Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM

42 posts, read 76,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
It's so ironic that you are in Detroit...the poster city of "white flight".
I don't understand how the irony in my beliefs and something that happened half a century ago.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Whats the probelm? there are already predominately white cities, Pittsburgh is one of them. Personally I really would not care if the city is occupied by martians as long as when a minority drives through there he/she is not accosted.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,569,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Well I've lived in Portland for 35 years and as far as I know anybody of any ethnicity is welcome to move here. We have a a sizable Hispanic community that is well entrenched in Portland and suburbs. In my everyday life I run into Koreans, Vietnamese, Hispanic, Japanese, Chinese and yes, a few African Americans. We are not as lily white as the article would have you believe, And for the record we have ethnic restaurants up the wazoo and a frequently lauded restaurant scene on the whole. Our diversity is what it is and isn't because we are keeping anyone out. Why all the agony over it? Come one, come all - you are welcome here.
Kind of a side topic from the specifically PDX one but, there's the same thing in Austin, believe it or not, but I'm not so sure just having a bunch of various little insular communities of immigrants is necessarily beneficial to anyone. Unless someone is just into patting themself on the back about how racially diverse their city is..."Ew Ew! Look, a Korean! Bingo! BINGO!!"

I mean, what does it matter if anyone's city is 'diverse' if there's no common
thread to unify the diversity and benefit from it's innumerable unique viewpoints?

This goes for America as well. Without a common theme, a sense of unity,
all those various factions fighting selfishly for their own race, culture or cause just weaken the country as a whole.

It's assimilation vs multiculturalism.

Whatever.

Last edited by brubaker; 04-06-2010 at 11:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 27,530 times
Quote:
You're naming one of a few black serial killers/mass killers out of MANY white. I was just making a point that there is always someone complaining about minorities moving into their "perfect white" neighborhoods, when in reality they're not so perfect.

Howard Arthur Allen. Indianapolis. 3 or more victims.

Jake Bird. Tacoma, Washington. He offed two in the Tacoma area in the 1940s and a total of 44 nationwide.

Terry A. Blair. Kansas City area. 8 victims. 2003-4.

Arthur Bomar. Philadelphia and Nevada. 4 or 5 victims.

Daniel Andrew Bowler. Richmond, [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Virginia[/color][/color]. 3 victims.

Eugene Britt. Gary, Indiana. 10 or more victims.

Maurice Byrd. St. Louis area. 20 victims.

Reginald and Jonathan Carr. Wichita, Kansas. 5 victims.

Jarvis Catoe. New York City. 13 victims. 1941-42.

Leonard Christopher. Philadelpha. 7 victims. 1980s.

Alton Coleman. Midwestern USA. 8 victims.

Andre Crawford. Southside Chicago. 10 victims.

Paul Durousseau. Jacksonvile, Florida; Georgia. 6 victims, two of which were pregnant women.

Lorenzo Fayne. East St. Louis, Illinois. 5 victims, all children.

Kendall Francois. Poughkeepsie, [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]New [COLOR=#739912 ! important]York[/color][/color][/color]
and environs. 8 victims, all women.

Carlton Gary. Columbus, Georgia. 3 victims.

Lorenzo J. Gilyard. Kansas City, Missouri. 12 victims, all women.(May be Missouri's worst serial killer ever, according to the Kansas City Star.)

Mark Goudeau. Valley of the Sun, Arizona. "Baseline Killer." 9 kills, along with 15 sexual assaults and 11 kidnappings during his year-long spree.

Harrison Graham. North Philadelphia city. 7 victims, possibly more.

Vaughn Greenwood. Louisiana. 11 victims.

Kevin and Reginald Haley. Los Angeles. 8 victims. 1979-84.
Ralph Harris. Southside Chicago. 6 victims, along with 13 armed robberies and 6 sexual assaults. The first four murders in 1992 and the final two in 1995 sandwiched a prison stint for armed robbery.

Clarence Hill. Bucks County, PA. "Duck Island Killer." 6 victims, three pairs of "lovers lane" couples. 1939-42.

Ivan Hill. Los Angeles. "60 Freeway Slayer." 6 women. 1993-4.

Elton M. Jackson. [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Norfolk[/color][/color], Virginia area. 12 victims.

Calvin Jackson. New York State. 9 victims, possibly more.

Edward James. Las [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Vegas[/color][/color]. 3 victims.(He and Troy Sampson [see below] were both "thrill" serial killers, who brutally murdered random, innocent white people -- EPH)

Richard "Babyface" Jameswhite. New York State; Georgia. 15 victims.

Milton Johnson. Joliet, IL. 4 victims.

Devine Jones. St. Louis area. 3 victims, possibly more.

Henry Lee Jones. Southern Florida; Bartlett, Tennessee. 4 victims, possibly more.

Arhon Kee. Harlem, New York City, New York. 3 girls. Late 1990s.

Gregory Klepper. Southside Chicago. 8 victims.

Derrick Todd Lee. Southern Louisiana. 5 victims.

Matthew Macon. Central Michigan. 7 victims.

Hulon Mitchell, a.k.a. Yahweh Ben Yahweh. Florida. 20 victims, possibly more.

John Allan Mohammed and Lee Boyd Malvo. Washington, D.C. and suburbs in Maryland and Virginia; Montgomery, Alabama; [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Baton [COLOR=#739912 ! important]Rouge[/color][/color][/color], Louisiana; Tacoma, Washington; Georgia; Tucson, Arizona. 13 to 19 victims, and probalby many many more.

Edward Lee Mosley. Southern Florida. 25 to 30 victims, all women.

Mohammed Alan Omar. Country of Yemen. 16 victims, all women.(Omar is Sudanese.)

Gerald Parker. "The Bedroom Basher." 6 white women, Southern CA.

Craig Price. Warwick, Rhode Island. 4 victims.

Cleophus Prince. San Diego, California. 6 victims.

Richmond Trio. Ricky Jovan Gray, Ashley Baskerville and Ray Joseph Dandridge. Richmond, VA. 8 victims among the three of them in several loosely related serial murder incidents.

Robert Rozier. Miami, Florida. 6 victims.

George Russell. [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Washington [COLOR=#739912 ! important]State[/color][/color][/color]. 3 victims, all women.

Troy Sampson.(See Edward James, above.)

Lemuel Smith. Upstate New York. 4 victims.

Timothy W. Spencer. Arlington, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia. 5 victims.

Maury Travis. St. Louis area; Atlanta area (?). 17 victims, possibly more.

Chester Dewayne Turner. Los Angeles. 12 victims, all women.

Unidentified. Indianapolis. 15 victims.

Michael Vernon. The Bronx, New York. 7 victims.(Five of his victims he killed in a shoe store because the store did not have shoes in his size. He later offed one pizza delivery man and one gypsy cab driver.)

Henry Louis Wallace. Charlotte, North Carolina. 9 victims.

Coral Eugene Watts. Texas; Michigan; Canada. He has confessed to 13 killings, but is suspected in as many as 80 killings.)

John Williams, Jr. Raleigh, North Carolina. 5 victims. 1990s.

Wayne Williams. Atlanta area. 33 victims.

Donald E. Younge, Jr. East St. Louis, Illinois; Salt Lake City, Utah. 4 victims.

Zebra Killers. Three convicted in San Francisco. 78 victims.

I can post pages of 'em...all black. Shall I go on, or are you going to continue to wallow in your ignorance?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 27,530 times
And once you compare the number of blacks in this country to whites the statistics show that blacks ARE MORE LIKELY to be a serial killer than whites

Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I don't understand why people are so eager to disparage 'White cities' for a lack of diversity.

Cities in 'White countries' are by far the most racially and ethnically diverse in the world.

Go to Calcutta, Nairobi, Lagos, Beijing, Lima, Hanoi or any other huge world cities and tell me how diverse they are compared to Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, London, Paris, Oslo or Amsterdam.

So called "White cities" are the paragon of diversity in this world.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzz View Post
Howard Arthur Allen. Indianapolis. 3 or more victims.

Jake Bird. Tacoma, Washington. He offed two in the Tacoma area in the 1940s and a total of 44 nationwide.

Terry A. Blair. Kansas City area. 8 victims. 2003-4.

Arthur Bomar. Philadelphia and Nevada. 4 or 5 victims.

Daniel Andrew Bowler. Richmond, [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Virginia[/color][/color]. 3 victims.

Eugene Britt. Gary, Indiana. 10 or more victims.

Maurice Byrd. St. Louis area. 20 victims.

Reginald and Jonathan Carr. Wichita, Kansas. 5 victims.

Jarvis Catoe. New York City. 13 victims. 1941-42.

Leonard Christopher. Philadelpha. 7 victims. 1980s.

Alton Coleman. Midwestern USA. 8 victims.

Andre Crawford. Southside Chicago. 10 victims.

Paul Durousseau. Jacksonvile, Florida; Georgia. 6 victims, two of which were pregnant women.

Lorenzo Fayne. East St. Louis, Illinois. 5 victims, all children.

Kendall Francois. Poughkeepsie, [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]New [COLOR=#739912 ! important]York[/color][/color][/color]
and environs. 8 victims, all women.

Carlton Gary. Columbus, Georgia. 3 victims.

Lorenzo J. Gilyard. Kansas City, Missouri. 12 victims, all women.(May be Missouri's worst serial killer ever, according to the Kansas City Star.)

Mark Goudeau. Valley of the Sun, Arizona. "Baseline Killer." 9 kills, along with 15 sexual assaults and 11 kidnappings during his year-long spree.

Harrison Graham. North Philadelphia city. 7 victims, possibly more.

Vaughn Greenwood. Louisiana. 11 victims.

Kevin and Reginald Haley. Los Angeles. 8 victims. 1979-84.
Ralph Harris. Southside Chicago. 6 victims, along with 13 armed robberies and 6 sexual assaults. The first four murders in 1992 and the final two in 1995 sandwiched a prison stint for armed robbery.

Clarence Hill. Bucks County, PA. "Duck Island Killer." 6 victims, three pairs of "lovers lane" couples. 1939-42.

Ivan Hill. Los Angeles. "60 Freeway Slayer." 6 women. 1993-4.

Elton M. Jackson. [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Norfolk[/color][/color], Virginia area. 12 victims.

Calvin Jackson. New York State. 9 victims, possibly more.

Edward James. Las [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Vegas[/color][/color]. 3 victims.(He and Troy Sampson [see below] were both "thrill" serial killers, who brutally murdered random, innocent white people -- EPH)

Richard "Babyface" Jameswhite. New York State; Georgia. 15 victims.

Milton Johnson. Joliet, IL. 4 victims.

Devine Jones. St. Louis area. 3 victims, possibly more.

Henry Lee Jones. Southern Florida; Bartlett, Tennessee. 4 victims, possibly more.

Arhon Kee. Harlem, New York City, New York. 3 girls. Late 1990s.

Gregory Klepper. Southside Chicago. 8 victims.

Derrick Todd Lee. Southern Louisiana. 5 victims.

Matthew Macon. Central Michigan. 7 victims.

Hulon Mitchell, a.k.a. Yahweh Ben Yahweh. Florida. 20 victims, possibly more.

John Allan Mohammed and Lee Boyd Malvo. Washington, D.C. and suburbs in Maryland and Virginia; Montgomery, Alabama; [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Baton [COLOR=#739912 ! important]Rouge[/color][/color][/color], Louisiana; Tacoma, Washington; Georgia; Tucson, Arizona. 13 to 19 victims, and probalby many many more.

Edward Lee Mosley. Southern Florida. 25 to 30 victims, all women.

Mohammed Alan Omar. Country of Yemen. 16 victims, all women.(Omar is Sudanese.)

Gerald Parker. "The Bedroom Basher." 6 white women, Southern CA.

Craig Price. Warwick, Rhode Island. 4 victims.

Cleophus Prince. San Diego, California. 6 victims.

Richmond Trio. Ricky Jovan Gray, Ashley Baskerville and Ray Joseph Dandridge. Richmond, VA. 8 victims among the three of them in several loosely related serial murder incidents.

Robert Rozier. Miami, Florida. 6 victims.

George Russell. [COLOR=#739912 ! important][COLOR=#739912 ! important]Washington [COLOR=#739912 ! important]State[/color][/color][/color]. 3 victims, all women.

Troy Sampson.(See Edward James, above.)

Lemuel Smith. Upstate New York. 4 victims.

Timothy W. Spencer. Arlington, Virginia and Richmond, Virginia. 5 victims.

Maury Travis. St. Louis area; Atlanta area (?). 17 victims, possibly more.

Chester Dewayne Turner. Los Angeles. 12 victims, all women.

Unidentified. Indianapolis. 15 victims.

Michael Vernon. The Bronx, New York. 7 victims.(Five of his victims he killed in a shoe store because the store did not have shoes in his size. He later offed one pizza delivery man and one gypsy cab driver.)

Henry Louis Wallace. Charlotte, North Carolina. 9 victims.

Coral Eugene Watts. Texas; Michigan; Canada. He has confessed to 13 killings, but is suspected in as many as 80 killings.)

John Williams, Jr. Raleigh, North Carolina. 5 victims. 1990s.

Wayne Williams. Atlanta area. 33 victims.

Donald E. Younge, Jr. East St. Louis, Illinois; Salt Lake City, Utah. 4 victims.

Zebra Killers. Three convicted in San Francisco. 78 victims.

I can post pages of 'em...all black. Shall I go on, or are you going to continue to wallow in your ignorance?

Wow, how long did it take you to research this? Adolph Hitler a white man...11 million people died.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,412,048 times
Quote:
Wow, how long did it take you to research this? Adolph Hitler a white man...11 million people died.
Why do you continue to argue with others? You came into this thread with hostility and ignorance. It's obvious by now that you're getting on people's nerves. Apparently, you didn't read my note at the bottom of my original post. Heck, for all I know, you probably didn't read my original post at all.

Also, why do you seem to resent white people so much?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:45 PM

580 posts, read 1,082,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Kind of a side topic from the specifically PDX one but, there's the same thing in Austin, believe it or not, but I'm not so sure just having a bunch of various little insular communities of immigrants is necessarily beneficial to anyone. Unless someone is just into patting themself on the back about how racially diverse their city is..."Ew Ew! Look, a Korean! Bingo! BINGO!!"

I mean, what does it matter if anyone's city is 'diverse' if there's no common
thread to unify the diversity and benefit from it's innumerable unique viewpoints?

This goes for America as well. Without a common theme, a sense of unity,
all those various factions fighting selfishly for their own race, culture or cause just weaken the country as a whole.

It's assimilation vs multiculturalism.

Whatever.
Afreakingmen!

Though I will say that having people of different races in one's community theoretically is what gives people in that community different points of view and opinions.

However, you're exactly right in that people should also feel a bond to their community. It's perfectly fine to be a proud member of whatever ethnicity, religion, etc. you belong to, but in a multicultural area what's really important is that you recognize what unites you more so than what might differentiate you.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
This article (http://www.newgeography.com/content/00609-sushi-without-japanese-portlands-cultural-dilemma - broken link) irritates me. I'm not going to call it anti-white, but I'm going to call it "irritating". I don't understand what's wrong with living in a city that has a European American majority.

This is why I think multiculturalism and racial diversity is overrated.

A city doesn't have to have a non-white majority to be a good place to live.

To be honest, it's crap like the statements in that article that make me feel a little insignificant in America just because of my race (White/Caucasian). It makes me feel that I have no culture just because of my race. Every human being belongs to a culture regardless of their race or ethnicity.

Here's a quote from the article:

Advocating for the coloring of white neighborhoods seems extreme. But Portlanders do themselves a disservice by not at least discussing the potential consequences of living in a whitewashed city.

My question is: What the hell?

I know I make quite a few threads on race, but there are many things about it that just annoy me, such as the content of that article.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*Please don't complain about me or my post. I've had enough of people doing that when I make threads. Just state your thoughts and opinions. That's all I ask*
Darien, CT, for instance? The people who live in a white majority city like Darien tend to be snobbish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.