Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,023,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
How demeaning towards the people who were mass murdered or are still oppressed to this day because of their skin color. Please go ahead and tell them their skin color is "meaningless".

Of course, one person has to take my point entirely the wrong way. I meant "meaningless" in the sense that skin colour SHOULD NEVER BE A REASON TO DISCIMINATE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I meant IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT COLOUR ANYBODY'S SKIN IS!!!!!!!!!

IT makes no difference to their personality, no difference to their integrity, no difference to ANYTHING, it's only an issue to those who are RACIST, which is what I am entirely AGAINST!!

My Good God, do I really have to spell it out to you babies? Sounds like you, dusk99, no matter which colour you are, are one of those sad people who takes offense at everything, and that's your problem not mine.

Last edited by RichardW; 04-15-2010 at 05:37 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,282,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Seriously, what's your problem? Get over yourself already.
He's trying to prove blacks are equal to Whites, ever read The Bell Curve?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Oh, you don't want to get started on that. A government telling people where they can and cannot live based on ethnicity...that's been done before. It's known as apartheid, and it's gonna be a tough sell, to say the least!
We already have, it's called section 8.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,984,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
I feel that people have the right to live where they want. If someone wants to live in an all-white city so be it. Personally I thought that most cities in the United States were majority white outside of a few urban areas since African-Americans are only 12% of the population.

I'm an African-American who is planning to relocate to Brazil to live in a 90% black city. As a black person I have never had a desire to live in a city that wasn't predominantly black not because I am a racist it's just that is what I desire. I prefer to live among my own than to live among people who are hostile to my very existence and see a black or brown face as an aberration.

White Americans don't have to worry. There isn't going to be a black takeover. Matter-of-fact as some black Americans gain some measure of affluence a good number of us will actually be looking to become expatriates.
When I gain enough wealth I know i am moving elsewhere.
Nothing against the states, but as far as I see it I just happened to be born here.

With the exception of some possibly strongly racial pride/racist towns and cities in the US, I have associates all over the states and have not heard of anyone being kept out of a particular city.

Its more so that people move to areas that attract them financially and culturally.
For quite a few Black Americans this means choosing places where quite a few other black people already live.
It is a comfort thing.

Having been a poverty stricken minority kid sent to a mainly caucasian private school in seventh grade because my folks thought it would keep me away from the thuggish friends I understand about being where you are comfortable.
I did not feel comfortable because I really had nothing in common with the kids from wealthy backgrounds.
My home and social life was totally different.
It did teach me that race, although an issue with some people, was not an issue with everyone.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 AM

894 posts, read 1,128,121 times
@nichirenx, I know this is off-topic ... reading your "status" and "location", I have to ask ... are you really homeless?

If so, is there anything I can do to help?

You can send me a private message if you'd like. I'm expressing genuine concern, so please don't take it the wrong way.

I'm blind and do a lot of volunteer work for the disabled and homeless and I might be able to provide some information and/or help for you.

I pray that your situation changes. I truly wish you the best.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,335,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Both of my oldst sons were pulled over regularly in Braddock, Pa just for being White, I had no problem with it.
I understand how you/they must feel but understand that braddock cops will pull over anyone for anything......they need the money. Hell I got pulled over in a black neighborhood for no reason and Im Black! That is more of an individual attitude cop thing

Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,984,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
@nichirenx, I know this is off-topic ... reading your "status" and "location", I have to ask ... are you really homeless?

If so, is there anything I can do to help?

You can send me a private message if you'd like. I'm expressing genuine concern, so please don't take it the wrong way.

I'm blind and do a lot of volunteer work for the disabled and homeless and I might be able to provide some information and/or help for you.

I pray that your situation changes. I truly wish you the best.
Geek. Thanks for the care, offer of generosity kindness but no I am not homeless.
I was for about two years years back.
I just move around a lot in my local area now.

I actually put that location there because I thought of it while making my profile.
On one of my myspace accounts I have the Q-continuum as my location.

I do apologize for if I offended or mislead you in any way.
And you have my utmost respect for the contributions you make to humanity.
Kudos to you.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I understand how you/they must feel but understand that braddock cops will pull over anyone for anything......they need the money. Hell I got pulled over in a black neighborhood for no reason and Im Black! That is more of an individual attitude cop thing
No, Braddock is infested with drug dealers and when they see young white guys they think they are there to buy drugs, I understand, because they are trying to stem the drug dealing.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM

894 posts, read 1,128,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
Geek. Thanks for the care, offer of generosity kindness but no I am not homeless.
I was for about two years years back.
I just move around a lot in my local area now.

I actually put that location there because I thought of it while making my profile.
On one of my myspace accounts I have the Q-continuum as my location.

I do apologize for if I offended or mislead you in any way.
And you have my utmost respect for the contributions you make to humanity.
Kudos to you.
Oh, you don't need to apologize.

I don't feel mislead, or offended. I'm so glad you were able to turn your circumstances around. I truly feel for anyone who is homeless. Society just seems to turn their back and ignore it. Doing that, doesn't help fix the problem. People actually have to care and get involved if they want to improve the quality of life for all citizens.

Thank you for the friend invite.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,721,867 times
I think we are at a critical juncture in America in regards to race relations. Historically, whites have been the antagonist and black the protagonist. This has left a stain upon the moral image of white America and white America is desperate to hide that stain. That’s the problem. White’s efforts are at covering up the stain and not cleaning up the stain.

Today, no one is a self described racist. I don’t care who you ask or what hate group they belong; they will not acquiesce to the label of racist. When members of traditional hate groups don’t see themselves as racist, when the obviously are, it renders everyone’s personal exemption to be meaningless. The only time whites tend to acknowledge white racism, these days, is to mention it in the same breath as black racism, to make it a wash. The implications being that both are the moral equivalence.

When whites are not covering up the stain many are now saying that it is not actually a stain, but simply part of the fabric. It works like this. Truth is righteous. Racism is unrighteous. Hence, their observations of blacks are based upon truths, which are backed up by statistics and hence their perception of blacks is based upon TRUISM and not RACISM. If one does not want to live around blacks for fear of violent crime, such is not racism, but a truism backed by data. If one does not want to send their kids to school with blacks, because predominately black’s schools have lots of problems, such is not racism, but rather, truism. Therefore, whites who feel this way don’t see themselves as racist because they are basing their opinion on verifiable truths. So they are not racist, just righteous.

The problem is that people never ask what makes these truths true, if they are indeed true. What these truisms demonstrate is that black perform or behave on a level below whites, on average, which implies that for some reason, the average black person in inferior to the average white person. Why? What is the truism that explains the why? Well, there can only be internal stimuli and external stimuli or in other words, nurture or nature that explains it. Deductively, we know that whites overwhelmingly reject the notion that black behavior and problems of today are a reaction to the nurturing of a racist society. That’s considered and excuse or the “race card”….i.e.….a lie. Thus, with the external eliminated, deductively that only leads to the internal. Blacks, on average, are just inferior BY THEIR NATURE. Its only when you loop through the “why” (such is why is it true that blacks commit more crime? Then ask why to the answer that’s given…. ) that you uncover the stain.

There are also certain myths about what makes one not a racist. There is the myth that to be racist you must hate. There is the myth that to be a racist, you can’t have any black friends. There is the myth that to be a racist, you cannot have dated a black person. There is the myth that to be a racist you cannot grant exception to any black person and must look down upon them all. There is the myth that to be a racist you cannot see any black person in a favorable light. There is the myth that to be a racist, you could not have voted for Barak Obama. In general it’s a myth that one must “hate” EVERY black person in order to be a racist.

I point out these myths because racism in not rooted in HATE and its not rooted in ABSOLUTISM. The roots of racism are RATIONALIZATIONS (not emotions) of a racial hierarchy in which one race is inherently superior to the other(s). One does not have to hate something to believe that it is inferior. Many people love their pets, but they don’t see their pets as their equals in capacity. Thus, just because one does not hate black people does not mean that they do not see blacks as inferior. Also, the fact that individuals can and do acknowledge that some blacks are exceptional and hence worthy of their admiration, attraction and approval does not mean that you see the “Average” black person as on par with the average white person. In other words, racism is not how you feel about an individual, but rather, how you feel about “the group”. Hence, using “friends” who are black, blacks who you have dated, voting for the first black president or not harboring hate does not mean that you are not racist.

To me, the people who are not racist are the people who respect cause and effect and actions producing reaction. People who respect that the condition of everything, today, is the result of an evolution of actions and reactions over time, have the foundation to be free of racism. People who dismiss the past dismiss the EXPLANTION of why things are they way they are. If one dismisses the past they are invested in ignorance for a purpose and that purpose is usually to hold onto a preconceived notion or belief. The present cannot be explained without the use of the past because all actions create reactions that manifest over the time conium. Thus, its only the people who look at the past in conjunction with the present with the acknowledgement that actions create reactions and that the actions of 300 years worth of racism produced a reaction that manifest the present black condition in America. The inability or unwillingness to do this makes one a racist out of low IQ ignorance or willful ignorance. For when you elminate the past....it only leaves observations as explanation which then people can fill in the blanks with their prejudice.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-15-2010 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.