

The man who locked the robber in the garage should have called the police instantly after doing so, let judicial system deal with it, and keep his $100k. Because that's how things work in a civilized society, we raise above our bad apples, and claim a moral and ethical standard above what they operate on.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
But I fail to see why he didn't want the world to know that he doesn't believe in firearms or defending yourself.

Now that you're protected by a gun, is there an inventory board on your front lawn itemizing the value of the contents of your house and a diagram showing where they are located, and a schedule of what time you come and go? Sometimes I think I am arguing with fifth graders.

If you, for any reason, need to carry some unusual amount of cash on you, do you want me walking behind you with a sign pointing to you saying "Carrying lots of cash"? Would you hold me criminally liable, if I did, and you were robbed?

I never lock my house, whether I'm inside or out. It gives me a sense of freedom and security to know that I don't feel like I need to. That feeling is worth more to me than my $139 TV. But why would I put up a sign telling people that? It must be a terrible feeling to live your whole life in so much fear that you have to arm yourself. To spend thousands of dollars on guns, and hundreds of hours learning to use them, when they are so unnecessary.

Besides, all burglars are liberals, and there is honor among thieves, so put up any sign you want. Ever see a liberal whose car has been keyed? What's the fun of keying a '98 Corolla?

Last edited by jtur88; 03-28-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 AM

...I have to drive a Toyota?

(Funnily enough that's exactly the car I have at the moment, lol, it's not one I aspire to own in the future though)

Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
...I have to drive a Toyota?

(Funnily enough that's exactly the car I have at the moment, lol, it's not one I aspire to own in the future though)
Can I have yours when you're done with it? It's what I aspire to own in the future.

If you aspire to own what other people aspire to steal, you shall lie in the bed you make. You must learn to place your desires above those of common thieves.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can I have yours when you're done with it? It's what I aspire to own in the future.

If you aspire to own what other people aspire to steal, you shall lie in the bed you make. You must learn to place your desires above those of common thieves.
If it's stolen it's stolen, that's what theft insurance is for.

And you can have mine for the noble sum of $6500, plus the cost of shipping it to the states, roughly $2000.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If it's stolen it's stolen, that's what theft insurance is for.

And you can have mine for the noble sum of $6500, plus the cost of shipping it to the states, roughly $2000.
Who pays the premium on your theft insurance? How much is it? I wouldn't know, I don't need it.

You gonna eat those french fries? How much do you want for them?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think I am arguing with fifth graders.
So now you know how we feel when we see your posts. Sometimes I'd rather see a fifth grader.

Quote:
I never lock my house, whether I'm inside or out. It gives me a sense of freedom and security to know that I don't feel like I need to. That feeling is worth more to me than my $139 TV. But why would I put up a sign telling people that? It must be a terrible feeling to live your whole life in so much fear that you have to arm yourself. To spend thousands of dollars on guns, and hundreds of hours learning to use them, when they are so unnecessary.
So what you're saying is "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose"? Hmmm.... catchy idea. Maybe someone could write a song or something based on that.

Actually, like many of the tools I own, I like my guns - actually I also like wind-up clocks and any other well-made, precision mechanical instruments. I also enjoy target shooting on a regular basis. It's good recreation and a great stress reliever! I don't live my life based on fear, but know that if and when a situation arises, I'm prepared for it. Sorta like the same reason I have a spare tire - I don't eagerly anticipate the next time I run over a nail, but if it does happen I'm prepared to handle it and have thought in advance what steps will be necessary to effect a solution. Guns are simply a tool to perform a task, not unlike a hammer being best at driving nails.

No comments on that break-in-and-murder story in Virginia, eh?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates